Author Topic: Tundra Factory Tour  (Read 8742 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tundra Factory Tour
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 10:18:00 PM »
Some of this thread cracks me up...... guys puffing up on superiority of American Trucks based on sales.  LOL go buy a Honda Shadow if thats how you measure ;-) 

I think for the most part, the reliability of full size pickups is pretty equal, particularly the GM and Ford, and Chrysler is making progress. I had narrowed it down to one model of GM and Ram, didn't like the Ford at all. It was going to be a Chevy 2500HD or Ram 2500 with blackout kit, the Sierra AT4. Sierra was in the lead till a buddy had me look at the Tundra. The only model I would have bought is what I bought, a Double Cab Cement TRD PRO.  If they didn't have that exact truck, I'd be driving a Sierra.  I diddnt like the ginormous chrome grill, and basic styling of the Tundra, and the standard ride was too stiff and jarring. This color, blackout paint scheme, body colored bumpers (and what a color) 2" factory lift and special shocks/springs with a factory dual exhaust was the perfect combination. Less important, the seats are black leather set off with red stitching. Not that important, spot on for me. Glad I found it, as I think the 2019 model has terrible color options and the goofy hood bulge looks tacky. But hey, No criticism, I got what I wanted, and if anyone likes or doesn't, no skin off my nose. Be happy with what you have!

I'm buy no means a fanboy, and not only is this my first Toyota, but my first truck, though my wife had a little Toyota pickup when we got married, but I made her trade it for a 1st GEN VW GTI, and I sold my Cutlass. I really like the Tundra, has all I want, and nothing I dont. I added heated seats front and back row, and have 30K on it, averaging 17MPG for my 100 mile round trip commute.  Plan to keep it till I cant drive.

My dad always had a truck, over a 40 year period, had 3 Chevy Silverados, my Uncles both are Horsemen, and have Big 4 door Duallys, some Ford, Some Chevy, and one has a Ram Farrier Rig with custom cap. All have been mostly reliable 200K mile plus vehicles, though the Ram transmission $h!t$ the bed every 75K.  I dont ding it, it is what it is.

It is funny though to see niche brand motorcyclists bash niche brand trucks......

So, why were you looking at 3/4 ton trucks and then ended up buying a 1/2 ton? 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 12:26:52 AM »
not only is this my first Toyota, but my first truck, 

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 06:28:49 AM »

So what! What does it matter if he was looking at 5 ton stake body trucks and ended up with 1/2 ton or a car.  Nowhere did he say he needed a 3/4 ton truck only that that what he was looking at. Why do you care if people buy trucks and never even use the bed. Or make comments that you can tell the truck that have never had a reveicer in them. Like that make it any less of a truck.

Rocker post of "there ya go" is also assinine. Insuinuatign that Bulldog9 went in undereducaed and that why he got suckered into a Toyota.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »
So what! What does it matter if he was looking at 5 ton stake body trucks and ended up with 1/2 ton or a car.  Nowhere did he say he needed a 3/4 ton truck only that that what he was looking at. Why do you care if people buy trucks and never even use the bed. Or make comments that you can tell the truck that have never had a reveicer in them. Like that make it any less of a truck.

Rocker post of "there ya go" is also assinine. Insuinuatign that Bulldog9 went in undereducaed and that why he got suckered into a Toyota.

Wow, don't take it personal, it's only trucks  :grin:

Some of us look at trucks as a tool .......I will say this, the  majority of full sized trucks are used like a car...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 07:52:15 AM »

Why do you care so much about what I post Perazzimx14?   :blank:

I am just tying to figure out why someone would look at 3/4 ton trucks if they don't need one.  They are rough riding when they don't have a load compared to the 1/2 ton trucks.  They are more expensive than 1/2 ton trucks.  First world problem I guess. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »
I looked at a variety of trucks over about 5 years. The final three were about a combination of capabilities and options but most importantly what suited my particular taste. The advantage of a 3/4 ton truck is obvious if I wanted a huge fifth wheel trailer, or a large bed camper the 2500 could handle it.

