Author Topic: Stelvio shakedown.......  (Read 21969 times)

Vasco DG

Stelvio shakedown.......
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:54:01 PM »
Late last year a customer bought in his Stelvio. Long story short it was comprehensively 'Donald Ducked' by the addition of a pair of those bloody O2 sensor foolers. Anyway, I got the go ahead to start fixing it so over the Christmas break when most people were on holiday I started reducing it to this.

Anyway Erika came down and took a shitload of pics but I'm having trouble uploading them to Flickr but when I do I'll add them.

Motor has been broken down into its main components.

Well today Mark Foster who posts here as 'Oldtime' came over with his bore measuring kit.

After he'd scattered it all over the shop by dropping its ancient wooden box, (It's German. Crap. No wonder it broke! ;D) we were amazed to find that although the lip in the top of the bore *Felt* a lot bigger it only measured at 0.01! Bore wasn't ovalised and a quick scrub with some wet'n'dry to remove the carbon showed that they'll be perfectly fine to go round again! Bonus! Pistons, (Pics later.) are also perfect, they've even still got the Teflon coating on the skirts! Same can't be said for the rings unfortunately. 100 thou end gap is, err?? A little bit excessive.

Sump was full of nasties!

Nastiest thing was the ca chains though. The diluted oil had failed to lubricate the pins adequately and the chains were horribly worn. Even though I tried hand pumping the  tensioners and spinning the motor on the starter after installing the roller top end it was to no avail. As soon as it fired it jumped three teeth and bye-bye valves! Well, can't say I didn't try :D. The difference between the length of the 'Old' chain and a new one is obvious when they are hung side by side!

Took out one rod to check the big end shells. More good luck. Shells are perfect. I ain't replacing these!

Mor later.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Stelvio shakedown.......
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:47:09 AM »
Hey Pete did you get the dimensions and thread dia and pitch off the valve adjusters?
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Vasco DG

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:57:15 AM »
Nah, sorry, I'll do that tomorrow and PM you. If I forget, well, y'know? Nag! :D

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 05:00:25 AM »
Just a question? Is anybody interested in this stuff? Fine if you're not, I don't expect any sort of slavish gratitude or anything but if nobody's interested I won't bother as it does take time. I just thought that it would be interesting. If it's not I won't waste my time.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 05:00:25 AM »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 05:56:43 AM »
Just a question? Is anybody interested in this stuff? Fine if you're not, I don't expect any sort of slavish gratitude or anything but if nobody's interested I won't bother as it does take time. I just thought that it would be interesting. If it's not I won't waste my time.

Pete
I'm always interested in this stuff Pete. Same as I keep all my old workshop manuals etc.
Even though I may not ever own some of these bikes/engines its all good interesting engineering information.
I love seeing various engineering solutions and approaches to similar design criterior.
Ciao   
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:06:01 AM »
   As far as I am concerned it is hard to be too well informed.  One thing I find interesting is the muck in the oil pan, you would think if the oil was diluted with gas that would wash away.  Must have built up pretty good before he installed the O2 sensor cheaters.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 06:07:42 AM »
I'm always interested in a frontbottom of a job.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 06:30:46 AM »
I love it, best way to see the new engines.

The O2 fooler things pumped excess fuel and diluted the oil? Wow. Too many folk think rich is good..

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:36:31 AM »

Pete

You have a loyal subscriber from the far east  ;-T
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 07:18:48 AM »
This kind of stuff keeps me on the forum! ;-T
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

andrewdonald1

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 07:23:51 AM »
This kind of stuff keeps me on the forum! ;-T

Me to.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 07:48:29 AM »

Pete

Pete,

These threads are great!  Please continue.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 07:55:03 AM »
I'm in as well :pop

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 08:09:39 AM »
My favorite kind of thread actually...  ;D

*looking at my own dissection project thread*

Thanks for sharing!
-Joe

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »
Pete,

These threads are great!  Please continue.

What he said.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 08:14:27 AM »
Please carry on, at least when you are not dodging wild fires. :D

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 08:35:27 AM »
Keep it coming.  As I am very mechanically challenged, I can at least see parts I normally would kept far away from.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 08:36:48 AM »
Yes please do.... I have a 12 NTX and ran those Phat Duc thingys for a brief spell before I went back to stock.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
Pete, I'm interested and appreciate the extra effort it takes to post this stuff.  Thanks!

