Author Topic: Enfield Owners Chime in  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Enfield Owners Chime in
« on: July 29, 2022, 10:43:41 AM »
I'm seeing a few of our WG folks mentioning their Royal Enfields. Got me curious. Tell us about your Enfields.

2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
Re: Enfield Owners Chime in
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 11:51:10 AM »
I'd been considering adv bikes for a couple years, but not 'street' adv- i.e. 1200cc street bikes with semi-knobbies. Knowing specifically my requirements and my preferences, I'd settled philosophically on the RE Himalayan. I taught my housemate to ride a last year on my '74 Aermacchi 350 Sprint, and she needed a new bike- so after much discussion about *where* she would want to ride, and what a 'first bike' needed to be- and having been watching Itchy Boots on YouTube for a year- she bought a Himalayan a year ago. She's just crossed 2k miles, mostly 35-50mph flat straights in S. Fla. But we did take it up to North Georgia for a weekend, and rode 2-up there. I can confidently say that the shortcomings of the bike are in my opinion unfounded whining. The brakes are perfectly adequate, if you aren't spoiled by dual brembos. The engine is not powerful, but is incredibly manageable and forgiving in throttle, powerband, and clutch action. It had all the power it needed to take 350 pounds of people and gear up some pretty steep grades without complaint. Valve adjustment took longer to figure out how to get the tank off than to perform the adjustment. I have nothing but high regard for the thing, and when I decide to make room for 'a dirt bike' I'm pretty certain it will be a RE.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 01:29:54 PM »
A friend who is the current mechanic at the shop and serious HD rider has several new Enfields.  He did a 7K+ mile cross country tour on his Himalayan a few weeks ago from SC to CO to CA to Mexico & back.  Had a drive chain break (bodge fix with modified master link from nearby John Deere dealer got him to civilization for a proper new link/chain)  and bent a front rim on a big rock around halfway point which was beaten back into adequate shape to finish the trip home. 

No serious issues or anything related to manufacturing or reliability.  He ordered a new rim for repair after returning to SC.  Otherwise, the bike was great, no serious issues.  He said highway time with headwinds was a drag, but otherwise was very happy with the trip and the machine.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 02:21:35 PM »
Well, It was a 500 Bullet with 1600mi. It had been upgraded with all the accurate Enfield Retro parts and was converted back to right foot shift. Great fun little bike, but slow and hard to kick start. I didn't realize till after i sold it, that it had the compression release removed which was reason for hard starting, I believe.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 06:54:16 PM by ozarquebus »
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 02:21:35 PM »

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 03:12:05 PM »
I'm happy with mine. It's a 2021 model. I have about 3000km on it now, pretty much all in first and second gear going up and down forestry roads in the BC Interior. These roads are gravel and dirt, often heavily rutted from water runoff, often steep and with switchbacks and are used pretty much only by logging trucks, machinery, cowboys checking on cows and on weekends, quad riders.

It is heavier than my older trail bikes, but as others have said, quite well suited for the purpose.

It is a bit underpowered for anything but secondary roads. It is dead easy to service.

I just received a performance cam for it and we'll see if that makes much difference. I only bought the cam for the fun of it. I'm actually content with the bike just the way it is.

Offline 21SC

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 04:14:14 PM »
Step daughter has the Continental GT, I love the bike, great fun and a great value. I will most likely add a new Interceptor over the winter.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 06:37:00 PM »
650 Interceptor here. Great bike, good quality, cheap parts.

Phil

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 07:04:42 PM »
I'll pick up my new 350 classic next week. I was *very* impressed with the looks, build quality, handling, and the character of the engine/transmission. It is *not* very powerful, but it is charming in it's own way. I think it will be a fine back roads bike, even two up as long as we're not planning to go more than 60 or so.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 07:32:18 PM »
I'll pick up my new 350 classic next week. I was *very* impressed with the looks, build quality, handling, and the character of the engine/transmission. It is *not* very powerful, but it is charming in it's own way. I think it will be a fine back roads bike, even two up as long as we're not planning to go more than 60 or so.

Woo hoo Chuck, way to go. It's amazing how little outright power contributes to riding enjoyment. The Interceptor has reminded me that once you have an adequate amount the rest doesn't add to the experience.

