Author Topic: New to Moto Guzzi  (Read 2875 times)

Offline foxbat

• New Egg
New to Moto Guzzi
« on: March 30, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »
I am a newbie here and looking to buy a Moto Guzzi. I love cruisers and was looking at a used California. I have a Triumph Thunderbird 1600cc right now. I have never ridden a Mottoguzzi before and what are is the advice in buying a California and how different is the ride to other cruisers to the California? Is California the best cruiser of Mottoguzzi?
Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:12:53 PM by oldbike54 »

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: New to Mottoguzzi
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 05:42:54 PM »
Which California are you considering?  There have been many over the years.

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
Welcome to the group. As far as the differences there are many. They are a fun platform.which of the California variants are you looking at? Lots of difference between models only thing that seems to be common is they can take some adjustments if you are a long legged build. Ask some specific questions there are lots of opinions here
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »
First off we need to know the model year you are looking at.   There have been "California"  model Guzzis since the 70's. 

The 93 California always comes to my mind.  Fine bike by the way if you are contemplating this one.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:13:52 PM by Dave Swanson »
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 07:22:51 PM »
 Are you comfortable with fuel injection and computers ?

Dusty

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »
Moto Guzzi
Charlie

Offline foxbat

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 07:40:00 PM »
It is the California jackal 2000 or the 2007 California vintage. My Thunderbird is fuel injection. It is not easy to get a Guzzi around where I am in Canada so the options are limited too.
Thank you very much everyone.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 07:43:48 PM »
Are you comfortable with fuel injection and computers ?

Dusty
I’d assume so, he currently rides a 1600 Thunderbird!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 07:44:46 PM »
It is the California jackal 2000 or the 2007 California vintage. My Thunderbird is fuel injection. It is not easy to get a Guzzi around where I am in Canada so the options are limited too.

There are some differences , the 2000 Jackal is a basic 2 valve ditch pump that will handle well , the Vintage has the same engine as an early 1100 Sport , a little more power . The basic platform is the same .

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 07:53:32 PM »
What part of Canada are you at, lots of Guzzis on the Wet Coast
Thats a good range of years but personally I would look for one without the big P8 ECU, there's nothing wrong with it apart from taking up too much room under the seat. The EV is like a Jackal but a bit glitzier with tubeless wheel rims for some model years.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 07:55:06 PM »

The frame on those two are a lot alike. I believe you will find that the Vintage has some changes to accept a wider rear tire.
Both work with Guzzi Diag. Free diagnostic software that even can remap the fuel. You need a cable for about $20.
The Jackal did not normally come with a second front disk, or a tachometer.

In the US, the dealer network is spars. No idea how it is in Canada. Parts from third parties like MGcycle are usually quick, if you do your own work. Sometimes parts from European sources are easier.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 07:56:36 PM »
There are some differences , the 2000 Jackal is a basic 2 valve ditch pump that will handle well , the Vintage has the same engine as an early 1100 Sport , a little more power . The basic platform is the same .

The Vintage is twin plugged, more like a Breva, right?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline foxbat

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 07:58:11 PM »
I am in the east coast and what is called Atlantic Canada or the Maritimes. It is all Harley territory and I want to get something unique like the MottoGuzzi.  The Triumph Thunderbird is unique here too as I have only seen a few here. But only saw one Guzzi a few years back in a bike show.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 08:03:43 PM »
Welcome to the clan. There are psychological self help groups available for the addiction. It gets really insane, what with people treating bikes like family & all that. :shocked:
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 08:10:47 PM »
The Vintage is twin plugged, more like a Breva, right?

Yes , I should have said Breva 1100 , oops . Still , just a little more power than the basic 1100 .

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 08:11:44 PM »
Welcome to the clan. There are psychological self help groups available for the addiction. It gets really insane, what with people treating bikes like family & all that. :shocked:
How come I'm just hearing about this self help group now?
I'm on Guzzi No 7 and currently have 3 in the stable.
Is there any hope for me?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:14:11 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline foxbat

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 08:15:12 PM »
The frame on those two are a lot alike. I believe you will find that the Vintage has some changes to accept a wider rear tire.
Both work with Guzzi Diag. Free diagnostic software that even can remap the fuel. You need a cable for about $20.
The Jackal did not normally come with a second front disk, or a tachometer.

In the US, the dealer network is spars. No idea how it is in Canada. Parts from third parties like MGcycle are usually quick, if you do your own work. Sometimes parts from European sources are easier.

Yes spare parts are difficult and I do order them online for the Thunderbird too. I know a top class mechanic who won a national award for custom bikes and he usually does my Thunderbird too. I guess from the information I am getting here I guess I should avoid the jackal then?

What is the difference between the California and the El Dorado?

I sometimes do about 500km on a day occasionally so need a good seat too. I am 5 feet 9 inches and weigh about 90kgs. I ride single so  not fussy about anything behind me. Crossing the various bridges does cause a bit of a problem sometime with the winds and especially if the wind shield is not the right size and since I do not use a closed helmet I need a decent windshield as I do not want to eat so many bugs. LOL.

Offline foxbat

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »

I understand that. I have always been a fan of European cars and motorcycles compared to the Harleys, Indians, etc. I used to ride a Japanese Bike a Kawasaki Vulcan but found it was smaller than what I was looking for so got the Thunderbird. Beautiful bike too but I have always wanted to buy a Mottoguzzi since I saw one when I was in high school.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 09:02:14 PM »
How come I'm just hearing about this self help group now?
I'm on Guzzi No 7 and currently have 3 in the stable.
Is there any hope for me?

