Author Topic: Craftsman tools warranty replacement  (Read 1417 times)

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Craftsman tools warranty replacement
« on: August 01, 2019, 02:24:04 PM »
Hi Folks, I have a craftsman 3/8" long handle flex ratchet that I have owned forever, and the other day I stripped out the gear in it. I took it in to the local ACE store, and the sales associate told me they only warranty craftsman tools if purchased from ACE, and accompanied by a receipt. What are you guys doing to get replacements now that Sears closed its stores?

life was so much better when Sears existed...You would walk in with a broken tool, and before you could even tell the story, they handed you a new one no questions asked! Not only that, but I had a place to hang out  at,while my wife shopped at the mall! :thewife:
Thanks
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: Craftsman tools warranty replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »

I've replaced a ratchet and a phillips screwdriver that I've owned over 25 years with no questions asked at my local Ace. Maybe a conversation with the owner is in order.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 04:24:22 PM »
You should have been able to exchange it there.

Depending on the model, you may not get an exact replacement. I have one like yours, but is old enough that they didn't put the P/N on it. I think it's called a wing model, the reverse lever looks like a wing. People that collect this stuff willl pay up for one. It was my dads, so NFS.

If you want to keep yours, especially if made in the USA, you should be able to find the gear set on fleabay for about $10. Just type Craftsman repair kit and the P/N on the ratchet.

Hope this helps,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »
Yes the old one is better and the replacement not as good....

That being said I took mine into Ace and no questions asked got a new rachet and walked out.  Seems that you need a return trip.

Mark

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 06:33:34 PM »
I think you guys are right. I should have asked to speak to the manager. The clerk I talked to did seem like a bit of a douche bag, and had a flippant attitude. That was the main reason I took my ratchet and walked out. I was going to purchase a few other items, but decided to take my business elsewhere.  I did call the craftsman tools 800 number,they were very helpful, and they are sending me a replacement for free, plus,they dont want my broken one back, so I may just repair it.
 Buying a gear repair kit on ebay is a great idea, thanks for that!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 08:52:25 PM »
My very vintage Craftsman ratchet wrench needed some work, but I took it apart and replaced the internals.  Now it works fine!

The internal ball bearing was beat up, and that's all it needed.  A replacement kit was available, but expensive.  However once inside I could see the the bearing might be the only thing that needed re-doing, and that was enough.  And now I still have my USA wrench!

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 09:00:58 PM »
I stopped using Craftsman about 12 years ago, when Sears started getting picky. It started off with them nixing certain tools like hammers and pry bars from the lifetime warranty and refusing to replace them, and culminated with them refusing to replace a level that was no longer accurate, because it wasn't "visibly broken." Doesn't sound like things have gotten any better. What a shame.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:25:34 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Online amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 09:14:27 PM »
My local Lowes which sells craftsman now said they would exchange old craftsmans tools

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 12:26:09 AM »
I wanted to add that if you do not have a sentimental attachment to the ratchet, getting it replaced is a good option.

The ratchet that I mention was called a Flying V or Butterfly due to the reverse lever. I wanted to get a repair kit for it, it works, just would like to have a kit. The downside, this kit is NLA. When you find one it's about $30-40. I like this ratchet, sentimental value, not sure of how much?

For the more common USA ratchets, the kit's can be had for about $10 or so. If you decide to fix one, take the time and look at how to do it, plenty of vids out there. Pretty straightforward, but getting the little ball back in needs a tool that can be fairly easily made or patience or both.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 05:51:49 AM »
Lowes replaced an old 1/2 drive ratchet for me shortly after they started carrying Craftsman. Of course they would have replaced a Kobalt tool as well.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here