Author Topic: Noise diagnosis  (Read 2572 times)

czakky82

Noise diagnosis
« on: May 18, 2023, 04:33:21 PM »
I’ve got my fairly fresh V7 Sport back up and running. It’s been fighting me pretty hard. You can say we’ve bonded. Crank is freshly re-ground, both mains and rod journals. Top end is also fresh, valves, guides, rod bushings, pistons, re-plated cylinders, etc.

I’ve got an annoying (don’t call it a knock yet) sound between 3500-4500 and it tapers off. Only on lazy acceleration, not when I’m holding steady or when I’m accelerating hard. I can’t re-create the sound when revving in neutral. Adjusting timing and valve lash has no effects.
I just had the top end off and could feel no permissible big end play.

It sounds pretty similar to spark knock without any performance loss (like a spray can rattle) although more rhythmic and not as fast as what I’d imagine a crank knock to be. It seems in rhythm to cam more than crank… if that makes sense. Loud enough to hear it with a full face helmet over valve clatter. It’s a slightly heartbreaking sound with no helmet…

Oil is clean (outsider filter) sump is spotless when dropped (old habits dies hard).

Any ideas? I’ll gladly wear earplugs.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Noise diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 04:40:30 PM »
I’ve got my fairly fresh V7 Sport back up and running. It’s been fighting me pretty hard. You can say we’ve bonded. Crank is freshly re-ground, both mains and rod journals. Top end is also fresh, valves, guides, rod bushings, pistons, re-plated cylinders, etc.

I’ve got an annoying (don’t call it a knock yet) sound between 3500-4500 and it tapers off. Only on lazy acceleration, not when I’m holding steady or when I’m accelerating hard. I can’t re-create the sound when revving in neutral. Adjusting timing and valve lash has no effects.
I just had the top end off and could feel no permissible big end play.

It sounds pretty similar to spark knock without any performance loss (like a spray can rattle) although more rhythmic and not as fast as what I’d imagine a crank knock to be. It seems in rhythm to cam more than crank… if that makes sense. Loud enough to hear it with a full face helmet over valve clatter. It’s a slightly heartbreaking sound with no helmet…

Oil is clean (outsider filter) sump is spotless when dropped (old habits dies hard).

Any ideas? I’ll gladly wear earplugs.
Ok.
I had the same thing on my Norge at one point, only on certain throttle settings.
Clattered like hell.
Turns out it was the left side header tapping against a bolt head. I loosened the header studs and rotated the pipe outwards a couple of mm…Silence.

czakky82

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 07:01:29 PM »
@Huzo, I’ll add that I did isolate the side and center stands. I found one spot that the right side exhaust may be making contact though I’m not very hopeful…. I’ll have that squared away tomorrow (bike’s hot right now).

czakky82

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 12:16:26 PM »
Anybody have experience with bad rocker arm bushings? That’s the only part I haven’t replaced…

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 12:16:26 PM »

guido guzzi

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 03:27:20 PM »
How about rocker arm end-float? Are you using the OEM springs or thrust bearings?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 03:44:01 PM »
You seem to have good diagnostic instincts. When it’s rattling, does the noise alter with a gear change ?
It’s significant that you say that it doesn’t seem to be at the same frequency (not pitch), as the spinning flywheel, yet linked to rpm and load.
Why it dissipates with increased load is a vexing one.

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 06:32:52 PM »
I had a weird noise on a cali, turned out to be the oil pump coming loose. I could hear it, took it to a few experienced guzzi mechanics who couldn't hear it. A few months later, full lock up when the pump came loose.

Obviously impossible to diagnose noises without hearing them, so just throwing it out there as an idea!!!

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 06:38:35 PM »
What you describe with the engine in”float mode”,sounds like small end rod bushings. I replaced those on my eldo, and noise went away.
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

czakky82

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 08:03:34 PM »
@Guido, stock springs. Not familiar with any type of Guzzi thrust bearing… :popcorn: I’m very interested though…

@Huzo, gear change doesn’t have an effect. Low RPM high load: less noise, low RPM low load: more noise, high RPM high/low load: much less noise. The frequency isn’t consistent with lower end stuff but I’m not confident in that either.
I don’t think I’m a paranoid shade tree mechanic, but this is not a regular Guzzi sound either.

