Author Topic: Virginia to PEI & Novascotia this summer  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Virginia to PEI & Novascotia this summer
« on: May 29, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »
Planning a trip this summer from Northern VA to Novascotia and Prince Edward Island this August.  Will be myself and a long time riding buddy. He on his FJR and me on the Norge.  I have 6-7 days for the trip..... Planning on 18-25 August.

Due to the sheer distance between VA & PEI, we want to do 12-13 hour days on each end, and 3-4 days in between.  Definitely plan to avoid the 95 Corridor as much as possible, but distance means super-slab is a reality for good portions of the trip.  My initial plan is:

Day 1- VA to Portland ME  VIA Frederick MD, Harrisburg PA, Scranton PA, Binghampton NY, Albany NY, (basically 81 to 88) Then pop across New Hampshire on 9 and 202 up into Portland on 202.

Day 2 - A Ferry to Yarmouth NS (9 hours)
Day 2 - B. Fastest Route to PEI (8 hours)

Day 3 - A - Ride/Explore NS working towards PEI (8 hours)
Day 3 - B - Ride/explore PEI working towards NS (8 hours)

Day 4 - A - Ride/explore PEI (8 hours)
Day 4 - B - Ride/Explore NS (8 hours)

Day 5 - A  - Ride from PEI to Quebec along the  north side of ST Lawrence Seaway (11 hrs)
Day 5 - B -  Ferry to Portland (9 hrs)

Day 6 - A - Stay on 40/401 from Quebec through Montreal, and cross into US at Selton, and drop down 81 Back Home. (12 hrs)
Day 6 - B - Portland to VA VIA same/similar route (12 Hrs)

I'm leaning towards Option A, and thinking that I need to add another day into the mix... I've always wanted to take that Portland Ferry, and also to ride along the ST Lawrence Seaway.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice..
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re: Virginia to PEI & Novascotia this summer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
Bulldog,
As I recall our last ride up to PEI that schedule sounds a bit aggressive for time.

By coincidence Sue and I are in Newfoundland right now so as soon as I can do some research on our last PEI trek I will let you know what we used for days out and distances covered.   
Keep in mind also that we Started in Maine.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »
that schedule sounds a bit aggressive for time.

Agreed..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »
     I have done basically what you're planning in two weeks starting from southern Connecticut. In my opinion you won't have time to see anything or relax.
     My son and I rode to Portland and picked up the ferry, easy ride no rush. Rode from Yarmouth to about the center of Cape Breton Island and it took about 8 or 9 hours the shortest route with only gas stops. Cabbot Trail takes about 6 hours to ride by itself. The Cabbot Trail was nice but in my opinion over rated. Yes there was some nice scenery but I think over the years it has become overgrown limiting shoreline views. It was our experience that in Nova Scotia you had to ride off the main roads down to the water and back to the main roads again, not many continuous scenic roads. Some of the side roads were in poor shape as well. We visited a fort and rode back to Yarmouth and spent a week, OK but not fantastic in both of our opinions.(I live in a shoreline town so might just be me.)
     The next year I took a trip by myself. Day 1 rode to northern New York just south of the border. Day 2 rode to Levi, all back roads and beautiful farms. Day 3 rode along St. Lawrence. Day 4 rode down through New Brunswick to PEI. Day 5 rode northwest end of PEI Day 6 rode New Brunswick from east to west to visit with relatives. Day 7 rode to Bar Harbor with a quick ride around Acadia. Day 8 rode home.
     Quebec and the shore of the St. Lawrence was gorgeous. Not religious but the churches are amazing. Be ware that almost everyone only speaks French in Quebec. Eastern New Brunswick countryside was beautiful as well. Camped at a beach side provincial park in PEI for $25.00 per night. Quite honestly I had to leave PEI because it was just too nice not to share the experience with someone else. (My wife and I went up with the cage and spent a week there last year) Fairly flat but really nice.
     I don't think you will have time to enjoy all that you are trying to ride. As you can tell from above I would forego Nova Scotia all together.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »
I rode from Portsmouth, Va to New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia...and back...in 2017.  We took about 2 weeks.  We avoided the Interstate as much as possible and had a wonderful time.  The trip is too nice to rush.  As an aside, we did not do the ferry from Portland.  First, you have to deal with the traffic on the east coast of Maine; then that ferry is really expensive and it drops one off at the southern end of NS.  That's great if you want to explore all of NS, not so great if you just want to hit the northern part of the province.  Our route was to go as far north in ME as possible, cross over into NB and then ride over to PEI.  Spend a day or two exploring PEI, then catch a ferry over to NS and ride Cape Brenton.  I thought Cape Brenton was OK but not special.  Then head south to Digby where you catch another ferry over to NB and then back to Maine.  In my mind it is much better to slow down a bit so you can explore.  If you find an interesting spot just spend the time needed to appreciate it...maybe spend an extra day.  When you are simply burning up the miles you may as well be doing an endless Interstate loop.   Oh, our trip was 4200 miles.
Photos here:  https://peteryoungblood.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-Trip/Walkabout-2017-to-Nova-Scotia-and-more

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 05:34:01 AM »
Doesn't sound like you're leaving any time to witness the tidal bore.  It's something that only happens in Fundy and you'd be missing something truly spectacular.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »
What everyone is saying. We loved Nova Scotia, btw.. it's a trip back in time to a slower pace. Of course we are lacking in seaside villages in Indiana  :grin: so loved them, too. Take your time and enjoy..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 07:31:59 AM »

Cabot Trail on the west coast of Cape Breton. (Anyone not impressed by this ride has not eaten their steel cut oats.)

