Author Topic: Sticky Shifting  (Read 1671 times)

Offline WP2

• Gosling
Sticky Shifting
« on: August 06, 2018, 02:50:40 PM »
I've been searching the site for clues on my new issue - can't find any discussion on it, so here I am.

Issue is on a "03 EV-T with about 55,000 miles.

Over the last 1000 miles the shifter has become "sticky", taking more effort to downshift to first and second.
Upshifting is also "sticky" but not as bad as trying to go down to first and second. To describe sticky...Feels like there is some resistance when downshifting - not a hard mechanical feel but just resistance. I can downshift but it takes more pressure than it should or has over the time I've owned the bike and it is getting to the point that I anticipate not being able to downshift at all.
Linkage looks good and is adjusted without excessive slack or tightness. Many thousand miles ago I replaced the Heim joints on the linkage with upgrades from McMaster-Carr.

Any thoughts out there to point me on where to look?

Thanks.

Walt
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:51:54 PM by WP2 »
'03 EVT
Jenison, Michigan
MGNOC

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Sticky Shifting
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:59:34 PM »
adjust your clutch cable?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 05:53:02 PM »
If my transmission gets the least bit low on lube shifting effort increases similarly
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Offline WP2

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 06:19:08 PM »
adjust your clutch cable?

Adjusted it and it didn't help in the garage - Pouring rain today, I'll give it a ride in the morning to test.

Thanks
'03 EVT
Jenison, Michigan
MGNOC

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 06:19:08 PM »

Offline WP2

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
If my transmission gets the least bit low on lube shifting effort increases similarly

didn't think of that. I recently changed the fluids...guess I better take a look.

Walt
'03 EVT
Jenison, Michigan
MGNOC

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 06:21:07 AM »
It might be no more than loose/misadjusted linkage.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
For me    and remember I'm just saying me  spending a few hours on my bicycle climbing hills in misery has really helped my shifting.

In other words being a chubby rider whose gotten weak and lazy this last decade is part of the problem.

Of course we're talking about the V11 Lemans which I've changed the tranny fluid, replace the shifter spring, changed back from sloppy rearsets to factory pegs + shifter mechanism then lubed/tuned the whole mess.

We are riding "agricultural equipment" so I expect to have to use a firm, decisive foot.

Mark 

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
You might check the bushing for the shift lever. One would think it would wear and loosen, but who knows? Could be some grot in there.

Rich A

Offline WP2

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »
You might check the bushing for the shift lever. One would think it would wear and loosen, but who knows? Could be some grot in there.

Rich A

Good thought. I have the Lee Bruns bushing in there and will check it out. Feels like there is resistance possibly there - good excuse to clean and grease it.
I'll go through all the suggestions. Probably won't be able to get to it til Saturday (life happens).
I'll post what I find - thanks to all and if there are more suggestions/tips, bring 'em on.

Walt
'03 EVT
Jenison, Michigan
MGNOC

Offline WP2

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »

Rich A

Rich -

I owe you a beer  :boozing:
Finally got to it and you were 100% correct - lotsa crud, not directly in the bushing but on the surfaces that the shifter rotates against. Cleaned it all, inspected the bushing (good and tight) regreased it and reinstalled. Shifts like new while on the lift - test ride later...

This is one of those areas that is simple to maintain but I'm sure most of us don't do until something causes us to think about it. It'll be a routine winter thingie now.

Thanks to all that spoke up.

Walt
'03 EVT
Jenison, Michigan
MGNOC

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here