Author Topic: If you are not familair with small-blocks, please...  (Read 1651 times)

Offline danomar

• Hatchling
If you are not familair with small-blocks, please...
« on: August 02, 2019, 06:53:29 PM »
...Let someone else work on it.

private image upload

Apparently the V65 Lario does not work well with an additional quart of oil.  :grin:

Luckily (LUCKILY he writes) it appears that most of the gunk is burned oil. I think. Very little if any metal.

I dropped the pan and there is ridiculously awful black gunk in it slowly draining out before I even try to clean it out. It looks as if someone put moly in the oil, but lord only knows what it is. The previous owner certainly did not.

Has anyone ever tried using an oil flush on the Lario or a small-block motor?

I planned to get some cheap oil and sacrifice it and a filter to try to clean out the insides, but an oil flush would be better. Ideas?

TIA

Daniel

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: If you are not familair with small-blocks, please...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 07:07:58 PM »
I would say a leakdown test is in order. Looks like products of combustion getting by the rings or valves. 

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 07:39:01 PM »
Nasty looking!  I have never heard of a Guzzi undergoing oil-flush, but yours would be a good candidate if you can devise a way to do it.  Please post pics if you do.

As suggested, I think a useful first step would be to do a compression test to ascertain whether the valves and rings are holding or leaking.  Given the suspect nature of previous lubrication, checking the status of bearings and seals would also be wise.

For more pertinent Lario-specific advice, any of the WG members in this thread (and others) could certainly provide relevant guidance based on the results of your early investigations:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=98265.0
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »
Could be worse.

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 03:51:29 PM »
I bought a '65 Falcon Futura with a 389 for $100 in 1981.  Started on the first bump. 

New maypop tires, shocks, and an oil change were needed.  The oil change place couldn't pump oil in the way they normally do because they had to wait for the oil to seep down to the pan which required patience.   

The car served as my rain vehicle for 4 years before I sold it a guy with a family that needed it more than I did. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 04:18:47 PM »
...Let someone else work on it.

I dropped the pan and there is ridiculously awful black gunk in it slowly draining out before I even try to clean it out. It looks as if someone put moly in the oil, but lord only knows what it is. The previous owner certainly did not.

Has anyone ever tried using an oil flush on the Lario or a small-block motor?

I planned to get some cheap oil and sacrifice it and a filter to try to clean out the insides, but an oil flush would be better. Ideas?

TIA

Daniel

Back in the day I often bought older cars, trucks, and bikes. Invariably the oil would come out black, like molasses in January as they say. I figured it was just from a lack of oil changes, so would put in a change of lighter weight oil, say 20 or 30 wt, then just run it until it warmed up good and dump the oil, then fill it with whatever wt oil it called for. Sometimes I'd do it twice with the old Triumphs, cause they didn't have an oil filter. Short of tearing down the engine, It seemed like a decent way to clean out the sludge.
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 04:45:48 PM »
The aforementioned to-do's are good starting points, but how much time & $$ have you? IOW: What you see in the sump is totally duplicated and displaced throughout the engine. I doubt, very much, it can be flushed with any degree of success. And there's no way of knowing you have done any good until it runs again and you have won the lottery.
Every oil galley is loaded and every bearing in that engine has been exposed to an to abrasive mixture. What may be Moly more likely is aluminum; off the cylinder walls and/or, pistons. There's no doubt steel particulate is in the sludge as well. Pull both heads b4 doing anything. Send us pictures.
    Sadly, having seen such b4, I call it trashed.
BTW: Molybdenum is sticky for a reason. Too much is a bad thing. It can build up and cause blockage in tight corners w/out enough turbulent flow. R3~

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 04:50:24 PM »
Could be worse.

Malik, What caused this?

And for all, maybe some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery would help.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline danomar

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »
Could be worse.

Yep, I think you have me beat with that example!  :laugh:

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 05:37:54 PM »
From my time as a teacher who also ran an automotive class, we used to get the manager of Valvoline here in Christchurch in to give lectures on oils.

He did cover something like this.  Early oils did not have anything much in the way of a detergent package.  You fossils from the early days would remember how happy you were when the oil came out clean.  As he pointed out, that meant all the rubbish stayed inside the engine as sludge or deposits.  A lot of older engines only had bypass filters and really ones, none at all.  If the oil had not been changed for some time, and the a high detergent oil was put in, all this sludge and deposits were either dissolved or flaked off.

From memory, the oil film is about nine microns thick, and filters are supposed to take anything above five microns thick out; anything less doesn't matter because it is smaller than the oil film.  In a perfect world then, the flakes etc would sit in the bottom of the sump and the particles would be filtered out.

In actual life, the bigger flakes and particles block the screen, the particles in suspension go through the pump and the mains/big ends before they are actually filtered and the motor ends up damaged.

His message was, change your oil regularly, use a quality filter,  if your oil comes out black then it's doing it's job and of course , use good quality Valvoline oil. :grin:

I must say, the support Valvoline gave me in running that class was outstanding, and other than the Breva where Valvoline don't actually make the correct oil, I still use their products in all my other vehicles and equipment and have never had a lube failure.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 03:29:14 AM »
Malik, What caused this?

This was the carbed Nevada I bought for the frame - a rod had punched holes in the crankcase. One of the con rod caps on the big end had come off (& broke in two), the rod had jumped the crank & jammed the other one. All sorts of destruction in there. In dismantling the bike, it's my opinion that it had been serially abused in its 60,00km odd lifespan. The previous owner, young & inexperienced, only got 500km out of it before it disintegrated under her.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 04:33:24 AM »
This was the carbed Nevada I bought for the frame - a rod had punched holes in the crankcase. One of the con rod caps on the big end had come off (& broke in two), the rod had jumped the crank & jammed the other one. All sorts of destruction in there. In dismantling the bike, it's my opinion that it had been serially abused in its 60,00km odd lifespan. The previous owner, young & inexperienced, only got 500km out of it before it disintegrated under her.

Okay.  Sounds like the previous owner got rooked, buying an abused engine ready to fail.  She didn't know what she got into.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »
I've heard ATF is a good detergent.  Pull plugs, put in gear and get the rear wheel turning to make the oil pump push the ATF through the engine. Don't know if this is good advice, just something I heard a long time ago.  Maybe the more knowledgeable can comment.   
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here