In the end, it was the price that turned me away from the 2500 series trucks.  If money was no option I probably would have ended up with a power wagon, or the Silverado HD with the Duramax and black out package oh, but those trucks were over $65,000 and beyond my willingness to spend. As I said, I had pretty much decided on the GMC Sierra AT4 which is a package on the 1500 series truck. That was primarily due to things like drivability, ride quality, and several other things. I was not surprised with how poorly the Ram 2500 rode and drove, but the Silverado HD 2500 with the Duramax was every bit as comfortable as many other trucks. The variety and options in full size pickup trucks is astounding. Heck, if Jeep had its new gladiator on the market, I would have given that strong consideration, and as soon as they get past the first model year I may drive one and reconsider.

Did I buy because I needed? No, and in the five years I was weighing my options, I considered everything from a Range Rover,  Cayenne, to a new Grand Cherokee (have been driving a Jeep since 1984) to a Suburban,  and even considered buying a sport sedan or coupe and keeping my Jeep for the towing and other needs I had. But I also knew that a truck what expand my options and give me the convenience of not having to borrow someone's truck when I needed it.

In the end, it was about what I wanted and the options and possibilities.  I'm not a tradesman, and like most people my decisions were based on lifestyle choices. I would have been completely happy and satisfied with any of the final choices, but in the TRD Pro package of the tundra I got everything I wanted for looks style performance capabilities but most importantly the Tundra was $43,000 out the door for a brand new truck. That extra $15,000 was far better served in my pocket. The bonus, is that I ended up with a truck that hit every single checkbox I had, and I love it.

That said, the tundra is extremely overbuilt, and if Toyota decided to do a full box frame they could easily offer an HD variant of the Tundra just by upgrading the frame and spring rates. it also helped that at the time the tundra had far more us content than many of the American truck offerings. I think the most recent iteration of the Ford f150 has more U.S. content.

Reliability was a factor, but in my opinion for most full size truck sold in the United States, it's almost an equal wash.

one of the most interesting things for me and transitioning to a truck as my primary vehicle, is I've joined several truck forums. Wow forums always have people with strong opinions and contentiousness, I've been surprised to see what absolute asshats most people become when they discuss truck. Some of the tone of this thread seems to bear this out.

Some of you guys need to chill

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:26:13 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 10:31:55 AM »
Why do you care so much about what I post Perazzimx14?   :blank:

I am just tying to figure out why someone would look at 3/4 ton trucks if they don't need one.  They are rough riding when they don't have a load compared to the 1/2 ton trucks.  They are more expensive than 1/2 ton trucks.  First world problem I guess.

Why are you so worried about what others buy or how they use it.

Hell my buddy years ago bought a 4 door 4 x 4 F350 power stroke diesel with an 8 foot bed with a fancy burle wood dash, leather seats and every other bell and whislte that could be had. It was his daily driver. He owned a restaurant and lived above the restaurant. He didn't farm or pull horse trailer when it snowed not like 4WD was helping him get to work. For all I know he never put anything in the bed. But its what he wanted not what I though was best for him. It wasn't my position to rationalize his purchase. If he'd have asked my opinion I'd have offer it. But like Bulldog9 he didn't ask what our opinion was between truck manufacturers he told us what he selected and your and others going out of your way to sh!t on his decision like it was the wrong one. He did his research and bought he truck he felt best suited his need. End of story.

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
Wow, don't take it personal, it's only trucks  :grin:

Some of us look at trucks as a tool .......I will say this, the  majority of full sized trucks are used like a car...

Bingo! Thats why I ended up with a Honda Ridgeline. You don't need a full size truck to get a tube of caulk at Home Depot. Plus it will still haul my motorcycles in a trailer which is all I ever used my full size trucks for anyway.

