Author Topic: 2011 Royal Enfield C5 Bullet  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Bullet
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »
Anyone have one or a model with a close year?  I've read some reviews, anyone here have a review?  Any input for a hack tug?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2011 Royal Enfield C5 Bullet
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »
Anyone have one or a model with a close year?  I've read some reviews, anyone here have a review?  Any input for a hack tug?

I has a 2012 C5 Bullet that I bought as a dealer leftover in 2015 for $3,400 OTD. It was a great little 2 wheeled bike that was able to do 70+ indicated w/o drama. A buddy of my had a 2009 Bullet and it buzzed like crazy at anything over 55 mph. As I understand it even today each bike is a little different so if you ride one that buzzes try the one sitting next to it and it will most likely be a totally different.

As much as I liked my RE it was never a keeper and I only bought it because it was so inexpensive. Actually $3,400 OTD should be the regular price as the bike is worth it at that price but is certainly not worth anywhere near MSRP.

Selling RE's is also an adventure. The buying demographic is the EXCEPTIONALLY frugal people from the same country the RE's are manufacturer.  I listed the bike at $3,200 w/ 1000 miles on it and I would get $1,200 "cash" offers and then they would argue with me when I declined. They would say that's what the cost in India.

As for the RE being a tug I'd pass unless you like traveling at 35 to 40 mph everywhere.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  What's the comfortable max r's for the engine and what speed at hour intervals?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »
They have a very heavy flywheel so the RPM's are slow to spool up and if memory serves cruising was around 4,800 ish. Mine ran in a sweet spot of around 60 mph. It was at home on 2 lane back roads.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »
 :thumb:  Thanks!  I'm considering this one on Craigslist.  It won't be an easy buy.  I'm not to keen on the wife or youngest learning and pounding on my Eldo hack.  :tongue: 

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/mol/mcy/6179858450.html

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »
A really no stress ride, especially on the B roads. Very, very good for learners - they are light, handle very well (feels like a toy, even after the V7), the riding position is great for learners - wide bars & the feet can get to the ground quickly, low revving with usable torque everywhere & they don't intimidate. If you get a good one cheaply, you can't really go wrong. Lots of fun. Rode a mate's 350 (carbureted) recently - super-easy to ride, completely stress free, though by no means fast. If you get one, this will be the bike everyone will want jump on to duck up to the shops. Maintenance is old style easy & most parts are cheap. The C5 will handle motorways & a good one will do it all day, although motorways are not it's forte.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
I too fell for a 09 bullet. Very pretty and slow on the back roads. Nuts and bolts would fall off. But the parts r real cheap. Runs at it's best on nice smooth roads at 50 mph. Good luck.. :boozing:

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »
I hate to be the naysayer, but my brother's 2015 bullet with side hack has been a real pain for him. First the throttle body assembly went south, it was just out of warranty, but something way out of the norm. Then without any warning the starter stopped working. Found faulty soldering on the starter. He gave up his prize Triumph for this lighter rig. Now,  there is no dealer in the Phila area.
Be careful. His was brand new.
Pop
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
 As you know the sidecar is worth half of the asking price so I would say that it is probably worth the price.
 Is this purchase for your son?  He should be about the age to be wanting his own sidehack by now.
  Whoops, I just saw the price went up to 3900 dollars.  Now I would say it is getting a bit in the upper class of price.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:19:18 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »
Two things.

At Triumph demo days I ran into a friend who had that year R/E.  I asked him if he still had it and he said no, he sold it as it was problem after problem.

Second, I hacked one of my Bonnies with a COZY sidecar like R/E uses-that piece of equipment should never be confused with quality.
The tub cracked in several places with my 60 pound son in it, hub failed along with bearings, shock was a shock in name only, paint was poor, the wiring was, well, it was left OFF from the factory, the tonno cover didn't fit, the rear trunk would not stay shut as the latch would disconnect over every bump-you get the idea.

I fixed all the issues except paint (lived with it) and had a blast with the rig but quality it most certainly was not.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 10:22:27 PM »
As you know the sidecar is worth half of the asking price so I would say that it is probably worth the price.
 Is this purchase for your son?  He should be about the age to be wanting his own sidehack by now.
  Whoops, I just saw the price went up to 3900 dollars.  Now I would say it is getting a bit in the upper class of price.

This would be for Mauri and GianThomas to use.  The Eldo hack is too heavy for Mauri to push backwards and it's slow enough for both of them.

If the drive-train is durable then it might be a go.  Electronic ignition and FI takes care of the major quirks.  The rest should be easy enough to work on.  I need to do some homework.  Shipping inter-island means I might have to put it on a shipping skid.  2 flights to Molokai and back.  Insurance and re-registering the bike.  The shipping would have to go to Honolulu then on to Kawaihae.  :tongue: 

Easier to teach them on this than direct to a motorcycle. 

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 02:30:46 AM »
If you have a lot of bush tracks around, teach them on a small dirt bike. They're cheap & easily available & are built to fall over. And they'll extra useful skills too.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 03:44:46 AM »
Not an option here.  No dirt and no busy.  Lava rocks.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here