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
Absolutely Pete.. Please keep it coming!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline CTYANKEE

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 09:08:07 AM »
Yea, cool stuff, I don't understand much of it, but it looks interesting. ;-T

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 09:18:59 AM »

I fine it VERY interesting. Much better then reading about someones ingrown toenail.  ~;

I'm surprise to hear that the cam chain can jump with that small amount of wear. Are the sprockets damaged too?

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
Pete...keep it coming.

I am pretty sure it was you that once said the only big problems you have ever see with the 8V engines were on ones that had been modified somehow......think this makes your point.

Vasco DG

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »
Sorry, I was just a bit surprised that there were so many views and no responses of any kind. I do enjoy doing stuff like these photo-essays but they are quite labour intensive so there is little point if nobody's interested. If anyone has any questions?fire away and I'll do my best to answer them.

As for the shite in the sump? Well, yes, the fuel in the oil does wash things clean but it has to end up somewhere and *Somewhere* is in the sump. The best detergents in the world won't keep that amount of crap in suspension in the oil. I still have the filter that came off it when it came in. I might do a Bill and cut it open, it won't be pretty I'm sure.

Pete

PS. Wayne, 'Morse Silent' or as they are sometimes known 'Inverted Tooth' chains are more efficient than a conventional chain but once they wear beyond the design limits of the tensioners they will joyfully climb over the sprocket teeth when load is applied. With this engine I knew I was on a hiding to nothing when, when I was tightening the camchain sprocket retainer bolt on the left hand pot the chain started ratcheting. I also knew that it would be hard to convince the owner or anybody else that consequences of not replacing the chain would be dire without at least trying. I also have two sets of valves off warranty take-off heads that were porous that have less than 5,000km on so they are essentially new. I'll recycle them in this rebuild to save the owner a few bob but given the amount of slobberingly rich fuel that has been washing through I felt the risk, well, almost certainty, of valve damage was worth the risk as the guides were going to need checking anyway. I have to admit I'm actually quite surprised at how little wear there is on the inlet guides. I was expecting the valve stems to be flopping around like a cock in a sock! They aren't! Miracle!

Vasco DG

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 10:25:45 AM »
As a brief aside people often ask how I go about supporting the bike during disassembley. Here's a pic just before I dropped the motive unit out, (I'm in fact just removing the swingarm.). You can clearly see the jack under the sump and the tie-downs I use from the handlebars to the front of the bench.

The sump casting is quite strong enough to support the bike as long as you take care to spread the load. Stability is the most important issue.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:29:57 AM by Vasco DG »

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 11:31:44 AM »
Keep the pics coming Pete! I know it's a bit of an interruption to stop and take pictures. Much appreciated.

Rich
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 12:24:38 PM »
You can clearly see the jack under the sump and the tie-downs I use from the handlebars to the front of the bench.

I made this jack to go under the sump and hold the motor when I dropped the Stelvio engine.
Well, I wanted to play with my new torch also.  ;D

You run the wingnuts down on the threaded rods and lift the motor by the sump. Then you disconnect everything and unbolt the motor. Then to lower it, you just turn the wingnuts. That was the idea, but that doesn't work so well because the cheap allthread rods have crappy rolled threads that 'lock' when you put any load on them. What was supposed to save me time became really tedious.  ::)
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »
Pete, while I don't post or reply much, I would like to take this opportunity to say how much I appreciate yours and others labor to document this and other relevant procedures related to my 8 valve Stelio. I come here to learn, thats the bottom line for me. I really don't have that much to offer except to say thanks to you and the others that contribute.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Offline Mal Wright

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 01:48:59 PM »
Pete, this stuff is gold. If not required today, it will be a fantastic reference for the future. I think you are the only person posting engine work on the 1200 8V and its much appreciated.
Guzzi 1200 Sport, Yamaha MT09, Husqvarna TR650

Tony C

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »
Thank you Pete for this infomation and yes, I am very interested in this.  How many miles were on the motor prior to the overhaul?

This is one more reason that I have kept my Griso 8V stock (except for the Staintune muffler) I have always been leary of the different gismos to change the fueling.  The Griso has more power than I can ever use :o and I can put up with the little surging and small amount of popping that is attributed to the lean conditions due to emissions requirements. 

Thanks, TonyC

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here