Pete

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
Bingo! Thats why I ended up with a Honda Ridgeline. You don't need a full size truck to get a tube of caulk at Home Depot. Plus it will still haul my motorcycles in a trailer which is all I ever used my full size trucks for anyway.

Pete

I have owned three pickup trucks, all Toyota’s for work. Quite frankly, I don’t like pick up trucks but I understand why some people like them.  Nowadays, I just have material delivered, and I still have my 70 el Camino for incidental things. The  only thing I occasionally tow are the bikes, so I just use the Outback for that work as the gas consumption is cheap compared to any pickup truck.   I regularly get offers from some guy to trade me his $40K + pickup truck for the el Camino, and I immediately offer them the keys but no one to date has taken the bait.  I’m hoping it happens one day, I’ll just sell that truck get another el Camino, pocket the leftovers and wait for the next offer.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
This won't quite fit in the trunk of my wife's Honda Civic!!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2019, 06:35:11 PM »
Why are you so worried about what others buy or how they use it.

Just trying to understand the thought process one goes through to end up with something totally different than what they were looking at.  If he had said he compared 1/2 ton trucks from the various manufacturers and then decided the Toyota was best for him I would understand it. 

Out here in horse country everyone thinks you need a diesel because it has status symbol attached to it.  Unless you are driving 30,000 miles a year or more and need to haul 18,000 lbs a diesel truck is going to cost you way more in maintenance and the truck is going to fall apart around the long life engine that you paid thousands more to own. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2019, 06:52:59 PM »
Perhaps it wasn't clear but I started by looking at everything mid and fullsize over a period of 5 years. Ended with the list above. Why does this chafe you so? You need to go ride dude. :drool:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:30:47 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 07:00:37 PM »
Just trying to understand the thought process one goes through to end up with something totally different than what they were looking at.  If he had said he compared 1/2 ton trucks from the various manufacturers and then decided the Toyota was best for him I would understand it. 

Out here in horse country everyone thinks you need a diesel because it has status symbol attached to it.  Unless you are driving 30,000 miles a year or more and need to haul 18,000 lbs a diesel truck is going to cost you way more in maintenance and the truck is going to fall apart around the long life engine that you paid thousands more to own.

Is a 3/4 ton truck really that different than a 1/2 ton truck? Its not like Bulldog9 was looking at trucks and ended up with a Honda Grom. Then compalined that the towing/hauling capacity of the grom sucked. He originally looked at 3/4 ton trucks and then looked at a 1/2 ton truck and decided on a 1/2 ton truck. Again he never stated he was or needed to tow/haul XYZ he said he was looking at trucks. What so hard about that and what wrong witht he decision he made?

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2019, 09:42:24 PM »
Is a 3/4 ton truck really that different than a 1/2 ton truck? Its not like Bulldog9 was looking at trucks and ended up with a Honda Grom. Then compalined that the towing/hauling capacity of the grom sucked. He originally looked at 3/4 ton trucks and then looked at a 1/2 ton truck and decided on a 1/2 ton truck. Again he never stated he was or needed to tow/haul XYZ he said he was looking at trucks. What so hard about that and what wrong witht he decision he made?

The 1/2 ton trucks were too car like for my taste. Too fancy, and felt more like a sedan than a truck.  The 3/4 ton trucks were more truck like and what a truck should be. The 'extra 1/4 ton 'capacity' was a moot point for my purposes.  I didn't see this article till after I purchased the Tundra, but it hits the nail on the head with what is right with it.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2017-toyota-tundra-trd-pro-is-the-best-version-of-a-1820821578
MGNOC#23231

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2019, 04:25:28 AM »
I agree less is more. I never understood individual climate control for two people sitting a foot apart. My boss had high end 2018 F150 with a 15 speed transmission. It was totally unnecessary. In a parking lot buy the time you went 75 feet you were in 6th gear. It had more buttons, toggles and switches than a control panel at NASA. It also had the irritating feature of shutting off when the vehicle idled at a stop.

