Author Topic: Shinko on EV?  (Read 7981 times)

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Shinko on EV?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 10:08:33 AM »

How many miles between the bottom shot and the top ?

I don't recall but know the tires were less than 2 years old and less than 5,000 miles on them
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »
So im not seeing any 140/80 listed for the shinkos.. are you guys all running the 130/90's on your EV and stones??

1998 EV
Shinko 712 Rear Tire 130/90-17 68H
Shinko 230 Front Tour Master Tire 110/90-18 61V
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »
Huzo,

Is change that hard for you or is this a special case?
Not meaning to be coy here but if you have real world experience from this forum on Shinkos wouldn’t you at least “want “ to give them a go?

BTW, I am NOT being paid nor am I in any way affiliated with shinko.

inditx
p..s They purchased the molds and such from Yokohama back in 98, does that help the argument or hurt it?  :undecided:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »
I have been using ME880 and 888 on the EVT and HD and S11's on the loops. Tried the Michelin Commander rear 160/70-17 on my EV but didn't care for it's wet traction, I think it has about 9K miles and looks good for another 9K. Tried it on my HD, didn't care for it there either.

I do like the ME880 and 888 especially for the front. To me it has a confidence inspiring tread pattern.

On my EVT, when I pulled the Commander off, I decided to try the Shinko 777HD. So far so good, but have not had a chance to test it in the rain yet. So far I have about 6500 miles on it and it looks like it will go another 8-10K.

The issue I have with all tires is that I don't ride the twisties, mainly freeway, so the center is where it's really getting worn especially the rear. But than again I think it's good for another 8-10K. This is about what the ME880 gets.

At my tire shop, the price difference was not that much. I think the 777HD was about $170ish and the ME880 was just over $200 installed and balanced.

I do have a big issue with all mfg tires. Why can't they make a matching front and rear for my Guzzies that I like. I like the 888, I can get the front for the loops but not a rear. I can get the 777 for the rear of the EVT, but not the front, well maybe a 120/90-18 might just stuff in there. At least the S11 is a tire that I'm comfortable with and can get them for F/R. I looked at maybe getting the Shinko version of the S11 and they have a rear, but only the 100/90-18 for the front. I have always used the 110/90-18.

I do have a question on the Shinko Tourmaster. I looked at them and to me looked like they would have poor wet traction. What do you guys think about them?? I ask because the S11's are not showing on Bridgestone's web site. They MAY be going away??

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »

Offline unclepete

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »
Advertising costs a lot of money , and therefore adds to the price of the product .
All of the " premium " brands advertise heavily ; sponsoring racers , pages in magazines , mention in articles , pop-up ads , etc …
I have yet to see an ad for Shinko tires anywhere ; this forum is the first I had heard of them , so I have them on my Guzzi now .
I will probably try them on other bikes when the time comes , because they are nice tires .
It occurred to me that there is another way to promote a product without spending much on mainstream marketing methods : The Internet forum . The marketing guy could either idly mention a particular brand , or when the opportunity arose , start bad - mouthing the brand , causing others to come to its defense and singing its praises .

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »

The issue I have with all tires is that I don't ride the twisties, mainly freeway, so the center is where it's really getting worn especially the rear. But than again I think it's good for another 8-10K. This is about what the ME880 gets.

I'm good with all the likes and dislikes of Shinko's and I have them installed on a couple of my bikes and I like them fine.
The thing that is incomprehensible to me is the above quote about not riding the twisties  :shocked:. Just east of San Diego about 20 miles begins some of the best twistie riding roads I have ever been on.
I'm envious of anyone living in the area.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 11:45:20 AM »

I do have a question on the Shinko Tourmaster. I looked at them and to me looked like they would have poor wet traction. What do you guys think about them?? I ask because the S11's are not showing on Bridgestone's web site. They MAY be going away??

Tom

In my experience, the Shinko 230s have excellent wet traction, better than anything I've ever used in fact. 2018 was a wet one here in the east (75" of rain!) so I had lots of riding in not just wet roads, but in torrential downpours and everything in between. Never had a doubt about traction.

Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
I'm good with all the likes and dislikes of Shinko's and I have them installed on a couple of my bikes and I like them fine.
The thing that is incomprehensible to me is the above quote about not riding the twisties  :shocked:. Just east of San Diego about 20 miles begins some of the best twistie riding roads I have ever been on.
I'm envious of anyone living in the area.

Oh, I fully agree, but not everyone likes to do that stuff. <shrug> Different strokes for different folks and all that.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »
I always assumed riding twisties was the essence of motorcycling. I guess it would not be my first mis-assumption.
I just can't think of another reason to do it.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »
I didn't say I didn't like to ride up in the hills, it's the stop and go traffic, lane splitting for miles just to get there. I used to go to Malibu every weekend in my youth. The freeway traffic was not bad back then. Now it just seems like all the relaxation I get from the hills gets taken away getting there and back. Traffic out here sucks.

