Author Topic: First Guzzi  (Read 2106 times)

Offline BusaNinja811

• New Egg
First Guzzi
« on: October 18, 2021, 07:15:20 AM »
Finally bought my first Guzzi. 98 V11 EV

Thanks Kevin, glad to be joining the Guzzi gang.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: First Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 08:34:39 AM »
Welcome.  :thumb: and welcome to WG..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 10:55:38 AM »
That looks comfy. Enjoy the ride! :thumb:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 11:37:19 AM »
You have one of the best platforms, Guzzi has ever made. Congratulations! The EV, is one of my favorite Guzzis.Yours looks well cared for. Love the seat!
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 11:37:19 AM »

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 11:42:18 AM »
It only took 20 years of me preaching Guzzi to him to get him into one. That's a new record.  :laugh:
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 12:12:18 PM »
Some things to keep an eye on.  Regina and I ride identical 98 EV (except for color).  100,000 miles each.

Have the rear lights been modified to prevent the risk of melting and failing the reflectors?
Has the hand brake switch been lubricated to prevent the brake light from locking ON and thus melting the rear lights as above?
Have all four turn indicators been checked for tightness to prevent eventual mount fracture?
Has the recall been done for a second 'pull-closed' throttle cable?
Has the fuel filler cap moat been inspected to insure there is no drain blockage?
Have the front brake rotor buttons been spun and lubricated to minimize binding and pulsing?
If you remove the tank, are you aware of the color coding for wiring of the electric petcock and fuel level sensor?
Have you removed the timing sensor from the bell housing to wipe away metallic dust and swarf?
Inspect the routing of the spark secondary wires which are prone to chaffing and abrasion (thus short circuiting) against cylinder fins.

Like all machines, this bike has a few oddities that need attention.  Once you're on top of those it is a brilliant and simple platform for joy.  Someone else might chime in with a few more advisory items.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 01:05:47 PM »
Like all machines, this bike has a few oddities that need attention.  Once you're on top of those it is a brilliant and simple platform for joy.  Someone else might chime in with a few more advisory items.

This statement, after a list that long of things he should do to the bike he just bought, reminds me of the old joke about how Harleys are great, because all you have to do is roll one off the showroom floor, change the lights, tires, bars, seat, intake, exhaust, etc, and it's basically ready to ride.  :laugh:

Let's not scare the new guy too much lol. The bike has been serviced and worked on by Ace Mallot its entire life, so my guess is that the answer to all of those questions is yes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 01:20:40 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 01:43:16 PM »
Welcome!
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline BusaNinja811

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 02:24:57 PM »
You have one of the best platforms, Guzzi has ever made. Congratulations! The EV, is one of my favorite Guzzis.Yours looks well cared for. Love the seat!
Rick

Yeah, it'll be just a tad more comfortable than my Hayabusa for the longer rides. LOL

Offline BusaNinja811

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 02:31:56 PM »
This statement, after a list that long of things he should do to the bike he just bought, reminds me of the old joke about how Harleys are great, because all you have to do is roll one off the showroom floor, change the lights, tires, bars, seat, intake, exhaust, etc, and it's basically ready to ride.  :laugh:

Let's not scare the new guy too much lol. The bike has been serviced and worked on by Ace Mallot its entire life, so my guess is that the answer to all of those questions is yes.

Haha, you forgot about the Harley's engine being in there the wrong way.

The brakes do pulse a bit, so I'll have to check that out. I'm sure there will be a few things on my list of things to do. But it's nice to have a starter list of things to check.

You know I'm tough to scare. 😁

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 02:38:45 PM »
Congrats and welcome.

Couldn’t do any better than “BusaNinja” for a screen name on a Guzzi forum?

:grin:
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline BusaNinja811

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 02:48:13 PM »
Congrats and welcome.

Couldn’t do any better than “BusaNinja” for a screen name on a Guzzi forum?

:grin:

Haha, yeah. That's my standard screen name for most forums. And my Xbox gamertag.
Also, when I set up the account, I wasn't a Guzzi owner yet.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 03:41:35 PM »
Welcome to the madhouse, where you'll find most everything you need, and a few things that you didn't know you needed.
I absolutely love the color! :drool:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 03:43:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  It’s a great group. I think your handle is great.  We need a few people who don’t remember rotary dial phones. I’m interested in your thoughts about riding the Guzzi compared to the Hayabusa. 
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Congratulations with your FIRST Guzzi!  :grin:

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 05:24:00 PM »
We need a few people who don’t remember rotary dial phones.