My Tacoma in comparison has 90% less dodads and IHMO is better for it. A 6 speed transmission is plenty and one zone comfort control is something I can easily deal with.

I will say the only thing I though would be silly on the F150 that after trying I think should be standard on all vehicles is air conditioned seats. It is a life changer.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 07:12:44 AM »

It actually is really that different when riding empty. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2019, 07:14:54 AM »
I looked at a variety of trucks over about 5 years. The final three were about a combination of capabilities and options but most importantly what suited my particular taste. The advantage of a 3/4 ton truck is obvious if I wanted a huge fifth wheel trailer, or a large bed camper the 2500 could handle it.

In the end, it was the price that turned me away from the 2500 series trucks.  If money was no option I probably would have ended up with a power wagon, or the Silverado HD with the Duramax and black out package oh, but those trucks were over $65,000 and beyond my willingness to spend. As I said, I had pretty much decided on the GMC Sierra AT4 which is a package on the 1500 series truck. That was primarily due to things like drivability, ride quality, and several other things. I was not surprised with how poorly the Ram 2500 rode and drove, but the Silverado HD 2500 with the Duramax was every bit as comfortable as many other trucks. The variety and options in full size pickup trucks is astounding. Heck, if Jeep had its new gladiator on the market, I would have given that strong consideration, and as soon as they get past the first model year I may drive one and reconsider.

Did I buy because I needed? No, and in the five years I was weighing my options, I considered everything from a Range Rover,  Cayenne, to a new Grand Cherokee (have been driving a Jeep since 1984) to a Suburban,  and even considered buying a sport sedan or coupe and keeping my Jeep for the towing and other needs I had. But I also knew that a truck what expand my options and give me the convenience of not having to borrow someone's truck when I needed it.

In the end, it was about what I wanted and the options and possibilities.  I'm not a tradesman, and like most people my decisions were based on lifestyle choices. I would have been completely happy and satisfied with any of the final choices, but in the TRD Pro package of the tundra I got everything I wanted for looks style performance capabilities but most importantly the Tundra was $43,000 out the door for a brand new truck. That extra $15,000 was far better served in my pocket. The bonus, is that I ended up with a truck that hit every single checkbox I had, and I love it.

That said, the tundra is extremely overbuilt, and if Toyota decided to do a full box frame they could easily offer an HD variant of the Tundra just by upgrading the frame and spring rates. it also helped that at the time the tundra had far more us content than many of the American truck offerings. I think the most recent iteration of the Ford f150 has more U.S. content.

Reliability was a factor, but in my opinion for most full size truck sold in the United States, it's almost an equal wash.

one of the most interesting things for me and transitioning to a truck as my primary vehicle, is I've joined several truck forums. Wow forums always have people with strong opinions and contentiousness, I've been surprised to see what absolute asshats most people become when they discuss truck. Some of the tone of this thread seems to bear this out.

Some of you guys need to chill

Thanks.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2019, 08:41:19 AM »
Is a 3/4 ton truck really that different than a 1/2 ton truck? 

In decades past, they shared bodies.  In today's world, they are completely different machines with little that interchanges.

Engine, transmission, differentials, drive shaft, brakes, springs, shocks, frame are all heavier duty when you step from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2019, 09:01:50 AM »
In decades past, they shared bodies.  In today's world, they are completely different machines with little that interchanges.

Engine, transmission, differentials, drive shaft, brakes, springs, shocks, frame are all heavier duty when you step from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton.

Today's so called 1/2 tons can haul more legally that a 3/4 from 20 years ago..What is a" truck" is often in the eyes of the owner.. To me a truck has a clutch pedal and it's something you can climb into with a screwdriver in your rear pocket, the ability to push a fallen tree or a stalled vehicle out of the way, small dents and scrapes are just part of using it..But I do like AC , power windows and  remote adjustable outside mirrors...To me a truck is not something 220 inches long with 4 doors and a 4-5 foot bed, and interior accommodations like a luxury sedan...But if you like what you have that is all that matters...

