Author Topic: Re Paint protection matt/satin finish  (Read 2331 times)

philip15

Re Paint protection matt/satin finish
« on: April 26, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »
Hi Everyone im new to this forum, just purchased a Bellagio in what i can describe as quite a Matt looking black with some speckles running through it.
My question to you all is what is the best thing to do with the paintwork, as i am presuming that polish will alter the look of the paintwork(make it too shiny)
is there some special matt/satin polish protectant, also i have a few faint marks on it and would like to buff them out what would i use for that?

i am use to standard polishes and T/cut etc so this kind of finish is new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Phil :)

canuguzzi

Re: Re Paint protection matt/satin finish
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
Welcome.

Buffing and matte finishes are incompatible with each other.

When it comes to protecting it, anything that leaves a residue, even if worked in to where you can't see it is going to start making it shiny.

If the paint is really well done you can use Windex electronic device cleaner/protector on it. It won't make it glossy and won't build up thereby doing the same the more you use it. It is harmless to plastics, glass, rubber and most painted surfaces but as usual, test before spraying it all over the place.

It isn't going to protect like a wax but then not much else does either. It will collect less dust and grit and what does get on it can easily be wiped off with a damp soft cloth like a micro-fiber.

philip15

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
Its a Standard Guzzi Bellagio colour one of the most common i think? like anything else there are going to be faint scratches etc but would like to get them out also or put something on them to hide the marks, ;)

lucydad

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »
Phil,

My new Triumph has matt silver/red colors.  Many use windex to clean, but the non-ammonia version (clear liquid).  HD dealers stock a special cleaner/protectant, and I saw some also at my mega-motorcycle super store.  Love the matt finish, its different...and I just cleaned bugs off my bike with the windex.  Don't use regular wax...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:43:27 PM »
  Welcome philip15, All new matte/satin Factory finishes are matte clear coat. You can use regular car wash soaps to clean them but to protect them you need matte specifiic liquid protectant.This wont fill in like waxes do and will keep UV's out. Dr.Beasleys and several others make this stuff. :bike

Paul B :BEER:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
Matte?

Real men buy motorcycles with real paint.

As in shiny.

And, of course, only in red.

;D

Bill

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 05:42:43 PM »
Harley sells a spray cleaner for their matte finish bikes.

But it's not a protector, as they claim the finish is supposed to weather and not look perfect.

Not sure what MG recommends, but anything like a quick detailer or Pledge will alter the finish and make it look shiny.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Penderic

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 06:16:32 PM »
Yes there are wash and detail sealants that are available specifically for matte and plastic dip coated parts....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yso4JmO55Dg

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 06:22:06 PM by Penderic »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here