Author Topic: Stupid evap canister question  (Read 510 times)

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
Stupid evap canister question
« on: October 03, 2022, 07:15:11 PM »
'02 California Stone. I'm replacing the battery, which the previous owner installed. It is an itty bitty tiny thing, because the evap canister is mounted in the battery area and takes up a good 2 inches of width.  I want to replace it with the monstrous battery it must have originally had.

Question: Where was the evap canister originally mounted? I'm sure it was not in the location pictured below.

I am not adverse to removing the canister altogether, but the bike runs so darn well the way it is I'm afraid to mess with it. I would like to mount an original size battery, though, which is pretty massive and requires all the available space in the battery tray.

Thanks, as always.

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
Re: Stupid evap canister question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 08:09:43 PM »
Steve, I removed both canisters from my 98 EV. Got rid of that garbage. No difference in running. Yours looks like an oil catch can. Get rid of it.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 08:38:13 PM »
That is one of the 1st years for the canister to be there and a CH20 batt or whatever 20AH bat you want. Take it out & delete. then you can have the old normal 32AH batt in there.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 10:54:27 PM »
That is one of the 1st years for the canister to be there and a CH20 batt or whatever 20AH bat you want. Take it out & delete. then you can have the old normal 32AH batt in there.

Do I need to plug the hoses, connect them together, or just let them hang?  Thanks.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 10:54:27 PM »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 07:26:37 AM »
Yup thats where it lives. My 02 Stone had it there also. Took some searcing to find the right smaller battery at the time. [got one for a '10 calvin] I ended up pulling mine out when I was going through the bike replacing old cracked hoses. As for what to do with the hoses, I just ran the vent hoses down behind the trans like the other hoses, and got rid if the T hose connected to the intakes, and just replaced it with a hose connecting the two intakes together. I still have the small battery in mine, because its still good, but I filled the spot with a small plastic box that I keep my reg paperwork in.
Paul B

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 08:35:44 AM »
That is where the evap canister goes. I left mine and the hoses in place to help keep moisture and such from venting in and out of the tank. The system works, don't screw with it.
And my original battery in the EV lasted somewhere around 10 years if I recall. No need to add a bigger battery brick to carry around.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 07:21:18 PM »
Big Thank You to barrypenn for offering the elegant, sophisticated solution AND the wham bam thank you mam solution. I will pursue the latter!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here