Well, you're s**t out of luck, then. He's a few years older than I am, and I remember them. We're not THAT young, though I wish I was lol.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 05:51:35 PM »
JC85, I've got shifter bushings around here somewhere  he will be a happy camper if we get those tightened up
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Offline BusaNinja811

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 07:28:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  It’s a great group. I think your handle is great.  We need a few people who don’t remember rotary dial phones. I’m interested in your thoughts about riding the Guzzi compared to the Hayabusa.

So far, the the first thing I notice is 1st gear doesn't get me to 80 mph.

But in all seriousness, having pretty much exclusively ridden a Hayabusa for the past few years, the EV just feels more like being able to take a leisurely ride instead of always feeling like I'm holding back a tiger on cocaine as we walk past a butcher shop. I love the Hayabusa for a lot of things, but any more than 300 miles in a day and I'm wishing I was on something else.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 12:47:31 AM »
  the EV just feels more like being able to take a leisurely ride instead of always feeling like I'm holding back a tiger on cocaine as we walk past a butcher shop.

My CalVin is very similar to and an evolution of your bike, like a favorite pair of old slippers, very dependable and always a nice relaxing zen ride.

I agree with the other comments, what a pretty blue, very comfy looking and well set up!  :thumb:

Welcome aboard, wishing you many safe miles and smiles on your new ride.

:bike-037:
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 03:14:28 AM »
Well, you're s**t out of luck, then. He's a few years older than I am, and I remember them. We're not THAT young, though I wish I was lol.
What does that make me then, I remember hand crank. our number was 38. the exchange was only in operation up until midnight. you could ask though to be left plugged into another line if you needed to call in the middle of the night.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 04:00:01 AM »
 :thumb:

Congratulations on the bike.  Nice pick.

: :bike-037:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 09:25:39 AM »

Hell.. our first "number" was two shorts and a long.  :shocked: If you wanted to call somebody that wasn't on the party line, one long ring would bring up the operator, who you knew by name.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 10:46:34 AM »
Hell.. our first "number" was two shorts and a long.  :shocked: If you wanted to call somebody that wasn't on the party line, one long ring would bring up the operator, who you knew by name.  :smiley:

I'm old enough to remember using rotary dial (had in our house until I was about 12), but I was also fortunate to be able to experience a party line at a family cottage right into the 80s.  This 'bridge to the past' let me relate to an earlier generation of people and technology in a way that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.  It was a fun novelty, but I can see that it could have been inconvenient in daily use.  It seems that someone on each party line was infamous for listening in on everyone's business.  🤫

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2021, 11:19:13 AM »
welcome to the fray.  sounds like the bike is in good hands, with a knowledgeable rider diggin' it for what it is. Enjoy!

I believe more and more, the tonti california is going to be the gateway drug to older air cooled Guzzis for riders of other brands. Their are just so many out there. It was for me.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

bobrebos

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2021, 11:41:13 AM »
Nice bike, and i see it says you are from Salina Kansas.  Isnt that close to where wildguzzi has one of its get togethers at?  Cedar Vale if I remember correctly.....  Welcome.   :thumb:

Offline BusaNinja811

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2021, 02:25:06 PM »
Nice bike, and i see it says you are from Salina Kansas.  Isnt that close to where wildguzzi has one of its get togethers at?  Cedar Vale if I remember correctly.....  Welcome.   :thumb:

Yeah, JC85 has been inviting me for a couple years and there have just been some scheduling conflicts. Hopefully be able to attend the next one.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 06:11:35 AM »
Mr. Hayes gave you a few things to check. With a quarter million miles on '98 Ev's I'll give you a few things to check.

Put on 4 gallon fuel cell as the 4.8 gallon tank only gives you a school girl riding distance.
 The hand grip material is CRAP. Mine were down to the metal at only 130K. John Ulrich felt sorry for me and gave me a new pair.
The fake chrome panels cracked in two years time with around 100K. I'll take some of the blame for that as I rode on many gravel roads and didn't check them enough.

Good bike for pulling a trailer as I pulled a KwikKamp with a fat girl as passenger from coast to coast. Never did replace a clutch.

Ace is a top notch wrench so your bike is all set to put some miles on.

Tex

Offline BusaNinja811

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »
Put on 4 gallon fuel cell as the 4.8 gallon tank only gives you a school girl riding distance.
 The hand grip material is CRAP. Mine were down to the metal at only 130K.

Thanks. The tank has already been modified by Ace to be (I believe) 6.3 gallons.

The grips are definitely wearing a bit, so I'll probably be looking for replacements in the near future.

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 11:07:55 AM »
Welcome beautiful bike
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 07:20:51 AM »
The first one will just leave you wanting another, then another and another... :grin:
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here