Phil
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:33:58 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 08:11:09 PM »
I bought a leftover 2014 bullet 500 for 3995.00. It had like 20 miles on it iirc. Guy bought it and wife said OH NO you don’t Herbert! ( with rolling pin in hand). Anyway I loved it. Had the banana seat.  I put a lycette spring seat on it and UK number plate on front fender.  Little pea shooter pipe.  It was a blast. Turned heads all over town.  Just doesn’t have the ooomph to ride the highways of north texas.  You’ll get killed. Too buzzy at hi speed for me.  Great “burger bike”.  I’d buy another one in a second if I wanted that type of ride

1994 California 1100

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 06:56:55 AM »
I dont have one, but keep going back to thinking that the Himalayan would be the perfect bike to stash at my place on Cape Cod for beating around. There is only one highway, and I avoid it as much as I can, and all the sandy backroads itz really a natural. 9 times out of 10 you dont get over 45 MPH anyway, and the taller, upright riding position will help you see the vacationer 2 cars ahead bricking the breaks for a missed road.
Paul B

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 09:38:53 AM »
Mine’s a bit older….  But it does qualify as a bacon slicer!

2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 09:46:17 AM »
Mine’s a bit older….  But it does qualify as a bacon slicer!

Nice.. :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 09:47:14 AM »

I managed to procure a couple of the Indian market versions of those 350s for the flight crews to use... they want more!

(May not be exactly great on the super slab in the states)

:-)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 09:48:52 AM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 10:13:16 AM »
I managed to procure a couple of the Indian market versions of those 350s for the flight crews to use... they want more!

(May not be exactly great on the super slab in the states)

:-)

No, I've already planned a route home from downtown Indy that *doesn't* include interstates.  :smiley:  Momma didn't raise no foolish children..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 12:04:34 PM »
I bought a 2019 Himalayan for my lovely wife as her first bike (after the Vespa 250ie "gateway" bike I bought her a year earlier).  It is such a great all-rounder and learner bike that I got one for each of my two adult sons, both new to riding.  Have also serviced the bikes with those young men when they are home... The Himalayans are very much in line with how we roll here: all-purpose, great at nothing but good at almost everything, at a fair price.  Will try to attach a photo of the whole famn damily on last summer's ride up Pike's Peak (I didn't roll the wideass Stelvio in for the picture, but it got my daughter and I up there easily).

Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 03:24:53 PM »
probably not everybody's taste
originally this  a 1992 enfield 500 bullet, a india import  i used to run it as a daily transport for years.
once properly put together the thing was amazingly reliable.

after that it got a bit of tuning and a homemade chassis ,
it ended up weighing 120 kilo , with fuel
still not the fastest thing on the road ,90-95 mph flat out,  but great fun to ride

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 08:34:39 PM »
Hay Shorty

I got a new Meteor and its a "Great Bike" for everything but the SuperSlab !   

Most of my ridding with the wife is (30-55mph) back-roads with a creek running alongside us.    The Meteor is perfect ! 
We get between 85 and 90 mpg doing our putt - putt rides.

I have done some commuting on it in 55mph zones , so keeping up with traffic it still get 75 -80 mpg. 

Windshield , saddlebags (and racks) , removable trunk (luggage rack) , crash-bar , Tank Bag (Vault) , and skid plate added .   :laugh:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 09:41:12 PM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 09:47:27 PM »
Hay Shorty

I got a new Meteor and its a "Great Bike" for everything but the SuperSlab !   

Most of my ridding with the wife is (30-55mph) back-roads with a creek running alongside us.    The Meteor is perfect ! 
We get between 85 and 90 mpg doing our putt - putt rides.

I have done some commuting on it in 55mph zones , so keeping up with traffic it still get 75 -80 mpg. 

Windshield , saddlebags (and racks) , removable trunk (luggage rack) , crash-bar , Tank Bag (Vault) , and skid plate added .   :laugh:

Nice!   I been wanting a windscreen. They say the stock screen was not sold with the bikes because they are not DOT approved. Did you buy your screen seperately? Do you like it?
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 08:27:47 AM »
yes its a nice little screen .    Its not much screen for folks who wear open 1/2 helmets a little taller would be nice but I'm 5'10" and sit tall in the saddle .  :cheesy:    But it looks nice and fitting on this bike .    I get on my Guzzi with its tall Memphis Shield and it seems like a different world !   :laugh:
I got it off Ebay for about $100 ?  Worth every penny .
2016 V7-II Stone

Offline AAAltered468

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2022, 10:09:09 AM »
I had a love affair with an ‘04 Bullet 500.

These were the last year of the iron head, 4 speed, carbureted bikes before the serious evolution into the 21st century began.  Very close to the original 1955ish design.  I loved it. It *always* needed something, it provided hours of garage therapy.

Didn’t go anywhere fast, but chugged around the beach at 3mph in first lol.  Lost to Sandy along with my Griso in 2012…

1971 Yamaha R5
1976 Yamaha RD200
2007 Griso (lost to Sandy)
2004 Royal Enfield Bullet (lost to Sandy)
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline majstevetrevor

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2022, 12:49:09 PM »
Nice, that’s the standard right there!

I had a love affair with an ‘04 Bullet 500.