No. Its too late for you Roy. If you have been trying to hide your "issue" your garage is a dead giveaway.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New to Moto Guzzi
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 09:05:00 PM »
  Moto Guzzi  :wink: , Peter

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 09:40:14 PM »
I understand that. I have always been a fan of European cars and motorcycles compared to the Harleys, Indians, etc. I used to ride a Japanese Bike a Kawasaki Vulcan but found it was smaller than what I was looking for so got the Thunderbird. Beautiful bike too but I have always wanted to buy a Mottoguzzi since I saw one when I was in high school.

If you are considering getting rid of the Thunderbird 1600 for a more comparable Guzzi, you should consider looking for the later California, which is 1400cc and a good bit larger and more sophisticated than the Vintage. For example, it has cruise control for those long Canadian highways. Here's a photo:

Moto

P.S. I don't recall what year the 1400 was introduced, maybe around 2010 2013. Someone else will be able to tell you if you express an interest.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:42:55 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 10:22:15 PM »
I had a 1600 T-Bird (sold) and now have a 2001 Jackal.  The bikes are similar in a lot of ways.  The T bird was a bit boring to me-and I'm a BIG Triumph fan and have had a lot of them.  The Jackal is much more engaging to ride, and while I wouldn't call the T bird refined the Guzzi is a bit less so.
I prefer the shaft over the belt and the ease of maintaining the Jackal is a big plus.  I manage 500 mile days (850 or so KM's?) so 300 KM a day is no issue.
The mid 2000's California bikes are simply lovely-you would have a real beauty there.  And you will most certainly stand out from the crowd.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 07:30:44 AM »
Yes spare parts are difficult and I do order them online for the Thunderbird too. I know a top class mechanic who won a national award for custom bikes and he usually does my Thunderbird too. I guess from the information I am getting here I guess I should avoid the jackal then?

I

One great thing about Guzzi's is you can work on them. Anyone thats willing to read up on them, will be set. So if you have a good tech, thats welling to study a bit.. your good.   Also no reason to avoid the Jackal.. They are fine bikes. Stone simple, and good runners. Jackals, Cali stone, EV's..they are really the best value out there. A TON of motorcycle for the money. I would watch out for the 03-04 EV's though...  you get into a hydrolic lifter issue, that you would want to do more research on before you jump..  But the rest...  nice solid values.
Paul B

Offline foxbat

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 08:58:51 AM »
Thank you very much. Yes I will look at the mid 2000 Californias then. The Thunderbird is a beautiful bike too but mine does not have the cruise control so I have to use one of those manual ones. I had a choice of buying a Thunderbird or the Rocket 3 but the Rocket 3 gave me problems with my legs as I felt the gear shifters were not at the proper height for my legs and it kind of gave me cramps. The dealership could not change it either.
The California looks very nice. I went up to the Thunderbird from a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 because it was under powered and did not have a 6th gear.

One question about the Guzzis? How does it feel because the tranverse 90 degree engine compared to other bikes?  I may have to go to the US to buy one I feel as not so common or reasonable price in Canada for the Moto Guzzi.

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 09:11:48 AM »
Nothing wrong with the Jackal. It has a good reputation and is a very basic motorbike, which many people prefer.
The Vintage had too many shiny parts for my taste, but after I rode my uncle’s around Florida a few times, I was a believer.
Either one is an excellent choice.

Bill Lovelady     IS
Eskimo Spy
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 10:36:00 AM »
You may want to call Hamlin Cycles in CT.  I know Jim had a very nice California from the early 2000's there.  I've seen the bike and it was nice.  Jim is also a Triumph master tech and ran a Triumph shop for years so he can point out what's what as well as anybody can.
Shop number is 203-942-2232
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
The Vintage has "integrated braking" and the Jackal does not, so be forewarned that braking the Vintage will take a little adjustment time.  It's a great cheat once you get used to it, but sticking your heel on the nub does take a little thought especially when switching from a traditional bike. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 03:28:07 PM »
If you are considering getting rid of the Thunderbird 1600 for a more comparable Guzzi, you should consider looking for the later California, which is 1400cc and a good bit larger and more sophisticated than the Vintage. For example, it has cruise control for those long Canadian highways. Here's a photo:

Moto

P.S. I don't recall what year the 1400 was introduced, maybe around 2010 2013. Someone else will be able to tell you if you express an interest.

Agree 100%  I have a buddy with a 1600  Thunderbird, and that bike has serious grunt. If you are looking at a Moto Guzzi, a 1400 California Custom or Audace would be a natural and satisfying addition. Unless you want bags, etc, then a touring or MGX.

I went from an FJR to a Griso and Norge, and it took me a while to adapt to the significant loss in power. I still miss it on occasion. Unless you are looking to cut power by 1/2-3/4 I think you may be significantly disenchanted with the comparative loss of power of an 1100 California/ackal/CalVin.  The 1400 motor is sublime and much closer in output and feel to the Thunderbird.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 03:30:02 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »

I sometimes do about 500km on a day occasionally so need a good seat too. I am 5 feet 9 inches and weigh about 90kgs. I ride single so  not fussy about anything behind me. Crossing the various bridges does cause a bit of a problem sometime with the winds and especially if the wind shield is not the right size and since I do not use a closed helmet I need a decent windshield as I do not want to eat so many bugs. LOL.

Jackals are good bikes.  Perhaps someone meant to avoid Jackal owners?   An understandable mistake.   :evil:

No doubt purchasing one, would enhance their reputations.....bei ng a member of the club and all that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:08:54 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 04:17:41 PM »
Perhaps this link from the resident photo Wizard might be appropriate
All the Dealerships in Nth America
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=81314.msg1659933#msg1659933
I bumped it up top.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:36:10 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here