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
Today's so called 1/2 tons can haul more legally that a 3/4 from 20 years ago..

That is true, and something to consider if you are cross-shopping 2019 model 1500s vs 1999 model 2500s.    :wink:

Mission creep.  Arms race.  Whatever.   That does not change the fact that 1/2-ton an 3/4-ton trucks do not share much hardware.  When you move from a 1500 to a 2500 everything is bigger, stronger, tougher.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »
That is true, and something to consider if you are cross-shopping 2019 model 1500s vs 1999 model 2500s.    :wink:

Mission creep.  Arms race.  Whatever.   That does not change the fact that 1/2-ton an 3/4-ton trucks do not share much hardware.  When you move from a 1500 to a 2500 everything is bigger, stronger, tougher.

While that is true, it was also true 20-30 years ago....I'm familiar with GM trucks.. the 3/4 ton ,compared to a half ton, has a thicker gauge bigger dimension frame, different engine options with elimination of the smallest V-8's or 6 cylinders, bigger front spindles, higher capacity full floating rear axle with deeper axle ratios, different springs,different wheels and more..I can say with some confidence this must have been the same for Ford and Dodge..
  I used to do electrical contract work for a large auto dismantler...Once the body is off, you can see the huge boxed frames on 1/2 ton trucks with crumple zones near the front...these new 1/2 ton frames do look more rigid than past 3/4 tons..I bet a lot of this has to do with the rigid frames demanded for the safety and more quiet ride and comfort of newer trucks...

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »
On my third I do a lot of travel for work hand have had a 2010, 2015 and now a 2018.  Put 350,00 on the 2010 and 250 on the 2015. Nothing but oil and tires.  Super reliable, and the only Trucks I will own. Wife has a 2018 Tacoma.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:24:56 AM by vintagehoarder »
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 12:22:19 PM »

So true.  My 2017 Nissan Frontier 4.0L has a higher towing capacity than my 2000 GMC Sierra 4.8L truck did.  The Frontier also has a 1460 lb payload. 

But, let us not forget that Toyota made a 1 ton pickup in the 1970s for the US buyer. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
I was in the Toyota dealership yesterday after seeing sales figures for 2018 and talking to the salesman I think Toyota is doing the right thing.

In 2018 there were something like 896,000 F-150 produced Dodge and Chevy were in the 600,000+ range and Tacoma's there were 296,000 produced (a 24% increase over 2017)

So yes Toyota doesn't produce the sheer amount of vehicles but they sell all they produce at or close to MSRP. On very rare occasion they offer a $1,000 discount on the Tacoma whereas Ford Chevy and Dodge ALWAY are offering $5,000 to $10,000+ off MSRP and have a tremendous amount of leftovers compared to Toyota. These leftovers are further discounted to get them to sell.

I think Toyota follows the pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered theory. Sure they could produce 900,000 Tacomas and not sell a bunch of them then deeply discount the remaining stock to clear it out. Or they can manufacturer what will sell at or very close to MSRP and be happy turning profit.

So maybe their ultimate goal isn't to have the #1 truck sales spot. Maybe it's to make a profit??

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 08:16:35 AM »
I was in the Toyota dealership yesterday after seeing sales figures for 2018 and talking to the salesman I think Toyota is doing the right thing.

In 2018 there were something like 896,000 F-150 produced Dodge and Chevy were in the 600,000+ range and Tacoma's there were 296,000 produced (a 24% increase over 2017)

So yes Toyota doesn't produce the sheer amount of vehicles but they sell all they produce at or close to MSRP. On very rare occasion they offer a $1,000 discount on the Tacoma whereas Ford Chevy and Dodge ALWAY are offering $5,000 to $10,000+ off MSRP and have a tremendous amount of leftovers compared to Toyota. These leftovers are further discounted to get them to sell.

