Author Topic: Drifting off…  (Read 2609 times)

Offline 73 sport

• Hatchling
Re: Drifting off…
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2023, 06:02:47 PM »
   The title is interesting.The subject is disappointing. I was hoping for something on extreme cornering.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2023, 06:20:26 PM »
How is that relevant here?
Everything is relevant in a thread about thread drift.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2023, 06:24:34 PM »
   The title is interesting.The subject is disappointing. I was hoping for something on extreme cornering.
Well mate don’t hope, start one.
As that great philosopher Ozzie Osborne once said…
“Take a far in dump in one hand and hope in the other, then see which one fills up first…”
But while I have you here…
This thread is to investigate the mechanics of thread drift, so to that end, what would you like to know about extreme cornering ?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 06:29:56 PM by Huzo »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2023, 06:35:22 PM »
Everything is relevant in a thread about thread drift.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2023, 06:35:22 PM »

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2023, 06:36:23 PM »
How is that relevant here?

Relevant is subjective, sometimes relative, but never objective.   :wink:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline 73 sport

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2023, 06:37:08 PM »
    Been there, done that six decades ago. I was expecting a younger persons experience on contemporary rubber and suspensions.

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2023, 06:38:30 PM »

This could be the greatest thread of all time to tap into the awesome brain trust/think tank that is Wild Guzzi without getting limited by topic, accuracy, or facts!

Could be a wild ride.

Saddle up!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2023, 09:02:17 PM »
Well, it’s time to drag special relativity into this. Think about possible futures for a moment. If you are standing still, your possible futures are all around you, 360 degrees. Take a step and your possible future is influenced to be in that direction. As you go faster, your possible future becomes increasingly limited to that direction. As you approach the speed of light, deviation from that line become almost impossible and we get the curiosity of thread drift.
Winter gets long in the frozen hemisphere.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline 73 sport

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2023, 09:26:03 PM »
   John A. Either your post is extremely philosophically deep and I don't understand a word or the cold up there has congealed your gray matter. When I think of "drift" I think of high speed cornering or ocean currents. The word "drift" in these postings is used as a substitute for "getting off subject".

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2023, 11:59:45 PM »
Well, it’s time to drag special relativity into this. Think about possible futures for a moment. If you are standing still, your possible futures are all around you, 360 degrees. Take a step and your possible future is influenced to be in that direction. As you go faster, your possible future becomes increasingly limited to that direction. As you approach the speed of light, deviation from that line become almost impossible and we get the curiosity of thread drift.
Yes.
I have long thought this is also true when on the bike. At very low speeds, you can be hit by many things that appear from the side..(Deer, rabbits, kangaroos, vehicles etc…)
But as you go faster, the chance of hitting something from the side becomes less, because anything that darts out from the side will not intersect your position before you have passed. It’s kind of like a triangle in front of you in the horizontal plane, with the apex at your front wheel and the base in the distance.
Your future lies in this triangle.
As you speed up, the base gets further away it also gets shorter, until at extreme speeds almost nothing can get you unless it’s virtually dead ahead.
It will end up being a straight line of diminishing width at the extreme.
Imagine moving down the road at 1000 km/h. It becomes almost impossible to be hit from the side, but equally impossible to miss anything that is on a collision course.
When you look at the road as you accelerate, this can be seen as the edges begin to blur at the point of expansion.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 12:00:44 AM by Huzo »

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2023, 07:26:03 AM »
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2023, 07:41:34 AM »
   John A. Either your post is extremely philosophically deep and I don't understand a word or the cold up there has congealed your gray matter. When I think of "drift" I think of high speed cornering or ocean currents. The word "drift" in these postings is used as a substitute for "getting off subject".
”Drift” is a motion experienced when the subject of that drift is being carried in the same direction as and with the same velocity, as the supporting medium.
In an aeroplane it’s the moving atmosphere (wind).
In a boat it’s the moving water mass (current)
Here at WG it’s the tide of popular or dominant mainstream opinion.

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2023, 07:51:51 AM »

Yes.
I have long thought this is also true when on the bike. At very low speeds, you can be hit by many things that appear from the side..(Deer, rabbits, kangaroos, vehicles etc…)
But as you go faster, the chance of hitting something from the side becomes less, because anything that darts out from the side will not intersect your position before you have passed. It’s kind of like a triangle in front of you in the horizontal plane, with the apex at your front wheel and the base in the distance.
Your future lies in this triangle.
As you speed up, the base gets further away it also gets shorter, until at extreme speeds almost nothing can get you unless it’s virtually dead ahead.
It will end up being a straight line of diminishing width at the extreme.
Imagine moving down the road at 1000 km/h. It becomes almost impossible to be hit from the side, but equally impossible to miss anything that is on a collision course.
When you look at the road as you accelerate, this can be seen as the edges begin to blur at the point of expansion.

See, if more people spent their living carving stone like me, things like this ^^^ wouldn’t seem so heady or esoteric.  It would just be the normal thing you do, day in day out.  In order to reach the proper point of the proper triangle, You always think about it because you always have to address it, deliberately and without mistake.

When you do it in the frozen world of VT in deep winter, you perceive ever more deeply.  Doing a big stone, when the whole world is frozen just as solid… very cool.  No pun intended.

