Author Topic: Congratulations Simona Halep  (Read 2178 times)

oldbike54

Congratulations Simona Halep
« on: July 13, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »
 What a dominating performance in the Wimbledon Women's final  :bow: Never easy to beat Serena , today Halep played a flawless match .

Dusty

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Congratulations Simona Halep
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
Is that cause she's female?

:evil:
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 03:57:57 PM »
Oh here we go  :violent1:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:51:04 PM »
Oh here we go  :violent1:

Well, domination in women's sports IS a thing these days.   Hard to imagine that it isn't the first thing thought about when the subject is brought up on the Guzzi list ..... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:51:04 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »
<sigh>

Congratulations Simona  :bow:

Dusty

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »
Flawless match indeed...she played lights out - well earned.

For the clueless on here, it was 1 woman vs. another 1 woman, not Billie Jean King vs. the ignorant dude - bunch of cynics honestly.

Tomorrow's men's match will be a nail biter...hoping Federer clinches another victory, he had an amazing match against Nadal.

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 05:36:19 PM »
I like turtles.

And Simona! :thumb:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 09:11:08 PM »
Sirena played poorly and Simona played the best match of her career. She dominated for 56 minutes, very well done!
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »
yeah, it was an amazing thing to behold. that ability and willingness to run for shots that seemed unreachable reminded us of the energy and drive of a young(er) rafa nadal.  she kept running and snagging impossible volleys. sure, ok, it was an off day for williams but that in no way detracts from halep's pure energy win.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »
yeah, it was an amazing thing to behold. that ability and willingness to run for shots that seemed unreachable reminded us of the energy and drive of a young(er) rafa nadal.  she kept running and snagging impossible volleys. sure, ok, it was an off day for williams but that in no way detracts from halep's pure energy win.

The women's game is still so beautiful , even Serena who possesses incredible power can play an elegant form of the game . What we witnessed yesterday was Simona playing a classic baseline counter punching style of Tennis that is mesmerizing to behold . The men just want to bash each other's brains out , very little strategy involved . Call me a traditionalist , but I prefer elegance and craft over brute force .

Dusty

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »
Are you watching Federer and Djokovic...this is pure art!  The drama is killing me!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »
Are you watching Federer and Djokovic...this is pure art!  The drama is killing me!

No cable , it will be on later on broadcast , will watch it then . Don't tell me who won .

Dusty

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »
No cable , it will be on later on broadcast , will watch it then . Don't tell me who won .

Dusty

yeah, same here. we're waiting for it to turn up on broadcast tv- i think in less than an hour from now.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 01:40:05 PM »
The women's game is still so beautiful , even Serena who possesses incredible power can play an elegant form of the game . What we witnessed yesterday was Simona playing a classic baseline counter punching style of Tennis that is mesmerizing to behold . The men just want to bash each other's brains out , very little strategy involved . Call me a traditionalist , but I prefer elegance and craft over brute force .

Dusty
Unless you are talking about the big serving guys, like Anderson, Isner, or Raonic, there is plenty of strategy and finesse involved in the men's game. If you can't see it, McEnroe will tell you about it. To me there is nothing prettier in the game, men's side or women's side, than the 1-handed backhand of Wawrinka, Federer and Gasquet. Players on both sides are continually probing for weakness. Do I miss the old serve and volley of Laver, Rosewall, and McEnroe? Sure. If it were still effective, more would be employing it regularly. There is a reason they don't.

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
Just finished at 2:30

Longest e v e r
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 06:54:36 PM »
hmmm, let's see if i can do this without revealing the winner (for those who have yet to see it.) just a few quick impressions:

1) it astonishes me how federer is able to play a hard game against nadal on saturday and then go on to play in a final the next day.  the conditioning of these highest level athletes is amazing.

2) both of them appeared (with the exception of one small outburst on djokvic's side) to be remarkably calm and composed throughout. the play had some exceptional moments but overall it was workmanlike but relentless.

