Author Topic: Throttle body butterflies open only 1/2 way due to linkage obstruction 07 CalVin  (Read 1933 times)

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
I just got this fuel injected bike (2007 California Vintage) and previously only have experience with carburetor T3s, G5s, and Converts. The linkage to open the throttle body butterflies hits other parts of the linkage and the butterfly valves only open about half way. The linkage appears to be this way from the factory. Is this normal? I have enclosed some pictures of the linkage in the closed position and the open position as well as a picture of the butterfly valve open as far as it will go with the linkage obstructed.

I would appreciate help from someone knowledgeable with the Guzzi FI and throttle body or if someone can check theirs for the same condition. I am unsure which years and models are the same.

I am in the process of doing multiple modifications on this bike and will post pictures when finished.

I'm relocating the fuel filter outside the tank and replacing the hose in the tank from the pump to the outlet with fully submersible spec SAE 30R10 fuel line.

I'm removing the airbox and going to use a Uni Filter U-802 which is an 8" foam sock which comes with a spring inside to keep its shape. I will cut open the closed end of the sock so now both ends are open and I'll slide the ends of the spring over the plastic velocity stacks that attach to the throttle bodies and clamp the foam. The filter will now be in a U shape with both ends clamped to the velocity stacks.

Still working on ideas for the crankcase vent line that comes from the top frame tube and used to connect to the airbox.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
I'll leave it to the guys who own a Cali of that era, but just looking, it seems like the rod is on the wrong side of the throttle bodies! On the Norge, Breva and Stelvio, the linkage is on the side away from the cylinders, and is at a level below the swingarm. Have you checked the parts catalog diagram and compared it?
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
I've scoured the internet looking for pictures or diagrams that might give me a clue what is wrong or for proper positioning of the linkage, to no avail.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
That's the fast idle control you're hanging up on.  It appears to be out of phase to its cable control part.  Throw it away and you'll be good.  I know I've felt better ever since.

Wildguzzi.com

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
The top piece that hits both rods is what rotates a little bit when the choke lever on the left handlebar is pulled. Is all that the choke mechanism does is increase the idle a little? It does not make the mixture a bit richer too? If so removing it would probably not be a problem. I live in FL.
There is the yellow paint on the screw on that linkage cam. That is not needed for the idle speed setting?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Back out that screw, see what happens. Temp sensors control mixture. good luck
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Easy.

The fast idle arm, which I have circled in yellow, is NOT supposed to move with the throttle. The poor thing is rusted together. It needs some TLC.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:06:08 PM by OMG »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

oldbike54

The top piece that hits both rods is what rotates a little bit when the choke lever on the left handlebar is pulled. Is all that the choke mechanism does is increase the idle a little? It does not make the mixture a bit richer too? If so removing it would probably not be a problem. I live in FL.
There is the yellow paint on the screw on that linkage cam. That is not needed for the idle speed setting?

Yep , just a fast idle lever , broke and removed mine , not a problem . In cool weather just open the throttle a bit .

Dusty

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
Easy.

The fast idle arm, which I have circled in yellow, is NOT supposed to move with the throttle. The poor thing is rusted together. I needs some TLC.

Yep,that's the problem. Looks like it has spent some time sitting in the weather? I relocated my CalVin fuel filter outside the tank as well. Works fine and a lot easier to deal with.

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Easy.

The fast idle arm, which I have circled in yellow, is NOT supposed to move with the throttle. The poor thing is rusted together. I needs some TLC.
Wat Wayne sez. I'm sure tired of hunting and pecking on this tablet.  Maybe I'll get the computer working tomorrow. .
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
Thanks All,

It was just stuck. I feel stupid with all the time I spent trying to figure it out for it to be just be rusted together.
Another good reason to never put the air box back in. Easy to drop a bit of oil on it now, although I think I may leave the choke part off and remove the whole cable assembly too.

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
Terry,

Did you do away with the air box also or just relocate the filter?  Lots of room without the air box to mount it. How did you attach the filter? I'm still figuring out where and how Ill do it.

Alan

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
The airbox, as large as it is, is pretty affective.

Moving the fuel filter outside the tank means passing unfiltered goo through the pressure regulator constantly.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:03:13 PM by OMG »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here