I'll take another look at the 230's when my loops are ready for a new set. Thanks!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 12:32:49 PM »
I always assumed riding twisties was the essence of motorcycling. I guess it would not be my first mis-assumption.
I just can't think of another reason to do it.

I started my riding journey in Daytona Beach, FL.  We had one curvy route through the Tomoka forest and it wasn't much. 

For me the essence of motorcycling was being out in the open.  No insurance cost.  Low maintenance cost.  Riding to the beach and on the beach in swim trunks and surfing sandals. 

When I moved to the Tennessee Valley 10 years later I realized I did not know how to ride a motorcycle.  Sure, I knew how to operate a motorcycle, but I didn't know how to ride a motorcycle.

I ride roads now that I recall being scared to death to ride those many years ago.  Of course now the eyes are starting to fail me so I am working towards being more timid on new roads.  Out here in the country it is very common for the road to curve just past the crest of a hill while a driveway continues ahead playing havoc with your vision and response while trying to decide where the road actually goes.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 12:38:26 PM »
I don't recall but know the tires were less than 2 years old and less than 5,000 miles on them
There was certainly some de lamination in the bottom shot.
Did you continue to ride it 'till the chunk came out, or tear it loose for added effect as shown in the top shot ?

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 01:02:36 PM »
Huzo, gentleman to gentleman, no  animosity,intended at all, have you or have you not, ran a Shinko on your bike?
I realize the name turns some fokes off, as if did me, the first time I heard of them. My first thought was "Chinese Junk" however after getting pounded by the popular main name brands prices, I did the sensible thing, I did the research and read dozens of reviews and never read a negative one! My first one sold me on the tires! Heck, try one on the back of your bike, save a hundred bucks with the experiment and if you aren't satisfied with the product then don't buy another one. To think badly of the tire without personal experience is somewhat nearsighted. Hope we are still buddies Mate;)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 01:05:28 PM »
Huzo buddy , hop your happy self and that Norge with its high priced tyres over here and see if you can keep up with my worn out Jackal with its cheap Shinkos on a twisty road  :tongue:

Dusty
I'd have no chance keeping up Dusty.
I'm not a fast rider and gave up trying to be, but I'd be prepared to indulge you in Victoria's high country or the Stelvio Pass or the Transfagarasan !
There's another thing I won't be swayed on.
 Looking at a brand new set of Pilot 5's with the mold tits on them, about to start an 18,000 k journey in Europe,  knowing that they'll do that distance, without having some butcher in Lithuania grappling with my alloy rims and 3' tyre levers sweating like a whore in a Church and cursing like a drunken sailor, does make me feel "happy".

My rear tyre costs me $1.50 for every 100 km give or take.
Interestingly if you do the math, every full tank of fuel used you can add $10, given that a set of tyres lasts about 50 full tanks at 500 k's per tank.
(That was a bit of a revelation..!)
But I digress..
Can you do the sums on the cost per KILOMETRE on a rear Shinko ?

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 01:09:54 PM »
 What's a kilometre ?

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 01:22:46 PM »
Huzo, gentleman to gentleman, no  animosity,intended at all, have you or have you not, ran a Shinko on your bike?
I realize the name turns some fokes off, as if did me, the first time I heard of them. My first thought was "Chinese Junk" however after getting pounded by the popular main name brands prices, I did the sensible thing, I did the research and read dozens of reviews and never read a negative one! My first one sold me on the tires! Heck, try one on the back of your bike, save a hundred bucks with the experiment and if you aren't satisfied with the product then don't buy another one. To think badly of the tire without personal experience is somewhat nearsighted. Hope we are still buddies Mate;)
Absolutely Officer, I never thought otherwise.
I did respond to your post asking if I had RAN a Shinko @ reply #21.
I did suggest that I had not, and there'd be more chance of a Bull going into orbit, than using one.
Chinese tyres on an Italian bike... all seems a bit cheap and nasty to me.
I love my Ropered/Beetled/Wired Norge and it loves me, I won't demean it by asking it to come with me on life affirming intercontinental journeys on "cheap" tyres.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:26:21 AM by Huzo »

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 01:27:35 PM »
 Huzo , you really need a geography lesson , South Korea isn't China .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 01:30:38 PM »
What's a kilometre ?

Dusty
If you tell me what miles you can do on a rear Shinko before it's shagged, I'll break out my abacus and grapple with some advanced mathematics.
Is the average Yank really as tight as a fish's arse, or does it just seem that way ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33:17 PM »
Huzo , you really need a geography lesson , South Korea isn't China .

Dusty
Now THAT is certainly something I can't argue with...(but I'm willing to try.)

oldbike54

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2019, 01:39:28 PM »
 Dunno about mileage , I tend to install new tires as needed , probably about 8K miles on a rear 712 , most of that loaded fairly heavy and running at 80 MPH plus .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »
Dunno about mileage , I tend to install new tires as needed , probably about 8K miles on a rear 712 , most of that loaded fairly heavy and running at 80 MPH plus .

