Author Topic: YOU CANT TOUR WITH THAT!.....  (Read 9853 times)

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
YOU CANT TOUR WITH THAT!.....
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:13:38 AM »
I like this guy...Capn America helmet in there...

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:27:27 AM by chuck peterson »
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: YOU CANT TOUR WITH THAT!.....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 05:28:49 AM »
Reminds me of when I was riding the PCH on my KLX250S.  Every time someone saw my TN license plate they had to ask if I rode it all the way from TN.  I stated that if I had enough time I could have.  The difference being the amount of miles I could cover in a day compared to a touring bike.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kai

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
..That's what i thought a while ago as well, until I found the adventures
of this couple on  Honda Super Cup 90's -  https://youtu.be/7_yJ2kcQilw

Amazing, but in the end perfect : Low weight, eeeaasy handling, low fuel consumption, nearly indestructible.
On roads like those in the video you don't really go faster with a fully equipped Beemer GS and in case of a slide and fall
you don't have to fight to lift it up.

I'm still impressed  :thumb:
Spending my free time mostly with these Guzzis

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »
One of the guys on the triples board showed up at the annual 2-stroke meet at Deals Gap on a 100c 2-stroke Kawasaki that he had ridden there from Chicago.  His board name is "Ihatemybike".
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
Met Nathan Millward at the London moto show and have his signed book.  Sydney to London on a "postie bike".  Then NYC to Alaska.

https://www.nathanmillward.com/

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »
..That's what i thought a while ago as well, until I found the adventures
of this couple on  Honda Super Cup 90's -  https://youtu.be/7_yJ2kcQilw

Amazing, but in the end perfect : Low weight, eeeaasy handling, low fuel consumption, nearly indestructible.
On roads like those in the video you don't really go faster with a fully equipped Beemer GS and in case of a slide and fall
you don't have to fight to lift it up.

I'm still impressed  :thumb:

That's my take.   I shake my head in befuddlement when I read the travelogues of people who crossed South America or Africa or South Asia "the hard way", and instead of riding a 250cc or 350cc bike that cost $4995 new which they can pick up if it falls over, or will ride easy on a balsa raft, sips gas at 60 MPG, and which will run 60 MPH all day in areas where they might make 50 miles a day if they're lucky .....

... they have a $15,000, 1200cc, 5-foot-tall monster that weighs over half a ton gross on the road, that's impossible to pick up alone, that breaks subframes, can't go over light bridges, bogs in mud up to the seat, gets 35 MPG ....  I mean, their own journals are a litany of breakdowns due to massive high-tech unfixable-CANbus monsters, while Peggy Thompson or Lois Pryce or someone are motoring along on their 175 or 250 having no such problems, just enjoying the ride ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
A few years ago a 17 year old rode his 70cc Honda step-thru from Los Angeles to New York. On ADVRider I read of a couple that rode SYM step thru bikes (copy of the Honda) around the world. I rode several of those old Hondas when I lived in Japan. Great utility vehicles.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »
Back in the `70's a young Canadian rode across Canada on his Tohatsu 50.

In the `60's a guy rode his Yamaha 100 twin across the US.

I had a neighbor in Carmichael, Ca. who got a degree in Art @ Sac. State who joined the Peace Corpse afterward in the `60's who rode her Mustang scooter to college and when she came home from Argentina with her boyfriend back to Sacramento they did it on a Honda 90 !!!  :shocked:   She was definitely a free thinker.

I knew a former Guzzisti (Lloyd) in Oregon who the last time I saw him he was riding a 125 Suzuki dirt bike which he rode down to Baja among other places.  Before that he had a Ducati 900 Monster but got tired of speeding tickets so down sized.  Lloyd was somewhat of a minimalist and an engineer.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:02:03 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »
That's my take.   I shake my head in befuddlement when I read the travelogues of people who crossed South America or Africa or South Asia "the hard way", and instead of riding a 250cc or 350cc bike that cost $4995 new which they can pick up if it falls over, or will ride easy on a balsa raft, sips gas at 60 MPG, and which will run 60 MPH all day in areas where they might make 50 miles a day if they're lucky .....

... they have a $15,000, 1200cc, 5-foot-tall monster that weighs over half a ton gross on the road, that's impossible to pick up alone, that breaks subframes, can't go over light bridges, bogs in mud up to the seat, gets 35 MPG ....  I mean, their own journals are a litany of breakdowns due to massive high-tech unfixable-CANbus monsters, while Peggy Thompson or Lois Pryce or someone are motoring along on their 175 or 250 having no such problems, just enjoying the ride ....

