Author Topic: V100 Mandello Clutch feel  (Read 632 times)

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
V100 Mandello Clutch feel
« on: April 10, 2024, 08:36:10 PM »
I just bought a slightly used V100s today. There is definitely a pronounced pulsation that's felt through the clutch lever. I contacted the MG dealer where I bought it and was told that it's normal. Some do it more than others. As today was the first time I've ever ridden a V100, I have no idea if it's normal, except for what the dealer says. Anyone else have the issue???

I've owned many motorcycles over the last 45 years and most have had a wet clutch. This is the first time I've ever felt a pulsation through the clutch lever.
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
2019 Suzuki Vstrom 650XT Touring
2017 Honda African Twin DCT
2014 BMW F800GT
1972 Eldorado. Which someday I will restore.

Moto Guzzis now gone but not forgotten
2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V100 Mandello Clutch feel
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 03:26:14 AM »
I just bought a slightly used V100s today. There is definitely a pronounced pulsation that's felt through the clutch lever. I contacted the MG dealer where I bought it and was told that it's normal. Some do it more than others. As today was the first time I've ever ridden a V100, I have no idea if it's normal, except for what the dealer says. Anyone else have the issue???

I've owned many motorcycles over the last 45 years and most have had a wet clutch. This is the first time I've ever felt a pulsation through the clutch lever.
Jeeezzzzarse…….! :angry:
I suppose I should ask, is the rate of pulsation at the same rate as the clutch is spinning ?
If it is, it may suggest some axial runout in the clutch.
If not, you’d have to expect a harmonic vibration of sorts.
Does the pulsation diminish when you let the clutch get close to total engagement ?
Does it only occur when the clutch is being slipped ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 09:56:57 PM by Huzo »

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 11:04:01 AM »
The clutch lever on my V100 is smooth throughout its range. One of the Harleys I owned would pulsate when the freeplay was taken up. I got it new so it wasn't from abuse etc.  Never became an issue in the 13,000 miles I owned it.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 08:43:45 PM »
Jeeezzzzarse…….! :angry:
I suppose I should ask, is the rate of pulsation at the same rate as the clutch is spinning ?
If it is, it may suggest some axial runout in the clutch.
If not, you’d have to expect a harmonic vibration of sorts.
Does the pulsation diminish when you let the clutch get close to total engagement ?
Does it only occur when the clutch is being slipped ?
The pulsation is at the same rate as the spinning clutch.
It is most pronounced with the lever pulled to the grip, or close to it, when I'm stopped.
If I'm doing 40-50 MPH and pull in the clutch, there is no pulsation as I'm rolling along.
The pulsation stops as I let out the clutch and start moving forward.
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2014 BMW F800GT

2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 08:43:45 PM »

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 09:33:12 PM »
Moparnut72,

My HD clutch also pulses at idle when you just rest your fingers on the lever. Just figured that the vibration/rocking of the engine is causing it, making the cable move.

Guzzi, never had that feel with any of them.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 10:03:24 PM »
The pulsation is at the same rate as the spinning clutch.
It is most pronounced with the lever pulled to the grip, or close to it, when I'm stopped.
If I'm doing 40-50 MPH and pull in the clutch, there is no pulsation as I'm rolling along.
The pulsation stops as I let out the clutch and start moving forward.
Okay, it sounds like the springs are not separating the clutch evenly, causing the friction plate to be not parallel with the pressure plate. Thus the throbbing when spinning. If you can feel the pulsing through the lever, there must be some axial play present which is feeding up the line to the handle.
The fact that the problem goes away when the clutch is “home” is significant, because it suggests the misalignment is not present when compressed and the pushrod (or whatever), is free of the clutch body.
I’d have the cover off and check the function of the clutch when activated, bugger the warranty.

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 10:57:40 PM »
Luckily it appears that it isn't too difficult to get at the clutch with the engine still in the frame, unlike Guzzis of the past. I've ordered a few clutch parts from AF-1 and once they arrive I'll dive into it. Bike only has just over 3,000 miles, of which about 400 miles I put on it.

Whether by accident or by design it appears this new Guzzi engine has easy access to many of the engine's sub-components, such as the water pump, clutch, alternator and starter. On the down side it appears this engine will be expensive to maintain. Example, the air filter is $70 and according to the manual gets replaced every 7,500 miles. AF-1 sells the 14,900 mile service kit for $420,,,,,,ouch!! I can only imagine what it would cost to have the dealer service the bike, parts+labor+KY Jelly. :undecided:

I'll be doing all my own maintenance, but I still need to buy the parts which aint cheap like they are with the V85tt.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:24:17 PM by azccj »
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2014 BMW F800GT

2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 01:53:44 AM »
Luckily it appears that it isn't too difficult to get at the clutch with the engine still in the frame, unlike Guzzis of the past. I've ordered a few clutch parts from AF-1 and once they arrive I'll dive into it. Bike only has just over 3,000 miles,  :wink: :wink: :wink:of which about 400 miles I put on it.

Whether by accident or by design it appears this new Guzzi engine has easy access to many of the engine's sub-components, such as the water pump, clutch, alternator and starter. On the down side it appears this engine will be expensive to maintain. Example, the air filter is $70 and according to the manual gets replaced every 7,500 miles. AF-1 sells the 14,900 mile service kit for $420,,,,,,ouch!! I can only imagine what it would cost to have the dealer service the bike, parts+labor+KY Jelly. :undecided:

I'll be doing all my own maintenance, but I still need to buy the parts which aint cheap like they are with the V85tt.
I’d skimp on the KY and just practice my smile… :wink:

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 08:34:33 AM »
Moparnut72,

My HD clutch also pulses at idle when you just rest your fingers on the lever. Just figured that the vibration/rocking of the engine is causing it, making the cable move.

Guzzi, never had that feel with any of them.

Tom

Mine was a Softail with a solidly mounted engine. In fact I had two Softails, my 2006 didn't do it but the 2017 did. The 2017 wasn't near the bike the 2006 was. Unfortunately the 2006 was destroyed in a garage fire. I still miss that bike.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline gwensp

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 04:27:13 AM »
Ive not noticed any pulsing on the clutch on mine at 16000 miles.

Agree about service costs it is £70 over here (UK) for the air filters and the 5 litres of oil is about £60. Oh and changing the alternator belt at 15000 is a pain requiring body work off and tank off.  Checking the valves (not reshimming) is also a complete faddle, the outer exhaust valves are easy to check but the front intake is a complete nightmare to check, you need an extra wrist and eyes on stalks to see what you are doing.
"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission" Rear Admiral Grace Hopper USN
GwenSP
2022 V100S Mandello
2021 V7 850 Stone
83 Spada NT

Cardiff/Caerdydd
Wales/Cymru

Offline DistriroF

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 11:44:07 AM »

Hi AZCCJ. 

Service Bulletin  PSB71---V100 Clutch Actuatot Seals.

I have no idea if this has anything to do c your problem but....

Good luck

Stay Out of Town

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here