Dusty
The logic always seems to stand up, I just seem to have a barrier that I choose not to try to cross.
There are some wise old heads that say I should discard my prejudice but I just haven't found a reason to. I suppose my image of a well set up bike always includes Michelin or Pirelli tyres and there just hasn't been any preponderance of evidence to begin to turn that tide, which does not mean that my views are necessarily well founded, just well rooted..(I use the term in the same context as you guys..)
I do recall my student days on a T 500 with second hand Bridgestones and Metzelers that were shocking (at the time), so that's probably why I decry "cheap" tyres...
I'm just a prejudiced old bastard..
But now I can afford to be closed minded.

Y'all have gotta' admit though, this does look good doesn't it..?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:14:07 PM by Huzo »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2019, 04:29:21 PM »
Absolutely Officer, I never thought otherwise.
I did respond to your post asking if I had RAN a Shinko @ reply #21.
I did suggest that I had not, and there'd be more chance of a Bull going into orbit, than using one.
Chinese tyres on an Italian bike... all seems a bit cheap and nasty to me. It'd be like going on a date with a (young) Angelina Jolie and asking her to wear a dress from the Salvation Army...!
(Although she probably could...)
I love my Ropered/Beetled/Wired Norge and it loves me, I won't demean it by asking it to come with me on life affirming intercontinental journeys on "cheap" tyres.
Now you're kicking the Salvation Army, where I shop and where most of my wardrobe came from😂😂😂
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:33:52 PM by Ncdan »

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »

Y'all have gotta' admit though, this does look good doesn't it..?

Yes it does

Offline Jukebox

• Hatchling
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2019, 01:58:14 AM »
Shinko's
Rode my Strom 650 from Wollongong to Darwin (Australia) with Shinko tyres.
We had cold, wet and hot, tyre preformed great, two up with luggage.
Will be putting another on the back soon.
Not sure why the name would be an issue, performance to cost is a good thing.
Good as my Michelin on my Griso.
Give them ago.
If your number is 46 and ride a Yamaha maybe there maybe a problem :grin:

Harry

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2019, 03:24:49 AM »
Bugger me.
I just fitted my two new Pilot 5's and noticed that they are made in....THAILAND..!!! :sad:
Might be time for a family dose of humble pie.. :embarrassed:

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2019, 08:03:43 AM »
Shinko's are very good tires. I currently have 4 bikes with Shinko mounted on them, all give very good performance/dollar value and will continue to use them. That being said I have Pilot 5 on my Stelvio and their performance is the equal to the Shinko's, just appear to last awhile longer. Ya pays yer money and takes yer choice. Ride safely please.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2019, 08:04:57 AM »
Bugger me.
I just fitted my two new Pilot 5's and noticed that they are made in....THAILAND..!!! :sad:
Lol my friend, you may be in danger of being a gentleman and a scholar but I won't let it out:)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:45:44 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2019, 08:22:26 AM »
Bugger me.

And many Continentals are made in Korea, Pirellis in Brazil...
Charlie

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
I've used lots of Shinko's and have never been disappointed. In fact I was using them in a time when the mere suggestion of Shinko would have mobs gather outside with pitchforks and torches chanting about how they value their live too much to save money by using Shinko's. FF a few years and now its not uncommon to see $30,000 BMW's with Shinko 705's on them.

I've ridden on lots of TOTD type roads with a buddy of mine who is on a worn GS that is overloaded and usually shod with well worn Shinkos. On more than occasion I watched him walk away from riders on Sport Bikes that were pushing it pretty hard.

With modern tires it not so much the tire ability it's the riders ability. 

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2019, 10:40:18 AM »
Between my son, and I we have 10 motorcycles in the family. I own 5, 4 Guzzis, and a Gold wing. All of my Guzzis have Shinkos on them, and I have been using them for years ,with great results. I am a big fan of Shinko tires, and use them on every thing I can.
 I recently mounted a set of the " Pep Boys Kendas" that Charlie turned me on to, on my 73 Eldorado, and am happy with those so far. Those are the most inexpensive tires I have ever bought, at $43.00 for both shipped to my door!
 I have done all my own tire mounting and balancing since the 70's and I have been impressed with the quality of the Shinkos. They dont require much weight to balance, and that is one  sign of a decent tire. They have never required more than an ounce and a half of weight to balance.
  FWIW, I am running the Shinko 712's  in 150 -70 -17  size on the rear of my 03 Cali Aluminum, and its the best tire I have tried on that bike, which being a sidecar tug, is tough on rear tires. I already have 5K miles on it, and it still looks like it has a couple of thousand to go. It has worn flat as a pancake, but thats expected, in this application.
   Back in the late 70s, early 80s, I used some tires of the IRC brand, and man, you could tell right away they were "cheapies". They required alot of weight to balance out, and would be worn out in 3-4 thousand miles.
  Shinkos are nothing like those!  :grin:
Rick.

"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here