3) either one of them could have won this thing - based upon their performance - but federer definitely looked more tired than djokovic.  you could see djokovic playing to federer's backhand which weakened as time went on.

4) toward the end of the fourth set djokovic seemed to rally and it was impressive to see him pull that energy out of...somewhere.

5) the game just kept going and going and...going. really hard fought. as the game went on and went into overtime the crowd went nuts and that was great fun. it, for the most part drowned out mc enroe and co.

ry
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 07:05:40 PM »
Patrick Rafter, last of the great serve-and-volleyers to reach No. 1 world ranking, was the most entertaining player to watch I can recall in the modern era.  Unfortunately, serve-and-volley is pretty much dead in the current game, as the high-technology modern racquets give too much advantage to the returner.  Even Wimbledon is now grooming the grass courts for slower play to favor the backcourt game favored by nearly all current pro players.

Djokovic ran into energy slumps in the second and fourth sets today, and lost both of those sets because of waning concentration/sharpness and court coverage.  But you have to admire his steely mental resilience and resolve in being able to regain his form and come through in the epic 5th set, especially when Fed was serving at 8-7 for the match:  Djokovic played an astonishingly tenacious game and broke serve for 8-8, paving the way for eventual victory.  Incredible match, very close.  Fed played a little better overall iMO, but Djokovic played big shots at the right moments.  Memorable.

Simona Halep deserves a lot of credit for the outstanding match she played against Serena.  I can't recall when I've seen a more focussed and flawless match by a woman.  Well done!!
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 09:35:59 PM »
Amazing tennis from Wimbledon!! Stunning!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »
 Probably the best men's final in the modern era .

Dusty

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 01:58:29 PM »
Wow I had no idea there were other Guzzi tennis players /fans.Bring your racquet to the Wisconsin for the Wild Guzzi open.Winner gets all the beer he/she can drink.

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »
Wow I had no idea there were other Guzzi tennis players /fans.Bring your racquet to the Wisconsin for the Wild Guzzi open.Winner gets all the beer he/she can drink.

I haven't played in years , and only had two weapons , speed and a big serve , played just long enough to understand how hard it is to get good .

What's the old saying , easy to learn , impossible to master ?

Dusty

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 01:36:55 AM »
Many might grouse for non Moto content but this is EXACTLY why I love this group. Diversity rocks and motorcyclists can be quite close-minded sometimes. Not this group.

I happen to love tennis and yes enjoyed both matches.
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 08:53:20 AM »
Wow I had no idea there were other Guzzi tennis players /fans.Bring your racquet to the Wisconsin for the Wild Guzzi open.

I'm in. Singles or doubles?  :laugh:

Quote from: oldbike54
only had two weapons , speed and a big serve

I'll bet at least one of those is gone  :rolleyes:

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 09:51:07 AM »
I'm in. Singles or doubles?  :laugh:

I'll bet at least one of those is gone  :rolleyes:

Both disappeared about 15 years ago  :laugh: Although I was still playing some competitive sports against younger people at 50 .

Started taking tennis lessons in my mid twenties because the wife signed us up . Hadn't ever played before but thought what the heck , this is something we can do together . What she didn't know was that I possessed a ferocious competitive streak , and took any sport seriously . The instructor was a ranked college player who just happened to be female , but man could she play the game . Once we moved to the stage of learning to serve , it came naturally , being so similar to pitching a baseball . Once you make contact at the top of the toss , the motion is almost exactly the same , all the way to the follow thru . The instructor asked me to serve to her for 15 minutes during every session to improve her return of serve , she mentioned that I served as hard as any college player she had ever seen , and seemed a bit surprised by that until we discussed why it came natural . I was a little skinny guy who had a cannon for a right arm  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »
I don't watch any sports. Hell, I got out of breath the last time I played peek-a-boo with my grandson.

Tex

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »
Seriously if anyone wants to play around the Wisconsin Rally or anytime you are i SW WI send me an Email or call 6085837603.If I can still play at 74,Dusty can make a comeback.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here