I think Toyota follows the pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered theory. Sure they could produce 900,000 Tacomas and not sell a bunch of them then deeply discount the remaining stock to clear it out. Or they can manufacturer what will sell at or very close to MSRP and be happy turning profit.

So maybe their ultimate goal isn't to have the #1 truck sales spot. Maybe it's to make a profit??

Ford GM and Ram make a huge profit on trucks..And that's why Ford has and GM will soon abandon making most cars..And since they outsell Toyota and Nissan full size trucks by a huge difference, they can make less money per unit.....And GM trucks sales do not include the the very popular Tahoe and Suburban truck based models...The facts are simple, Toyota and Nissan can't break the full size truck market because the majority of truck buys are loyal to other brand names...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:17:16 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2019, 08:42:08 AM »
Ford GM and Ram make a huge profit on trucks..And that's why Ford has and GM will soon abandon making most cars..And since they outsell Toyota and Nissan full size trucks by a huge difference, they can make less money per unit.....And GM trucks sales do not include the the very popular Tahoe and Suburban truck based models...The facts are simple, Toyota and Nissan can't break the full size truck market because the majority of truck buys are loyal to other brand names...

I'm still not so sure that Toyota and Nissan aren't happy selling what they do in a ever saturating truck market and are not worried about becoming the top producer.

Over the years I've owned  2 Ford Rangers, 1 Chevy K20, 1 Dodge Ram 1500 and 2 Tacomas and 1 4Runner in that order. Brand loyalty started in 2003 when I bought my 1st Tacoma.

I've also had 3 F-150's and 2 E-350's as work vehicles. Honestly after 2008 I'd be hard pressed to spend any money on the big three be it car truck or van.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2019, 09:16:34 AM »
I'm still not so sure that Toyota and Nissan aren't happy selling what they do in a ever saturating truck market and are not worried about becoming the top producer.

Over the years I've owned  2 Ford Rangers, 1 Chevy K20, 1 Dodge Ram 1500 and 2 Tacomas and 1 4Runner in that order. Brand loyalty started in 2003 when I bought my 1st Tacoma.

I've also had 3 F-150's and 2 E-350's as work vehicles. Honestly after 2008 I'd be hard pressed to spend any money on the big three be it car truck or van.

:thumb:
steady goes the race,
the tortoise and the hare,
GM, Ford, Chrysler all laughed at the Japanese cars when they started coming over in the 70's. It takes time to do things right. 
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »

Well maybe but it appears that Toyota's market strategy has always been to dominate of the market.. That's certainly true of their cars and the Tacoma I believe is a top seller in smaller trucks..They dominated the US small -mid size car sales in less than 10 years...Been near 20 years for full size trucks and nothing close to that...Sure will will take second to last place so long as they make some money on it, but I would bet you the company would rather be first in sales..

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2019, 09:58:04 AM »
Well maybe but it appears that Toyota's market strategy has always been to dominate of the market.. That's certainly true of their cars and the Tacoma I believe is a top seller in smaller trucks..They dominated the US small -mid size car sales in less than 10 years...Been near 20 years for full size trucks and nothing close to that...Sure will will take second to last place so long as they make some money on it, but I would bet you the company would rather be first in sales..

One can also be 1st in sales and last in profit.

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

elvisboy77

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2019, 01:10:51 PM »
I find it interesting that Toyota and Nissan full size trucks have never made dent in the US market in over 10 years, unlike their small trucks and cars...Considering just what is called 1/2 ton trucks, Ford, GM and Dodge together sell 10 trucks for each one sold by Toyota and Nissan together...

The Asian models aren't truly full size like the American ones.  They are also not American, no matter where they are built.  I doubt that will change any time soon.  And the American truck quality is top notch nowadays according to my friends who own them.  I would be surprised to ever see the Asians have a significant market share.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here