Author Topic: Dogs and hearing protection? NGC  (Read 683 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Dogs and hearing protection? NGC
« on: June 25, 2019, 10:14:01 PM »
     I had to put my 12 yr old male German Shepherd down earlier this spring. I didn't go looking for a dog, I was confident the universe would bring one to me.

A month ago I adopted a 4 yr old female rescue Shepherd,,, I know, pics or didn't happen  :gotpics:

She's an amazing dog, I've learned more about Shepherds in the last month, than the 11+ yrs I had my male.

As you can tell by the missing part of her ear and the little scars on her face, she's had a rough go of it at some point, but what they say about rescue dogs being so appreciative and loving is right on the money, she's a great animal.

Shepherds tend to suffer separation anxiety, and rescue dogs especially so,,, I'm working on it with her and she's responding and improving really well the longer she is with me, to the point I'm getting out for rides again.

I'm volunteering this weekend for 3 days with the Vintage Road Racing Association at Calabogie, doing bike pick up on the race track. I don't want to leave the new dog at home alone for 3 long straight days at this point,,, I don't think it would be good for her in the long run at this point.

I discussed my reluctance about leaving the dog at home with the VRRA rep I deal with, and they suggested I bring her with me, so that's what I'm doing, I'll be bringing her with me for the 3 days. I'll try to keep her out of the main hustle and bustle/engine noise in the paddock/pit/tech area as much as I can. When I go out on the track, it will be when the track is shut down and she'll be secured in the cab of my pick up as safely/best I can set up.

Most of the time we'll be hanging out in the shade waiting for a call out onto the track; anyone that's been around a race track knows how loud it can get at times. Shepherds won't complain when they are in discomfort, it's in their nature.

With dog's more sensitive hearing, I'm almost thinking of using something to block the sound a bit for her. I think the only thing she'd be happy with is if I remember to cover her ears as much as possible with my hands; I don't see ear plugs or stuffing something into her ears going over well with her.

I'm curious if any dog owners on here, ie sidecar riders or racers etc have ever dealt with this,,, what if anything worked or didn't work?

tia

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

oldbike54

Re: Dogs and hearing protection? NGC
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:22:32 PM »
 No idea , but 'onya for rescuing a dog  :bow: She looks happy .

Dusty

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 10:29:28 PM »
First of all, thank you for adopting a rescue!
GSD, in my opinion are one of the most intelligent breeds there are.
They are a working type and love to be doing something.
Mine has found a lost senior gentleman, a child and many dogs and a cat.
As far as the seperation issue, try leaving a radio on when your out.
A walk/playtime before leaving when you can.
If possable, make seperation times short at first, gradually longer.
A chew toy/bone could help as well.
I suggest getting her on Glucosimine, 2000mg per day. It's never too early to start that.
I have no advise for noise at the track, I'm more of a hiker.
They love to sniff and explore. Talk as much as you can to her. Your voice is a comfort to them.
Good Luck with your new best friend!

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 10:43:12 PM »
No idea , but 'onya for rescuing a dog  :bow: She looks happy .

Dusty

Tbh, she rescued me almost as much, as I did her; she's very happy, loving it here. Her playful nature puts a different shine on the day.
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 10:43:12 PM »

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 10:54:45 PM »

Get her a Kennel. As large as they make, put her pad or blanket in there and leave the door open until she gets used to it. Yes leave the music on.
 When she's comfortable with the kennel you can take her anywhere comfortably and safely. It's her domain and they appreciate that.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 11:14:19 PM »
First of all, thank you for adopting a rescue!
GSD, in my opinion are one of the most intelligent breeds there are.
They are a working type and love to be doing something.
Mine has found a lost senior gentleman, a child and many dogs and a cat.
As far as the seperation issue, try leaving a radio on when your out.
A walk/playtime before leaving when you can.
If possable, make seperation times short at first, gradually longer.
A chew toy/bone could help as well.
I suggest getting her on Glucosimine, 2000mg per day. It's never too early to start that.
I have no advise for noise at the track, I'm more of a hiker.
They love to sniff and explore. Talk as much as you can to her. Your voice is a comfort to them.
Good Luck with your new best friend!

She epitomizes the Shepherd characteristics, so intelligent and you're right , needs to be challenged all the time.

She was bored after 3-4 walks on the road, but is responding really well to retrieval play and training. I've got a couple of the black extreme kongs for her, she's thriving managing those and I always pack one with food/treats when I leave her, radio on; I tried a calming thunder shirt and a smaller confined space for her security; but she was so strong willed, she would forcefully try to remove the shirt and get access so she could take care of the whole house.

The separation anxiety initially was severe to the point of stress colitis with bloody stools, but she's settling in quite nicely. At first I  tried all sorts of fancy probiotic food supplements, but time, attention, training and play seems to be the cure that she's responding to well.

I was worried about her being around the neighbors cows at our fence, but one good bark to let them know she's watching them, and she comes right back to me,,, I'm sure the neighbor's as glad as I am,lol.

Thanks for the Glucosimine tip, I'll definitely take a look at that. It was arthritis,hips and spinal issues that even with a hardcore trifecta of meds fighting his pain, finally brought an end to my previous Shepherd's life.

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 11:44:57 PM »
      Get her a Kennel. As large as they make, put her pad or blanket in there and leave the door open until she gets used to it. Yes leave the music on.
 When she's comfortable with the kennel you can take her anywhere comfortably and safely. It's her domain and they appreciate that.

Paul B :boozing:

I read that about confining their space to make them more comfortable, so initially I had her in the kitchen, with the doors closed. One of the doors is a sliding pocket door, she forcefully slid it open with her nose, to the point it's partly off track now, lol. She seems totally content to be taking care of the whole house when I'm gone.

I'm training myself now to spend longer and longer times away from her, I can see her trust developing with me coming home after I've left, I think it's just going to be a matter of time,  I do have a crate, that I might use if she starts to regress. She's got a favorite spot on a couch, where she can watch the whole house, that's her favorite domain so far,lol.

tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here