It’s much more laid back out here in the real world.  Winter mud isn’t quite as inspirational.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:52:37 AM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2023, 08:21:20 AM »
Who is Ken Block?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2023, 09:51:42 AM »
20 years ago when I first found a Guzzi in boxes, I started the search for resources.  Finding that there was a MGNOC, a blog called WildGuzzi and Guzziology. 

I start reading post and find that these Guzzi Owners like eating, drinking, smoking, riding, fixing, arguing, camping and prefer corn oil in their rear end.  I was kinda reluctant to tag along with such a strange group of motorcycle enthusiast. The topic of camping and corn oil kept coming to the top on WildGuzzi.  I was invited to the Kentucky Rally camp out.  Showing up on the bike in the box, I did not know what to expect.  Setting my tent up far from the other campers in hopes that some cigar smoking Guzzista did not stumble to my tent with a bottle of corn oil. 

It was a slow progression into the Guzzi addiction.  Reaching the point that I decide to build my own Guzzi based on what I felt like is the best fit and style for me and the best of Guzzi parts.  I filtered 5 Guzzi's through the Man Cave since the first. 

In the end, it turned out to be a great week end and opportunity to meet many very good people. 

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2023, 12:16:55 PM »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2023, 12:24:53 PM »
Where's Waldo?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:23:42 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2023, 12:38:06 PM »

It’s the congealment, I assure you  :grin:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2023, 08:48:03 AM »
The Jay Leno thread was a typical example of drift.

It went from Jay getting clotheslined, to tales of posters getting clotheslined, to poster's opinions of the opinions posted previously by other posters at the drop of a hat!!!

A wonderful thing IMO, as long as none of us takes our own BS or perspectives tooooooo seriously.

I can't even remember 10% of the stories of me or my riding buddies falling off our motorcycles until I get together with riding buddies and we start BSing......

As long as no one gets killed, and the victim gets back on the "horse," the stories always turn humorous with time.  I suspect seeing the humor in a "tragedy" one's peers survives is a tribal cultural bonding ritual.  Maybe even keyed to survival of the fittest or honoring the bravest among us.

Is this a male character defect or a character defect of motorcyclists, aka "risk takers?"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 08:52:37 AM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2023, 10:13:10 AM »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2023, 11:04:58 AM »
What's wrong with Shinko tires and a throttle lock?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2023, 11:10:04 AM »
 :wink: :rolleyes: :whip2: :popcorn:
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2023, 02:23:45 PM »
What's wrong with Shinko tires and a throttle lock?
Nothing.
As long as you don’t put them on your bike.

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2023, 05:42:57 PM »
Nothing.
As long as you don’t put them on your bike.

Could you be more specific, as to your negativity towards the Shinko brand?
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2023, 07:34:54 PM »
I'm curious about the Shinko negativity as well. They make so many tires of various quality and intended use that it's interesting that there's negativity toward the brand rather than a specific tire model. Some of their lineup even consists of designs/molds purchased off other brands.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2023, 07:55:36 PM »
Could you be more specific, as to your negativity towards the Shinko brand?
Probably not, because I will be accused of bias against them due to their country of origin.
I cannot say that this is untrue, I may very well hold some reservations due to that alone, but it is not a function of the populous, more of deep seated prejudices against tyres that are not European or British.
Although having seen some of the reports on their poor(er) longevity, I’d like to think my disdain for them is based on something more centred around that.
Something I am sure of, is when I’m coming down a mountain road in the rain with leaves on the ground and am about to tip into a corner, only to realise that I have messed it up and am committed….
If the last thing I think of is not MICHELIN…MICHELIN…MICHELIN
But.
SHINKO…SHINKO…SHINKO
Then my lack of faith will cause ME to make an error for fear of losing control and I’ll probably crash anyway…
That would not be the fault of the tyre, but mine alone.
However.
I know that I just “feel” better on Michelins and I’ve never gotten less than 18,000 km and on one occasion 22,000 km from Pilot #3’s #4’s #5’s and #6’s.
I just cannot think of a reason to change.

Oh….and throttle locks ?
We all say that we only use them on long straight stretches where everything is safe and you can see over the curve of the Earth….blah blah blah…
But ONE DAY..!
You’re going to have the motherless thing clamped on, having had to disconnect it already 50 times and you’ll approach a nice…sweeping…right hand bend… :popcorn:
You feel the need to release it just to have command of the throttle, but you can see everything that matters and all is ok..
You’re almost home… :rolleyes:
Then half way ‘round the bend out from the right comes Old Mate on his John Deere and you’ve to INSTANTLY…! Get off the gas..
You WILL NOT release it quickly enough and if you’re lucky, (very lucky)…You might get the clutch in and wobble past him on the (for you in US) left, wildly off line and run off or have a head on with an approaching car.
We all know the time interval between a nicely judged entry into a corner and a complete train wreck.
Some part of a second…!
Farting around with an abomination like that…?
No thanks.
Plus they look like some aid from a nursing home.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 03:37:07 PM by Huzo »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2023, 08:03:59 PM »

I always drift off after 2 of these
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 08:05:19 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2023, 08:09:42 PM »

I always drift off after 2 of these

I'm a beer, bourbon, oil, and tire snob..... Only set of Shinkos are the 705s on The Stornello. They are good for the price... Otherwise it is Dunlop Contis Michelin and Sometimes Metzler.... I do like Falkens on my four wheeled vehicles, but no Kendas or other no namers
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2023, 08:17:05 PM »
So the new V100 should be in Australia soon. :thumb:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here