Author Topic: Cleaning the garage.....  (Read 2467 times)

britman

Cleaning the garage.....
« on: November 02, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »
 I was working on a small project in the garage this morning around 5am.  It is my favorite time of the day when you have the early morning all to yourself, hot mug of coffee and a Rolling Stones greatest hits cd playing semi quietly in the background.  My dilemma came when I went to the toolbox to get another 12mm wrench, my second of the morning because the first one had apparently walked off the job.  It was at that point that I wasn't going a step further until I cleaned the garage.  There have been a string of projects lately, some "Honey Do's" for the Wife, the rest me spinning wrenches on multiple oil changes, bike projects, and everything else that get relegated to the inner sanctum of the garage. To further add to the situation there was the "mythical yard sale".  Nope we were not going to be selling unicorns, but there was supposed to be a yard sale this fall, it never materialized.  That did not stop every piece of non used furniture, boxes of old Christmas decorations, various antiques from different collection phases, and everything else with a value of at least 25 cents being stored "TEMPORARILY" in my garage.  I was fairly certain the clutter was the reason for the missing 12mm, not my senility. (Although I think by next spring, there is a good chance I may be able to hide my own Easter eggs.) It was off to "Wally World" for some new plastic bins, a stop at IHOP for a refuel with giant breakfast, and when the sun came up I started.  Motorcycle parts were reorganized, yard sale items were placed back in the storage shed, I even straightened out the tool box making sure all five 12mm wrenches were accessible.  I finished up this afternoon and as I was getting ready to put the "Girls" back into their home, with much more room to stretch out, it struck me it was good time to take a picture. Then since it was 70 degrees today all three got a short run on the back roads prior to a cold front arriving shortly with heavy rain.  The garage is clean and I got a chance to ride, so overall a great day.......

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Re: Cleaning the garage.....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »
Sounds like a good day!  We just ignored the garage and rode. :thumb: 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 06:35:48 PM »
Well, it did feel good afterwards, didn't it?
Playing the Stones quietly in the background, now THAT'S a sacrifice....  :grin:
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »
What Kind of Thunderbird is that? A Sport?
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »

britman

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:11:53 AM »
What Kind of Thunderbird is that? A Sport?

2004 TBS, last year of production.....

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
     Omg,,, good on you,,, I wish you were doing my garage next,lol.

What a fine looking, diverse group of bikes,,, they'll be much happier,,, and you'll being able to appreciate them more.

I'm getting ready to set up my garage for winter bike projects,,,regret disassembling my G5 before I built shelves and a work bench.

Tks for the post, inspiring.

Kelly   
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »
Aha - its not just me that gets the"can I temporarily store stuff in the garage" dear

My wife has a craft room, a shed, a conservatory  and a  sun room. (another shed) but it still has to go in the Garage

Unite brothers and defend the sanctity of the garage  :grin:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 03:49:43 PM »
That's a good story.
Sometimes I hose the floor after cleaning and the water runs out between the concrete and steel sheet walls.
It looks great after it dries and the Norge looks sweeter and "happier"!

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »
Aha - its not just me that gets the"can I temporarily store stuff in the garage" dear

My wife has a craft room, a shed, a conservatory and a  sun room. (another shed) but it still has to go in the Garage

She sounds like my husband.  I made room for our 6 bikes and he knows leaving a mess is verboten. :thewife: Now that he is taking time off work, I hope we can do a deep dejunking and make both garages more useful.
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 04:20:11 AM »
Sorry GG I shouldn't have assumed that only chaps find the need to defend the sanctity of the garage

Everyone unite  :grin: :grin:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 08:15:42 AM »
Sorry GG I shouldn't have assumed that only chaps find the need to defend the sanctity of the garage

Everyone unite  :grin: :grin:

The wife KNOWS anything “temporarily “ stored in the garage will soon be permanently stored in the garbage shortly thereafter.  My space.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 09:16:57 AM »

I thought it was just my wife....gardening tools and leaking bags of peat moss and potting soil, empty, broken clay and plastic pots that will never be used again, PILES of mis-matched and solitary gardening gloves. Although there is a good alternate enclosed outdoor storage area, she prefers the garage......

I might only win if I build her a she-shed, but then I'd want to park my tractor in it....
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 11:46:37 AM »
Good story! Why is it that after i clean up the shop, nobody stops by. Then when Ive got crap everywhere, knee deep into a project with little trails to get through it, everybody stops in to see what youve been up to.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 12:08:17 PM »
Best thing I ever did was paint my garage floor with two pot paint before we moved in to our relatively new house. It’s a pleasure to walk on , doesn’t dust up like bare concrete .

My tools still hide in there though and yes it’s full of years of accumulated junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »
I am in the process of cleaning my neighbor's garage. Well, actually, paying my neighbor to clean her garage. Well, ok, by cleaning, I mean buying her dear departed husband's extensive, well-curated collection of tools and fasteners. The catch is that I have to get my garage organized enough to receive these new cabinets full of useful things.

Beyond that, the biggest balancing act I face in my garage has little to do with my wife. Sure, there is a quadrant full of her stuff, but whatever. We share space better than most, and my work-from-home office is carved out of her craft room. No, it's the delicate balancing act that half the things in the garage do not cope well with sawdust, and the other half of the things produce acres of the stuff. 

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
Nice TBS!
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here