Author Topic: V7III Footpeg Lowering  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
V7III Footpeg Lowering
« on: April 13, 2019, 05:59:19 PM »
Just got my new, 2018, V7III Special (black), and have about 600 miles on it now.  Fifty years of biking, and this is my first Guzzi.  My dad had a couple Eldorados in the early 70's, so not a stranger. 

The V7III hits the nail on the head for me in terms of power, character, and so on, but my first couple rides brought out a flaw I suspected I might encounter.  It's the same thing that the Triumph Street Twin I was considering has.  They seem to slam the seats as low as they can on these "entry level" bikes.  I'm only 5'11" and maybe a fraction, but I found the riding position cramped.  Legroom, please. 

I removed the rubber from the standard footpads (3/4" maybe), and ahhhhhh.  So much better.  Then I ordered some Knight Designs footpegs with their lowest amount of drop, 1 - 3/8".  Boom.  Right on the money.  Way comfy now.  They're aluminum billet CNC'd, with no rubber footpad, but the grip pattern seems to keep my boot in place.  The silver anodized finish is reasonably close to the silver-ish shift and brake mechanicals, so they look good.  Do they scrape in a curve?  I wouldn't know with the way I ride, but it looks like the kickstand will hit first.  Fitment was perfect, so, easy install.  They don't say they fit the 2018, but they do list the 2017, so.....  Easy to adjust the shifter to accommodate the lower pegs, and luckily, I was able to get away without having to adjust the brake, which has no obvious way to adjust.  My heel is still on the peg as I press on the brake, so all is well. 

I don't seem to miss having rubber on the pegs, vibration wise.  It's not like I ride barefoot.

There don't seem to be many pegs advertised for the V7III, so this mod is probably pretty common knowledge, but just offering my 2 cents on a product that seems to be good.   

Now, if I could only find a good solution for the seat.  The stock seat's okay, and better then many, but could be better.  If only Seat Concepts would make a foam and cover replacement.  My Yamaha XT250 trail bike has Seat Concepts on it, and is actually more comfy than the Guzzi. 

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
Re: V7III Footpeg Lowering
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »
I ran dropped pegs on my Griso and found they pushed my feet a bit wider AND left marks on my boots.

When I put 1 inch longer Hagon shocks in the back (about same length as V7 II shock) with the correct weight springs they not only gave me a better ride, but also sharpened up the steering AND gave me more legroom.

I'm using the ribbed saddle which feel better than the stock flat one to me. I plan to put 1" more padding in the seat for more cushion (and get a little more leg room). Will also contour the seat so it's more concave than the stock convex. Guzzi also makes a comfort gel saddle but they're pricey. Using a separate cushion for longer rides until I get around to stuffing the seat.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 06:34:20 AM »

When I put 1 inch longer Hagon shocks in the back (about same length as V7 II shock) with the correct weight springs they not only gave me a better ride, but also sharpened up the steering AND gave me more legroom.

How did longer shocks give you more legroom? The distance from the seat to the foot pegs would not have changed with different shocks would it?
North Carolina

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 07:43:44 AM »
My solution was to rebuild the seat and add 2 inches.  The seat needed it anyway to be comfortable and with the height, Bob's your uncle.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 07:43:44 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »
My solution was to rebuild the seat and add 2 inches.  The seat needed it anyway to be comfortable and with the height, Bob's your uncle.

This would be my recommendation.  Why reduce cornering clearance if you don't have to. 

You can always add handlebar risers if you want to keep that ratio of the rider triangle. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:30:44 PM »
I put on MotoWerk footpeg lowering blocks made for a Honda CB500X. Fit perfectly, drop pegs about 1.3 inches. I haven't scraped pegs yet, but I am not Marquez.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 06:43:51 AM »
How did longer shocks give you more legroom? The distance from the seat to the foot pegs would not have changed with different shocks would it?

Raising the back w/o a corresponding lift in the front will slightly increase the seat to peg length with greater differences the closer you get to the shock. I didn't measure it and to be fair it probably wasn't much but it did feel better to me. With the slightly taller ribbed seat my legs are comfortable with my 31" inseam. KOF's suggestion to pad the seat is my next step to riding bliss as it will help my bum and get even more legroom.

Raising the rear will also decrease the rake a bit and sharpen steering (same as raising the forks in the clamps) but that's a different thread.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline killorbytes

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 03:55:23 PM »
I put on MotoWerk footpeg lowering blocks made for a Honda CB500X. Fit perfectly, drop pegs about 1.3 inches. I haven't scraped pegs yet, but I am not Marquez.

Have a pic of the install?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 08:42:38 PM »
I haven't lowered the pegs on my V7III but I did lower there brake pedal, I was worried that my boot was resting on the pedal.
Just carved it out of 1/8" aluminium, the extension above the bolt is to guide my boot to the toe pedal.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 08:46:29 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 04:14:06 AM »
That's mighty clever!  Bet you could sell those, Roy.

I've used the same set of Slingshot Racing pegs on a Nevada, V7 II, V9 Roamer, and V7 850. 

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here