I have made the trip by motorcycle from coastal Alabama to Nova Scotia and to Newfoundland several times.  1 week from Virginia will be tight but still allow a lot of sight-seeing as long as you don't eat up too much time on the way and coming back. 

The Original Poster's plans of taking the Interstate up and back is the same plan I used.  Going to Portland ME via Albany is maybe swinging kinda wide to the west.  I usually took 81 to Scranton and then cut over via Harford and then up to Portland.  The big thing is to avoid Bagdad on the Subway (NYC) where you can get snarled in traffic big time and heavily delayed.

Okay, now.  Some non-solicited backseat tour guide advice.  Southern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island are nice enough especially if you are not accustomed to coastal areas.  In my case, these areas look very much like where I live (except we have better beaches).  They are basically characterized by flat terrain.

Cape Breton, particularly the Cabot Trail, is like the Blue Ridge Parkway by the sea.  Dramatic views challenging roads constantly greet you. Many cultural and historic sites are always readily at hand.  I tended to forego PEI and head to the hills.

Now-again- when you have a little more time- if you ever get to North Sydney NS and take one of the ferries to Newfoundland, you will find scenery and experiences that blow everything else out of the water. Hence, my last several trips have been burning the wick hard all the way to the Newfoundland ferry.  I like to take the afternoon departure for eastern Newfoundland, sleep in a bunk overnight as the boat is still carrying me along and wake up to a great starting point in Argentia near St John's.

NL

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:59:31 AM by leafman60 »

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:04 AM »
The high points for me were Bay of Funday, Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail, Baddeck in Cape Breton, home of the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, (not just about the telephone), Halifax and the eastern coast of the southern island. PEI was OK but given the short time frame I would save that for another trip. I would suggest banzai-ing up 95 all the way to New Brunswick and cross by land. Circle NS clockwise and take the ferry back to Maine or further north into New Brunswick. If you still have a few days left take the most northerly road across Maine though the Rangeley Lakes (MA 4 or 16) across the top of New Hampshire (Dixville Notch) and Vermont to Rouses Pt, NY and then diagonally back through the Adirondaks to I-81. Other roads south of this route Like US2 are very slow and congested. Little traffic this far north and also very scenic.

Pete

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 07:43:06 AM »
The high points for me were Bay of Funday, Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail, Baddeck in Cape Breton, home of the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, (not just about the telephone), Halifax and the eastern coast of the southern island. PEI was OK but given the short time frame I would save that for another trip. I would suggest banzai-ing up 95 all the way to New Brunswick and cross by land. Circle NS clockwise and take the ferry back to Maine or further north into New Brunswick. If you still have a few days left take the most northerly road across Maine though the Rangeley Lakes (MA 4 or 16) across the top of New Hampshire (Dixville Notch) and Vermont to Rouses Pt, NY and then diagonally back through the Adirondaks to I-81. Other roads south of this route Like US2 are very slow and congested. Little traffic this far north and also very scenic.

Pete

A big DITTO for that- especially if you want to take the inland route to Canada.  I normally veer off 95 at Bangor and cross into NB at Calais (St. Stephen)

Offline MarkPell

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 07:56:39 AM »
A big DITTO for that- especially if you want to take the inland route to Canada.  I normally veer off 95 at Bangor and cross into NB at Calais (St. Stephen)

I did Nova Scotia years ago with my better half on a Harley Low Rider (ouch!!) leaving from Mass. on a 7 day trip and we vacation every summer in PEI.
As others have said, that is very aggressive and I really don't think you will give yourselves much of an opportunity to appreciate either island.