Lannis
"They choose to do these and the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"...JFK
You still "enjoy the ride" as you say, but it just takes on a different personality.
And there is the undeniable pleasure from a full day at 140 k (plus) when you feel like it.

canuck750

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »
Touring bike of choice in my family for one up riding.
Cheap to buy and maintain, decent gas mileage, good range, reliable and light enough to pick up on your own, plus it will cruise at 70 mph all day long or chug in 1st gear at walking speed.

Been from the arctic circle to the Mexican border a few times and many place in between.

For two up the Beemer sofa on two wheels is hard to beat but I would rather be on the KLR given a choice.

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
The ultimate Guzzi touring bike  :evil:

Nick

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
 :1: :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »
 How about riding across Canada on a C90,in the winter.
https://youtu.be/o9aisWhUaUg
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

twowings

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 06:17:26 PM »
A few years ago a guy rode his Piaggio MP3 500 maxi-scooter from Florida to Alaska round trip and has a video/diary w/music to prove it.  He's not mechanically inclined either.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:18:33 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »
The CT110 and CT90 (postie bikes) are common bikes in Australia and have a bit of a following. The posties use them for their suburban deliveries and they get retired after 3 years or 25000km so plenty on the used market. People like to take them into remote areas of the outback.

https://traveloutbackaustralia.com/5-awesome-outback-postie-bike-adventures.html/

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 08:34:44 AM »
 Many years ago I was at a lady friends house when her son called to say that he was stuck with his broken down car.
  I borrowed her ct trail Honda and a piece of rope and went to the rescue.  The Honda easily pulled the car home.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

twowings

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »
Touring bike of choice in my family for one up riding.
Cheap to buy and maintain, decent gas mileage, good range, reliable and light enough to pick up on your own, plus it will cruise at 70 mph all day long or chug in 1st gear at walking speed.

Been from the arctic circle to the Mexican border a few times and many place in between.

For two up the Beemer sofa on two wheels is hard to beat but I would rather be on the KLR given a choice.

Skagway?

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
Seen on the road to the Nordkapp:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7317806@N06/35715619990

In no particular rush.  :huh: Beats pedaling.  Does he even have a helmet?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:33:56 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
I like this guy...Capn America helmet in there...

My eyes are not so good, but that little Honda world traveler seems to need a drive chain.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

canuck750

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »
Skagway?

Yep, the 'end' after a run up the Dempster.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:14:24 PM by canuck750 »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 07:09:05 PM »
   My eyes are not so good, but that little Honda world traveler seems to need a drive chain.

You're right. :tongue:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »

A classic case of "Ran When Parked"!

"Hey, I rode it in here, didn't I?"

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 07:11:41 AM »
  Some of those little Hondas had stacked sprockets on the rear...there may be a smaller one the pic doesn't show. Carry a piece of chain and extra master link and you have mountain/trail gearing!

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »
  Some of those little Hondas had stacked sprockets on the rear...there may be a smaller one the pic doesn't show. Carry a piece of chain and extra master link and you have mountain/trail gearing!

Terry

That was my first thought but that's a "Passport" and they didn't come with dual sprockets.   Someone could have retrofit one, I suppose, but more likely it's parked so the rider can walk back and find the chain ... !

Lannis

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 02:07:07 PM »
An excellent book is "I See By My Outfit" by Peter Beagle.  It's about two guys in the '60s that crossed America by scooter.  200cc I think.  It's one of the best cycle/travel books I've read.  Try to get a copy that includes the one or two page summary of what happened to their friendship in the years that followed.   (It's no mystery, just as life goes on people diverge).
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »

Terry

My son Jake had a `69 Suzuki 110 2 stroke dirt bike that had a transfer case instead of 2 different rear sprockets to run in dirt or street ranges.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:27:38 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 06:58:15 PM »
Skagway?

We rented a Beaver on floats at Skagway and flew into a pristine lake inland. There wasn't a *sound* when that P&W quit turning. Amazing, and unforgettable.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 08:43:07 PM »
We rented a Beaver on floats at Skagway and flew into a pristine lake inland. There wasn't a *sound* when that P&W quit turning. Amazing, and unforgettable.

The Beaver is my favorite bush plane.  I used to get time in on them during flights around the SE islands when I was the only passenger.  The only time one got completely silent, I sincerely wish it hadn't.   :shocked:

Here we are lining up to the runway at Metlakakla International Airport Oct. 31, 2009.  It's called that because it's at Metlakatla and sometimes Canadians land there.

And so there is no misconception, here's the airport:

And what travel log would be complete without a picture of a native Metlakatlan in traditional business togs?

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here