@lazlo, is that like oil pump drive/gear, or full on oil pump chewed itself apart? FWIW, oil pressure light goes off immediately on start up, stays off for a good bit even after running hot. So it feels like I have good pressure from pump to front of cam (oil pressure sending unit). Not that these are very accurate ways of measuring oil pressure.
Good insight for sure, I hadn’t considered oil pump issues….
How was your oil pressure when this happened?

@bigbike, that was my first thought too. Bushings are fresh, wrist pins (fresh) look pretty good. I can’t feel any play in them, the wrist pins will turn with some resistance in the bushings. The right does have a minuscule amount of less drag it seems. I don’t have means of accurately measuring the bushings, but I could still see cross hatching from machining.

This old bike hasn’t been babied FWIW.

I appreciate the responses. So thankful! I understand that it’s pretty hard to diagnose a sound over a forum so I appreciate any insight.

Cheers!

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 08:57:42 PM »
What kind of clutch does it have?
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 10:32:43 PM »
Engine mount and frame bolts all tight?  I had an annoying rattle on my SR500 that turned out to me a loose engine mount bolt.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 10:35:34 PM »
My 1973 Laverda SF1 made some pretty distressing noise on throttle, I thought the bottom end was coming apart, as I stripped everything down to pull the motor the last thing I did was pull the exhaust off, the mufflers are held by two silent blocks which fell apart on one muffler as it was removed.
So my failing bottom end was a harsh vibration travelling through the muffler to the header joint.

I would take a serious look at all the engine / transmission mounting points, the foot rest / muffler hangers, the center stand mount bolts etc…..
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 10:42:00 PM »
Have you tried listening ith a stethoscope? Or even a screw driver on an engine part and the handle end to your ear? You probably know all this I bet.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2023, 06:25:23 AM »
So my failing bottom end was a harsh vibration travelling through the muffler to the header joint.

I would take a serious look at all the engine / transmission mounting points, the foot rest / muffler hangers, the center stand mount bolts etc…..

The top would be my number 1 place to look. I, too, had this on a long trip that worried me constantly.. :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

guido guzzi

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2023, 09:37:52 AM »
How about rocker arm end-float? Are you using the OEM springs or thrust bearings?

EDIT: No one has suggested cam end float yet...

Gotta say that rocker arm end float is the least likely explanation offered so far.
But, since you asked

These thrust bearings take the place of the springs on the rocker arm spindle. Not sure on clearance between outer race and support bracket but .005" sounds right? Ace Mallott explained that the rocker arm won't lift the valve until the OEM springs fully compress. Timing is slightly retarded and full lift is never accomplished. Been running them in the ex convert for almost twenty years and have not seen any wear.  YMMV

Nominal measurements:
OD: 28mm (27.80)
ID:  15mm (15.06)
Outer race width: 1 mm (1.03)
Bearing width: 2 mm (1.99)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 09:43:37 AM by guido guzzi »

czakky82

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2023, 09:50:41 AM »
@Guido, FWIW I did pull the top end and while the pushrods were out I tried to feel for play in the cam and couldn’t. Not scientific or anything. Also my timing is as steady as any Guzzi I’ve ever seen. If cam float would show up at the dizzy…?

@John A, SD TEC.

Those bearings are sweet, I suppose I might need them…

Thanks again guys for bearing with me. :bow:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 01:50:52 PM by czakky82 »

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2023, 05:20:14 PM »
What you describe with the engine in”float mode”,sounds like small end rod bushings. I replaced those on my eldo, and noise went away.
Rick

I had a knock on one of my Guzzi's that I assumed was a rocker valve clearance issue.  Could not adjust it out.  Said to my self, ride it.  At a gas stop, a guy walked up and said, "you have a worn small end bushing worn out". He was exactly right.  New bushings and the noise was gone.

The noise was at mid range rpms.

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2023, 03:57:59 AM »
Rick

That was my first thought also. That that pin is a little sloppy in the rod or the piston. They seem to act up in that "float" range as you say.
Paul B

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2023, 09:47:25 AM »
the securing nut on the oil pump gear came off. My buddy was riding the bike at the time, he ignored the oil warning light that was starting to flash on and seized the crank in the rear bearing.