I would suggest focusing on one island only. Nova Scotia is HUGE and we had long days in the saddle to get to from Yarmouth to eventually the Cabot Trail and back to Yarmouth to catch the ferry back to Bar Harbor Me.  PEI is gorgeous and really deserves a trip on its own imho.
Mark

2000 Kawasaki W650
1983 Lemans III
2019 Road Glide
2006 FJR1300
2007 Rokon Scout
1971 Bultaco Alpina
1971 Rupp Roadster
2006 Aprilia Mojito 150
2010 Vespa 150

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »
I realized not everyone is not retired and limited on time and that’s a lot of miles per day. I hope you guys still get to enjoy a lot of beautiful scenery.  Be safe and enjoy your time.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 04:22:59 AM »
I agree with Lannis on taking 81.  It may look longer on a map but it's actually quicker.  Just be aware it's the main truck route.  I'd also suggest riding up rt. 100 and rt. 7 along the VT/NY border.  It's beautiful and Lake Champlain in the summer is nice.  The Middlebury and Appalachian Gap are well worth a couple hours.  Then ride route 2 or 3/302 across VT and NH to catch the Franconia, Crawford and Bear notch/gap rides and the White Mtns.  Hit the Kancamangus and take the northern route across Maine over Rangely Lake.  Riding through New England and not catching the White Mtn's seems....silly.  The coastal Maine route is absolutely miserable in the summer.  It's fine in a Miata or other convertible but nothing but stop and go traffic all the way to Bar Harbor.  If you want to make time and get to Portland after the Whit Mtn's you can hammer down 89 and take 101 to 95 and on to Portland.  Be careful of the Maine State Troopers patrolling 95 in several baby blue Mustangs.  Many have learned the hard way that you aren't going to outpace them. 

Nova Scotia is beautiful but so is most of the Gaspe Peninsula.  As others have said, your timeline is pretty aggressive.  Really aggressive and a couple days of rain and fog would mean you wouldn't see much along the coast.         

Offline zokn

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 06:50:44 AM »
Hi Bulldog. You're a tougher rider than me! 8+ hours in the saddle is not what I call fun or a vacation. I've had long days, when I've had to, but I can't say I ever enjoyed it or had any experience of where I was other than just passing through, staring at the road ahead, and being stressed about the miles and hours yet to go.

Lots of riders visit Nova Scotia. They ride through in a day, see nothing, report on how boring it is, make it to Meat Cove on the Cabot Trail and tic off one more bucket list item. If that's your goal - to make it to PEI and NS and say you did it, then your plan is on the mark. Go for it.

But if you want to "see" PEI or NS, experience rather than endure, relax and enjoy your ride and visit, you may want to revisit your plans.

I live 22 miles from downtown Halifax. It takes me a day to get to Yarmouth because I take the secondary roads, doddle along stopping for photos, coffee, and whatever. If I'm traveling to New England or Quebec, I'll take a day to get into southern New Brunswick, usually camping that night at TNT Camping. A trip across the North Shore, from Canso to the Amherst Shore provincial Park for camping can also take me a whole day of twisty secondary roads and diversions. If I riding in New England or elsewhere far from home, I do the same. Only when I must, just like your first and last day of this proposed trip, do I hit the highway, but I truly do not enjoy that.

I would lower your expectation of how much ground you will cover - unless maximizing distance is your goal. So, explore more by traveling less. My Home to Yarmouth trip shows 5 hours, but, like I said, takes me a day. Same for the Canso to Amherst Shore. Home to TNT is mapped at 6 hours, but again takes a full day with stops for photos, food, gas, and stretches. (I'm usually traveling with my wife two-up as well.)

However you decide to organize and execute your trip, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Stephen

Nova Scotia, Canada

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
1975 BMW R90/6 (sold)

Previously: several BSAs, Lambretta 150 with a Bambino sidecar, 1978 Honda 550, 1985 BMW K100RT, 1996 Ducati Multistrada

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 01:07:04 PM »
Thanks for all the valuable feedback guys... Why I posted it here, knew there'd be lots of wisdom. MTF
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline BOAT

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 06:37:20 AM »
I too live in Nova Scotia-Broad Cove (16 miles west of Bridgewater on coast rd 331). Although much good advice has been posted by the Wise Guzzi's I will add a few more suggestions:
1) consider the "secret" delight of visiting and staying in Advocate Harbor (90 miles west of Truro, NS). Truly spectacular
coastal scenery on a par with Cape Breton, fewer tourists, cheaper prices, ect.) The road to Parrsboro is faster than most, but after that the road to Advocate Harbor is 5 star motorcycle fun. Then continue on to scenic Pugwash and Tatamagouche and PEI.
2)In NS always avoid the interior roads as much as possible if you want to enjoy the province's delights. Slower, winding roads with many opportunities to pull over and soak it up or rip-off some pix. Little traffic, as well.
3)The ride through New Brunswick to or from NS, passing through Calais, ME, is fast and seriously beautiful. The ferries are overpriced and you must accommodate their schedule with yours. actually making my suggested access to NS faster. The ride east from Yarmouth does not score very high on the scenery.

If you should like to drop by and bunk down, or need assistance please come to my house in Broad Cove. Phone 902-935-2083.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 06:42:35 AM »
Adding more- 

You will likely go through the town of Truro, Nova Scotia which is in an area, along with Advocate Harbor, where you can witness the tremendous incoming tide from the Bay of Fundy.  They term these areas a Tidal Bore.  I highly recommend stopping by the Tidal Bore at Truro or seek out one of the other viewing sites in that general area.

https://www.truro.ca/living-in-truro/the-tidal-bore.html

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here