Author Topic: odometer  (Read 1639 times)

wallooner

odometer
« on: June 14, 2015, 04:35:59 PM »
I replaced the inner cable (broken) on my 2004 EV and the speedo works but the odometer does not.  Anybody had a similar problem?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: odometer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »
Common thing with the 2004 ITI speedometer. There is a metal gear in there that wears out.

I can tell you how to repair it if you are able to do such detailed work.

Not sure you can buy replacements any longer.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

wallooner

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:31:23 PM »
Thanks Wayne,  I can do detailed work (maybe) at least I can try.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:11:59 PM »
OK.

You need to get the from screen off. I usually carefully pry off the chrome plastic ring, and I then pry off the clear window. I've never broken one, but I suspect they would break easily. Some people take a dremel with a small cutting wheel and cut off the entire front about where the rubber ring is that holds it on the dashboard.
Take the two philips screws screw out of the back and pull out the assembly.

Notice that the gear has the tips of the teeth worn off, and there are metal bits everywhere.

Bend the metal frame at the lower left down. You should be able to pull that vertical shaft out. that will let you pull out the worn horizontal shaft.

Clean everything up. On the right side of the worn horizontal shaft, there is a hole in the frame that it spins in. Enlarge that hole toward the front. Basically, you want to tighten the gear engagement. From the factory, they have the gear just running on the tips of the teeth and it wears the teeth out. Once I elgarge the hole, I then fill it with JB Weld and redrill it at the new location that I want the gear to be in.
Hope that makes sense as I have no more photos.
Reassemble and lube the gears well.

When mine first failed, I actually made new gear teeth out of JB Weld. That lasted about 80,000 miles. I tried to do the same on a couple of others and they didn't last very long. And that job is tedious. Moving the gear is much easier, and I have had that last about 20,000 miles now.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:11:59 PM »

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 09:38:43 PM »
Another option is to replace the instruments with Speedhut gauges.  A number of people have done this on V11 Sports/Le Mans, and they have come out very well.  The gauges are really nice, and you can design them with custom graphics to look as good, or better, than new.  You do need to work out a way to mount them, but a few different methods have been devised.  You can even get a GPS speedo that requires no input, and provides compass, elevation and other settings!

I have replaced my ITI speedo with an original factory unit, but will be moving to Speedhut when (not if) this one fails.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here