Author Topic: NGC Darned newfangled bikes!  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
NGC Darned newfangled bikes!
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
On Sunday my wife and I took a ride on our Scouts (shakedown for a coming trip) and about 50 miles in, she began complaining of surging-then occasional engine cutting out- 100 miles in and it was embarrassing.  Revving up and down, cutting out-so I took over for the limp ride home.

It was a nightmare, bucking and cutting out, and when I tried to rev it a it higher it was truly nasty.

I had a lot of theories, pulled a code when the check engine light came on-"throttle position deviation". Hm.

Well, being under warranty I called the dealer who came out right quickly to pick it up. Today they called-all better.

The mysterious EFI error? A rodent had eaten a hole in the air filter and a small piece of string/whatever was snagged in the throttle body.  Hell if the bike was out of warranty I'd have found it and fixed it that night!

Darned newfangled bikes.

pete roper

Re: NGC Darned newfangled bikes!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 10:52:03 PM »
Just been playin' around finding a way to post up bbcodes from Flickr which has always been labourious but was impossible from my iPad. Found I can do it with the flickrstacker app, it's a bit convoluted but it's possible.

Here's something relevant to Aaron's post. The 'Rat Damage' on a Cali Custom we had in recently.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:48:09 PM »
Darn fuel injection!

Penderic

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:27:36 AM »
Isn't there a display code for that?

:huh:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:27:36 AM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:55:32 AM »
All farts are harsh, are they not?

I set some rat traps (out of the mousey variety) so maybe we'll have a chipmunk corpse-plus she ordered some barn trap thingies. War declared!

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 06:45:28 AM »
I usually drive my PU at least once a week. Recently we went to our mechanic to pick up a car that we had serviced. When we arrived we could smell something burning. Opened up the hood and all you could see was a pack rat nest and smoke coming form the exhaust manifold area. Not one bit of the engine was visible. They chewed through two wires. Don't know what they were for but everything seems to work. They also chewed a hole in the air cleaner. They are a pain.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 06:58:22 AM »
It was good of Indian to cover that under warranty as it really isn't a bike issue.
 I had mice chew through the main harness to the fuse box on a two week old Chevy one ton truck and kill it dead, warranty did not cover it. $750.00 later it's back on the road and when I got it home I noticed a small hole in the insulation sheet attached to the underside of the hood. While I'm checking it out a mouse pokes his head out! This is after being towed and driven home. I ripped the f'n thing down and at least six mice scattered every where . The dealer told me they are seeing this pretty often ,there is something they like in the new wire coatings. They seem to ingest it as there is no signs of the chewing s anywhere. I since have put mothballs in the bottom of the fuse box and have not had a problem since. I can't really blame GM for not covering such a thing but hopefully they will improve the wire coatings to something less palatable.
 I'm glad you got sorted out for your trip :thumb:

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 07:45:32 AM »
Oh, just to be clear, they fixed it and put us ahead of the line, but it wasn't under warranty.  I would not have expected that. No charge for pickup though.

They service manager told us the wiring in new vehicles has insulation that used peanut and soy oils as mold release which would account for the appetite for wiring. No such issue with the bike though, just the air filter. Enough to make me consider K&N replacements, as they have wire mesh over the filter medium.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »
I usually drive my PU at least once a week. Recently we went to our mechanic to pick up a car that we had serviced. When we arrived we could smell something burning. Opened up the hood and all you could see was a pack rat nest and smoke coming form the exhaust manifold area. Not one bit of the engine was visible. They chewed through two wires. Don't know what they were for but everything seems to work. They also chewed a hole in the air cleaner. They are a pain.
GliderJohn

So, I had the same thing on my diesel truck.  Packrats filled up under the hood.

I was glad to find it when I did cause there were bright red embers above the turbocharger!

One thing I have found in my ongoing war with pack rats.  The do not like to move more than about 10ft without some sort of 'cover'.  My car and truck were parked within 5 ft of some brush and a wood pile.  I moved them toward the center of our driveway and have had no problems since.  Also, they do not like lights.  A local here has a AAA battery powered LED flasher that keeps them out of engine compartments.  Have not bought one since my problem went away but others we know swear by them.

Note:  this is for pack rats, not squirrels, chipmunks, mice, or the big norwegian rats.  Have no idea how to keep them away except by regular pest control methods (trap, poison or shoot).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:06:04 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 03:10:24 PM »
We had a rat come into our apartment by the open patio door, seeking water. Heard him, eventually saw him, but he would not fall for traps with food bait.

Bought a live trap and put a bowl of water in it and bingo. Put the trap in a ten gallon water bucket, he'll never be thirsty again.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 05:51:34 PM »
 When you do that, the rat will hold his breath for the rest of his life.  They are capable of this.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:52:12 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 09:12:41 PM »
We had starlings that insisted on nesting in the chimney one summer when we weren't using the fireplace.  Many.  They'd work their way down the pipe and into the house, where three birdy bird dogs chased them all over the furniture and drapes. We put a grille over the top of it and they got through that.  So for a few mornings we burned paper in it and it rained starlings into the firebox. Many.  We had to genetically eradicate all starlings that were inclined to nest in chimneys.  We were at it all season.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 07:04:29 AM »
Hmmm
Sorry to say, I think the motor industry has found a business idea
Some might call it a conspiracy theory
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here