Author Topic: Buying a new bike? Thinking about it?  (Read 1609 times)

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
Re: Buying a new bike? Thinking about it?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 12:01:21 PM »
I have friends that keep steering me toward a BMW 1250 GS or GSA.  Heck, they even make a "low" model now - for us guys with short legs.  Still, I'm hesitant to let go of the $$$.   There's a lot of electronics on the new ones, but I think I'd just as well have an old air head.

Besides, I have this liter VSTROM.  It says "Adventure", right on the side.    :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

I bought the first year 2002 VStrom and owned it for 17 years before I sold it to a good friend of mine and I bought my current V 85.
Dollar for dollar, the VStroms, both large and small, are remarkable machines.  Ride the wheels off that white beast.

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 12:03:39 PM »
The V85TT is my sport touring bike.  But, a sport touring bike that I don't mind taking down a dirt road or doing a water crossing on.
I tell myself that same thing every time I see a post about or a picture of the V100.  So far its working....
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 12:43:55 PM »
Buying a new bike?

No.... :sad:

Thinking about it?

All the time...(*SIGH*) :laugh: :grin: :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 02:44:37 PM »
It’s a strange thing for me.
I’ve had so long with my Norge and now know it so well, the V100 would feel like an attractive flighty stranger that I’d been enticed by. The promise of “good times” to an ageing old biker by a young prospect, when my current long term partner has stayed the course and looked after me when I knew I was at the limit of what I should be doing, is an elixir that many old men before me have taken.
I don’t want to find out the truth of how much “better” the Mandello is, because the sun will then begin to set on my relationship with my Norge and I want to prevent that.
There is something (for me) that can only happen after 16 years and 209,000 km and I won’t live long enough on bikes to arrive at that point on a Mandello, so in a very real sense I will be pursuing something that time will not allow me to achieve and I’ll be looking at my Norge on her centrestand over in the corner saying to me…
“What did I do wrong…” ?
The answer is simple…Nothing.
There are many guys who look at their partners and decry the lines on their face or the changing silhouette and want to look elsewhere, often to bolster their own fading sense of self worth and inner confidence, when all it does is highlight their deficiencies.
It’s the lines on her face and the familiar curves that bind me to my Norge and for that reason and the more esoteric ones above, that lead me to the conclusion…?
No, I don’t “want” another bike.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 04:24:37 PM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 02:44:37 PM »

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2023, 03:16:25 PM »
It’s a strange thing for me.
I’ve had so long with my Norge and now know it so well, the V100 would feel like an attractive flighty stranger that I’d been enticed by. The promise of “good times” to an ageing old biker by a young prospect, when my current long term partner has stayed the course and looked after me when I knew I was at the limit of what I should be doing, is an elixir that many old men before me have taken.
I don’t want to find out the truth of how much “better” the Mandello is, because the sun will then begin to set on my relationship with my Norge and I want to prevent that.
There is something (for me) that can only happen after 16 years and 209,000 km and I won’t live long enough on bikes to arrive at that point on a Mandello, so in a very real sense I will be pursuing something that time will not allow me to achieve and I’ll be looking at my Norge on her centrestand over in the corner saying to me…
“What did I do wrong…” ?
The answer is simple…Nothing.
There are many guys who look at heir partners and decry the lines on the lines on their face or the changing silhouette and want to look elsewhere, often to bolster their own fading sense of self worth and inner confidence, when all it does is highlight their deficiencies.
It’s the lines on her face and the familiar curves that bind me to my Norge and for that reason and the more esoteric ones above, that lead me to the conclusion…?
No, I don’t “want” another bike.
Deep thoughts indeed.  Are you sure you are talking about a motorcycle?

As a guy in a bar once told me, "What's the difference between your wife and a motorcycle?  A motorcycle doesn't divorce you if you hop on another..."
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2023, 03:18:05 PM »
The motorcycle market has certainly been abnormal since I the the last few years. I have gotten some exceptional deals as a buyer. Actually now it seems like the market is stabilizing a bit and the good deals are fewer and farther between.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2023, 04:28:29 PM »
Deep thoughts indeed.  Are you sure you are talking about a motorcycle?

As a guy in a bar once told me, "What's the difference between your wife and a motorcycle?  A motorcycle doesn't divorce you if you hop on another..."
Yes, but I did not try to hide the metaphorical connection between the two schools of thought.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2023, 05:40:38 PM »
Agreed.  The newish H-D's really look made to a price.  Simply not attractive like they used to be, IMHO.

Hard disagree.

I think you're confusing "made to a different aesthetic" with "made to a price".

As much as I was misty-eyed about my 96 EVO RK my 2016 is better in every single way (but mass).

And honestly I think the new Softails are da bomb where the originals just were bombs.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline 21SC

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2023, 09:01:04 PM »
I want a scooter.

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2023, 07:32:15 AM »
I went to a Kawasaki demo day late last fall and the only bike that intrigued me was the z900rs Cafe.  The ride and the sound were intoxicating.  The radiator killed it for me.

upload picture to internet

No attempt to hide the radiator or the radiator cap.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

guido guzzi

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2023, 09:49:12 AM »
Buying a new bike?

No.... :sad:

Thinking about it?

All the time...(*SIGH*) :laugh: :grin: :wink:

THIS^^  :drool:

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2023, 10:07:35 AM »
A Vespa. They don't give them away, no matter how old they are. Depreciation? Not Vespas.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Gustav

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2023, 11:01:29 AM »
I want a scooter.
  Have had 3 scooters, 2013 Honda pcx 150, 2013 BMW c600 sport, 2013 Honda fsc 600 SilverWing. SilverWing is a keeper. Paul

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2023, 11:11:21 AM »
What Huzo said. I am happy with mine. The Triumph has been with me since 1973, my Cal since '01. My Monster is the new girl from '19. Have owned over forty machines, these are the keepers.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2023, 11:20:23 AM »
dang, just when I'm getting ready to list my very well sorted Breva for $3200! (3k to forum members  :evil:)

Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2023, 12:33:22 PM »

I'd consider one of these if Suzuki would put a realistic price on it. As-is, it's a few bucks shy of the Ducati Desert X, H-D Pan America and non-DCT Africa Twin 1100. I also like their new GSX-S1000+. I could see that replacing my Versys 1000.

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2023, 03:06:56 PM »
My problem is like a hockey team with a salary cap. I need to remove one to add a different one.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2023, 03:45:05 PM »
My problem is like a hockey team with a salary cap. I need to remove one to add a different one.
My problem with a new Mandello is a bit like celery (sic) too…
At first it will be new and shiny and won’t flex under hard use, but it will go limp after the honeymoon period wears off… :wink:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here