Author Topic: Has anyone had this happen?  (Read 4683 times)

Offline cubswin

• New Egg
Re: Has anyone had this happen?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »
Fork plate and rear brake lever?   What would any of that have to do with the fork lock?  If you don't have a warranty on it, call Rosefarm Classics in Woodstock ask if they can look at it, they Will know how to fix it!
Thanks for the guidance. Motoworks actually has a mechanic onsite that used to work at either the dealer in Woodstock or at St Charles (he told me but I can't remember). He thinks he actually worked on my bike out there as the service code he entered for the keys was one he used to use.

The rear brake lever was bent when the bike went down, so that has to be replaced. There were several parts they listed that needed to be replaced tied to the locking mechanism and the forks. They said things were either broken or bent based on this or an earlier fall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
I have been thinking about this since I use the fork lock on one of my bikes....

When YOU use the fork lock, with the forks turned, do YOU just turn the key hard to get it to lock? Or do you firmly but gently turn the key and move the bars a little to center the lock pin to the hole? I don't know for sure it's a pin and a hole, but you get the idea.

I ask because some bikes may want the forks on the fork stop for the pin to engage, but two of my bikes want to be just off the fork stop. If it's against the stop, there is almost not way to get the lock to work.

Just a thought,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline cubswin

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
I have been thinking about this since I use the fork lock on one of my bikes....

When YOU use the fork lock, with the forks turned, do YOU just turn the key hard to get it to lock? Or do you firmly but gently turn the key and move the bars a little to center the lock pin to the hole? I don't know for sure it's a pin and a hole, but you get the idea.

I ask because some bikes may want the forks on the fork stop for the pin to engage, but two of my bikes want to be just off the fork stop. If it's against the stop, there is almost not way to get the lock to work.

Just a thought,
Tom
Seems like it was really easy to engage the fork lock when I got it a couple of months ago, then it got progressively more difficult to turn the key. I had to wiggle the handlebars to get it to engage. Then, it didn't want to disengage.

Offline cubswin

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 05:46:13 PM »
So it's the end of the story. Progressive just totaled it. Almost $8k in damage including parts that needed to be replaced purely for cosmetic reasons. They suspect that the bike may have gone down before I owned it since some parts in the front were bent. Unfortunately, they still don't know why the front fork lock engaged.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 05:46:13 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here