Author Topic: Riding the convert trike  (Read 1712 times)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
Riding the convert trike
« on: August 01, 2019, 11:12:03 AM »
 Rick wanted a ride review on my trike. Here it is. It is not solving my brain balance issue.Because I can't lean like a bike I feel the lateral forces on my body and it makes me feel like I don't have full control.I still have the stock Vert.It is hard to give up riding after 50 years.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Riding the convert trike
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
Looks good, you'll get used to it, just like you got used to riding a two wheeler.
Just give it time.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »
Hey Gearman, First off ,let me tell you you did a beautiful job on that trike. Using trailer fenders, and a "nose" you designed yourself, it looks better than many factory built trikes I have seen. ( look at the ugly snowmobile looking "nose" on a spyder)
  I must say you did a very clean execution, and my hat's off to you! :thumb:
That being said, I ride a goldwing trike conversion  that is not a reverse trike, and thats how it feels when you go around corners, like you are going to slide off the seat sideways. Control on the handlebars involves only push and pull. Your shoulders will get a workout!
  Give it some time, try it with the weight of a passenger and see how it feels. My gold wing is more stable with my wife on back, and thats the only thing I use it for. Its not nearly as fun to ride as any 2 wheeler, but its nice to know I dont have to use my legs to hold up a 900 lb motorcycle with a 200 lb wife on the back! :thewife:
Looking forward to more reviews as you ride it more,
Thanks
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »
Beautiful work and overall job on that bike, it's very tasty looking  :bow:

I share your pain on some of the challenges that OA brings to our riding.

I know I couldn't do it, but with your very obvious skills, it could be easily doable,, perhaps attaching a fair sized adjustable back rest,that made good contact with your lower back,,, might give your body another anchor and reference point to help in the balance equation., just thinking out loud,,,

I know from researching side cars recently, that the riding sensations are completely different,,, the prospect frightened me quite frankly.

It could be that this new sensation that is making you uncomfortable, is not entirely due to your loss of balance,,, your body has 50 years of bike riding muscle memory ingrained in it,,, it would be normal for your senses to feel strange and out of control,,, the feedback and response are completely different,,, go slow and give it time, hopefully you've got an empty parking lot to practice in close by.

Good luck

Kelly   
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
I keep going back to look at the side view photo of your trike, thinking something is missing......I know what it is, some saddlebags!
  I think with some color matched saddlebags it will look much more "balanced"!
  Something roundish, to match the front nose, anyone got any ideas?   :thumb:
Rick.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »
I thought about adding a car type seat with side bolsters but there is some stretching when turning lock to lock.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 02:27:35 PM »
I thought about adding a car type seat with side bolsters but there is some stretching when turning lock to lock.

Now THATS thinking outside the box, Gearman !
Rick.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »
Now THATS thinking outside the box, Gearman !
Rick.
You are right about  large saddlebags to make the rear look wider.

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 09:36:02 AM »
Excellent build, beautiful.
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 10:24:54 AM »
I rented a 4-wheeler at Daytona beach years ago, and all I could do at first was go in circles... none of it made sense to me after riding motorcycles for 15 years (at that point)  :violent1:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »
Excellent job on the conversion, Gearman!  Looks great!

It's not at all surprising that you are feeling uncomfortable riding a vehicle that doesn't lean into turns.  Years of 2-wheel moto riding are now making your brain expect that, when turning, centrifugal forces will be balanced by the bike's lean into the turn.  This is a normal learned response.

Last summer I tried a friend's Can-Am Spyder.   The sensation when cornering, after multiple decades of 2-wheelers, was disconcerting, to say the least, and almost felt like crashing.  Very, very, uncomfortable.  I think it would take me a lot of time and mileage to become accustomed to the non-leaning behavior and sensation of a three-wheeler.  This is rather curious, because I have driven cars since I was 14, with no lean-in during turns.  Most three wheelers (Morgan perhaps excepted), are much more motorcycle-like, IMO, and create the expectation in the rider's mind that the vehicle is going to lean as expected into turns: When it doesn't, that gives rise to consternation, inner-ear disorientation and discomfort.        No Spyder for me, thanks!  Probably much easier for someone with little to no motorcycle experience to assimilate.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »
Excellent job on the conversion, Gearman!  Looks great!

It's not at all surprising that you are feeling uncomfortable riding a vehicle that doesn't lean into turns.  Years of 2-wheel moto riding are now making your brain expect that, when turning, centrifugal forces will be balanced by the bike's lean into the turn.  This is a normal learned response.

Last summer I tried a friend's Can-Am Spyder.   The sensation when cornering, after multiple decades of 2-wheelers, was disconcerting, to say the least, and almost felt like crashing.  Very, very, uncomfortable.  I think it would take me a lot of time and mileage to become accustomed to the non-leaning behavior and sensation of a three-wheeler.  This is rather curious, because I have driven cars since I was 14, with no lean-in during turns.  Most three wheelers (Morgan perhaps excepted), are much more motorcycle-like, IMO, and create the expectation in the rider's mind that the vehicle is going to lean as expected into turns: When it doesn't, that gives rise to consternation, inner-ear disorientation and discomfort.        No Spyder for me, thanks!  Probably much easier for someone with little to no motorcycle experience to assimilate.
Good reply.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 11:34:23 PM »
I only use my Gold wing trike for 2 up riding. If I were to get another trike in the future, this is probably what I would get. Its supposed to feel just like a 2 wheeler.
Rick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3alGM0n1ACA

Offline Roy gardner

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 02:29:17 PM »
Great work there, I am impressed! In fact, I would like to see more of it with the nose cover off to expose the mechanism.
I think that is the best way to build a trike, 2 wheel at the front. They are symmetrical, turning left has the same forces as turning right.
I have owned & operated sidecars on & off for 40 years, you get used to the lateral forces on your body, yes, they can be unnerving for a bit. It helps to keep a bit of weight on your feet, you can load each side of the bike by taking weight off one foot, you learn to use your body quite differently, but to good effect, for exhilarating cornering fun.  :grin:
Sidecars are asymmetric and you have to remember that turning one way involves throttle on & turning the other involves throttle off.
I have also ridden 70's style Volkswagen trikes. They are fun, but the geometry is scary & the front wheels can be made to slide easily, not a big fan!
I'm looking forward to refitting my chair onto a Guzzi. I said 35 years ago, after wrecking my 850 Loop Frame, I wouldnt fit a Guzzi onto a chair again, but after running my 1000LM Convert (LemonVert) for a couple of years now, I have changed my mind. I think the combination of long LM swing arm and the gearing dropped with a 7;33 ring & pinion, it will be a great combination.

Have you dropped your gearing?
MGNOC L112
1973  850 GT (sold 1979)
1974  160 Stornello (bought new 1978)
1972 V7 Sport, (bought 1979, still running strong)
1977 Convert (bought 2009)
1974  850T (ComposT, pawned to buy Vincent parts!
1985? LM 1000 (saved from a savage, has become hotrod Convert)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »
No, I still ride in high gear. I only added 125 pounds.I have listed it on new orleans craiglist.yesterday .

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here