Author Topic: 850T replace top end with 1000, and lighten the 88mm pistons?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline CanBike

• New Egg
850T replace top end with 1000, and lighten the 88mm pistons?
« on: January 23, 2019, 12:25:30 PM »
Hi All,

Recently bought a very nice '75 850T with 22k miles. Sat a lot, and I knew about the chrome barrels issue, and lo-and-behold, the left side is flaking at the very top of the jug, above where the top ring lands. I pulled the sump and screen, everything was clear. Next, I'll pull the rods and check for damage on the shells. I very much do not want to pull the crank. If the rod shells/crank is damage free, I may just deal with the top end, and run it. (I'm hoping that the chrome bits exited out the exhaust)

I have a lead on a 1000 top end with iron bores. I'm considering it over the Gilardoni kit. I hear the heavier 88mm pistons may introduce vibration. I've also heard that the 88mm pistons can be lightened to be close to the weight of 850 pistons. Has anyone done this? ( I know I'll have to turn down the spigots on the jugs to fit the block) (or I could run the entire engine)

I have a fair amount of experience with airheads and some home-garage balancing on the top ends.

Thoughts?
Thanks

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: 850T replace top end with 1000, and lighten the 88mm pistons?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:29 PM »
Yes, run the V1000 motor complete or make it all work & balance pistons to your 850T piston weights.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here