Author Topic: Breva 750 side stand - what gives?  (Read 693 times)

Online Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
Breva 750 side stand - what gives?
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:29:50 PM »
I switched out the Mistral pipes that I had on my Breva for the stockers to see if that would cure my popping on decel (which it did) and ran into an unanticipated problem.
I rode it to work yesterday morning and upon arrival, I could not reach the side stand tang as it was under the muffler heat shield.  Had to roll the bike up to a wall and prop it up so I could lower the stand enough by hand and then put it down with my foot.  I fashioned an extension to the tang on the stand so it is now functional, but why?  As near as I can tell, the stand is stock and not bent so why does it not function correctly?  Is there a missing stop on the frame that allows the stand to retract too far?

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
Re: Breva 750 side stand - what gives?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:39:19 PM »
Dharma,

This is the first I've heard of this, but I've heard of people adding extensions to the stand lever, to allow your foot to get better purchase.
That might be your answer.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online hzbloke

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:20 PM »
G'day Dharma,

You haven't put the bracket on the muffler on the wrong side of the mounting lug have you? The bracket goes to the inside (wheel side) of the lug. Putting it on the outside will move the whole thing over a good inch and hide the tang on the sidestand. An extension on the sidestand is a good idea anyway. I'm pleased that the previous owner put one on mine.

2019 Kawasaki Z900rs
2008 Breva 750
1986 BMW R65

Online Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »
Well, yes i did mount the mufflers on the outside.  You guys are the best!  Thanks!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:59:53 PM »
The side stands on the Breva & earlier V7s have this piece of bent wire that curls around the muffler. It was always difficult to get a good foot on it. I used a bolt, nut & washers on the tip, so the boot could catch it easily - see photo.
When my cousin, a UJM rider, borrowed the Special, his heavy foot ended up breaking the wire off at its base. It help to keep the pivot lubed - the Breva manual specifies the grease to be used - I refresh the lube whenever the sidestand starts to get harder to get down - I found chain wax works well enough to avoid taking off the muffler to get to the pivot bolt.

Popping on over run on the Mistrals? I'd try Beetle's map for the 15RC ECU (V7 Classic, Cafe Classic & Breva 750) -it's a free download on GRiSO.org. Be sure to read & follow the instructions, too. It works really well on the Agostinis (with the bigger Agostini headers) - almost no popping, only the occasional muted phhhff, a little less well on the Staintunes, but still good (& even better if you haven't lost a hidden exhaust stud). If still not satisfactory, Beetle could possibly refine it further - I don't think the 15RC is as messy as the MUIG3 on the 1TB versions. Usually, it just requires a hard reset & a few hundred kms to adjust to a new pipe.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here