I only mention this episode as it was a case of a strange sound/vibration that told me not everything was right but I didn't find it in time

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2023, 09:20:49 PM »
I was worried about the timing chain and found the front tire would grow at speed and rub the inside of the fender. I was looking and had the wheel off and was able to see the rub marks . It had me flummoxed till I found it alright and wasn’t what I expected.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

czakky82

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2023, 06:17:47 AM »
I’ve been riding this bike a bit and the noise hasn’t got any worse.

It is definitely coming from the left side. I can’t get the sound from neutral on a stand only under load.

I’m going to re-Torque heads for the second time. I’ll also switch rocker arms and pushrods from left to right and see if the noise follows.

czakky82

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2023, 04:43:33 PM »
Yeah, switching the upper valve train made no change… Guido was right.

It’s running so dang good and smooth. Especially considering the carbs are only “bench synced”. I can’t justify tearing into it.
I’m mildly frustrated…

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2023, 09:17:53 PM »
Sometimes they just make noise without anything wrong. It’s one of the benefits of liquid cooling, it masks engine noise. My first Ambassador sounded like it was disassembling itself for a hundred thousand miles before and after I fixed the chrome bores and put everything right. Disappointing alright so I figured I would let it develop but it never changed over the years.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

czakky82

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2023, 09:08:32 AM »
That’s kinda where I’m at John. It runs fantastic, is smooth and it doesn’t appear to be any worse. I just kinda wish it wasn’t there…

Knowing myself I’ll probably go looking for it this winter.

Online pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2023, 10:07:38 AM »
That’s kinda where I’m at John. It runs fantastic, is smooth and it doesn’t appear to be any worse. I just kinda wish it wasn’t there…

Knowing myself I’ll probably go looking for it this winter.

I have the same noise in the RH side of my '89 Mille. Barely noticeable when cold, annoying while hot. Took the top ends off, no detectable play anywhere. Next is to shim rockers and if that doesn't work, replace both ends of rods.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

czakky82

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2023, 10:18:01 AM »
Temp has no noticeable effect on this one. It’s just combustion chamber pressure apparently, or vibration.

It’s light throttle at 3500rpm and more throttle makes noise at higher RPMs until it tapers off around 5500rpm.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2023, 11:12:43 AM »
I did find the source of a noise on my 99 Bassa. On the right cylinder where the cylinder protrudes into the case , the bottom of the cylinder just barely touches the back of the timing chest. I had the engine out and upside down and noticed a slight amount of aluminum paste where it rubbed. I ground some clearance and that irritating noise was gone. I wouldn’t expect to see that on the smaller bore engines and it’s only on the farthest forward cylinder, closest to the timing chest. I’ve looked on another 1100 engine and it was close but not touching but it’s something to look for when modifying for I think it came about when I deleted the base gaskets and used flange sealant as an easy way to set the squish which came out to .040” without the base gasket. Without the base gasket cushion it may make the fins ring a bit more but I couldn’t detect any . They have hard rubber bits about an inch long that stabilize the fins that Guzzi uses on some engines and I use those if I have them but I can’t hear any difference .
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2023, 11:46:41 AM »
 Has nothing to do with the noise , but why not install an actual oil pressure gauge and put yourself at ease . There's worse things you could spend money and time on ! Peter

czakky82

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2023, 08:11:24 PM »
Agreed Peter.

I had changed the oil and oil filter (aftermarket sump w/ filter) recently and kept the filter for an autopsy.

First time ever taking apart an oil filter. Not a spec in it hardly. A few specs of aluminum. So that’s encouraging.

I might just leave this one alone.

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2023, 09:00:02 PM »
Just curious- no idea what you wear for a helmet, but do you wear earplugs?  It may help you better identify the sound.  It’s not very scientific or expensive (Guzzi content) but if a noise changes significantly or goes away when I wear earplugs it makes me think differently about both the noise and the source.

And the more paranoid about hearing noises you are, the more you’ll hear noises whether there are noises to hear or not…. 
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here