These were the last year of the iron head, 4 speed, carbureted bikes before the serious evolution into the 21st century began.  Very close to the original 1955ish design.  I loved it. It *always* needed something, it provided hours of garage therapy.

Didn’t go anywhere fast, but chugged around the beach at 3mph in first lol.  Lost to Sandy along with my Griso in 2012…

Offline majstevetrevor

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2022, 12:52:47 PM »
I had a 2015 C500 for two years. Loved the looks of the bike and the feel of the single, but man did it have mechanical issues, esp gearbox. Just couldn’t hang with it as my only bike. But still miss it and am thinking of getting one as a second bike.

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2022, 02:57:54 PM »
But still miss it and am thinking of getting one as a second bike.

That looks just like the new 350 Classic  !  But its the same motor as the Meteor.    :thumb:
2016 V7-II Stone

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2022, 03:34:33 PM »
yes its a nice little screen .    Its not much screen for folks who wear open 1/2 helmets a little taller would be nice but I'm 5'10" and sit tall in the saddle .  :cheesy:    But it looks nice and fitting on this bike .    I get on my Guzzi with its tall Memphis Shield and it seems like a different world !   :laugh:
I got it off Ebay for about $100 ?  Worth every penny .

It'll probably be perfect with a little Ebay adjustable winglet on top. Thanks! :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2022, 08:14:42 PM »
I have a 2016 Classic 500 and it was the reason I started riding road bikes. It was so beautiful I had to have one. Mine has a Power Commander and AT-200 Auto Tuner, custom cams, an open airbox, header and flyscreen from hitchcocks, and an Indian made silencer from Ebay that sounds fantastic. I have 10,000 plus miles on it and it has done the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Asheville twice and camping trips up in the Catskills. Nice up to about 70 mph and then the handling gets a bit squirrelly do to frame flex. Wonderful bike and a joy to ride backroads.
My issues have been with the negative lead at the back of the battery, a known defect and simple repair. And a connector has given me issues with the electric start but I find it super easy to kick over even with the compression release eliminated, but I weigh 210lbs. Other than that, flawless and just a grin machine.
 Scott

Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2022, 10:29:51 PM »
The 2021 Enfield Interceptor 650 is my 86th bike in 85 years.   I bought it new 20 months ago and have put 4000 miles on it so far.  Overall, I am very impressed by it.  Design and build quality appear excellent, being vastly better than most earlier models from Royal Enfield (World's oldest maker in continuous production, going back to 1901).   Oil, filter air filter, and spark plugs are very easy to access.   Valve clearance checks and adjustments are somewhat difficult, due to the close fit of the valve cover and long o-ring under the top frame tube and ABS control unit.  But, it's not terribly hard and there are excellent "how-to" videos on You Tube. 

The OEM seat and suspension are horrible, at least for a 135# rider.  I added a Russell seat and lightly sprung IKON shocks, which made a world of difference in rider comfort.  I was a bit challenged by the Enfield's weight, (482# per Cycle World test) and fitted a "TEC" 2 into 1 lightweight stainless steel exhaust, which saved 27#.  The OEM twin exhaust system is beautiful, but morbidly heavy for me.  I keep the Decibel killer in the TEC system's muffler and it's not very loud at all.  Gearbox and slipper clutch are first class. EFI tuning is excellent and the bike pulls very cleanly at 2000 rpm in all 6 gears.  I added a 1 tooth larger countershaft sprocket to drop revs a bit.  Fuel mileage is a consistent mid-60s per gallon of 87 octane unleaded.   

I was very impressed with RE's 3 year warranty and free roadside assistance.  I have not needed to use either so far.   I converted the wheels to tubeless for easy repair of on-road punctures.

Two thumbs up for my Enfield and I believe this would apply to any late model Royal Enfield models.  There is an excellent video "The Royal Enfield Factory at Ongadaram" on You Tube.
The assembly line and automation are very impressive, but what impressed and delighted me is that all paint striping is done by two young fellows who are particularly gifted at the art. 

Ralph

Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2022, 05:48:24 AM »
A couple of my friends have 650 Interceptors....... .very nice bikes, but the seat is awful for someone 212lbs as well. The do offer a more comfortable touring seat for a little over $100, and it is better, but still not good. And I do think my V7 III Special is in another class.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline majstevetrevor

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2022, 03:36:04 PM »
But still miss it and am thinking of getting one as a second bike.

That looks just like the new 350 Classic  !  But its the same motor as the Meteor.    :thumb:
Yes, I recently went and test rode one of the new classic 350s. They look great, but they just don’t feel the same to me. Just too smooth. and the riding position felt a little more cramped and a little less relaxed than the 500s did.

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2022, 06:11:41 PM »
 Himalayan 650:  Chetopa, KS. on FBMarketplace
Technically a violation of rules to say so here, but...

John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here