Author Topic: Newbie Checking In  (Read 1184 times)

Offline JohninPA

• New Egg
Newbie Checking In
« on: January 25, 2022, 02:54:26 PM »
May be new to this forum, but not to Moto Guzzi, having been riding Moto Guzzi's since 1983, my first being a LeMans MkIII 850. I have had numerous affairs with other marques as well, mostly BMWs, Triumphs, and other assorted Europeans such as Ducati and Laverda. But Guzzi has always been #1 ... I keep coming back to them and have owned and enjoyed 21 Guzzis to date.

Present stable consists of two, a 2021 V7 850 Special, and a 2020 V7III Racer, (#40 of 200).

Waiting for some warmer weather here in SE Pennsylvania ... come on Spring!

Just wanted to say 'hi' and get my first post in - thanks Luap for admitting me so quickly!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 02:56:32 PM by JohninPA »
2020 V7 III Racer LE #40 of 200

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Newbie Checking In
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 02:57:28 PM »
Welcome! sdcr lives in Lancaster, and I'm originally from the York area. Curious to hear your comparisons between the V7 III and V7 850. I have a V7 II, and occasionally consider getting an 850, but I think the wet weight is beyond what I prefer in a bike.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline JohninPA

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 03:24:16 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! And yes, the V7 850 is about 45 (?) lbs heavier than the previous generation, but to be honest, I only notice that weight difference when pushing the bike around the garage. On the road, the extra weight is not a detriment, if anything, the bike feels more 'planted', and the 25% increase in power is noticeable.

I too had a V7II Special, a V7III Special and now the V7III Racer. The Racer came up used at my local dealer with only 450 miles on it this past Summer. I had already owned the V7 850, but the Racer is a blast to ride and is a different experience to the 850. Got a great deal on it and it was 100% original, and stock.

They're all great bikes ... can't go wrong with any one of them. If you can get a test ride on the new 850, try it out ... I don't think the extra weight will be an issue. At least they're still air cooled and haven't gone over to liquid cooling like Triumph and BMW, that helps (I assume) to keep the weight down.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 03:31:22 PM »
Yo Chester County

Before my wife (from Downingtown) and I moved from Chester County across the bridges to South Jersey, we lived in Caln township and then Kennett Square.

We get back frequently to drop in on in-laws in D-town and West Chester.

Anyway welcome and all that. You pick up your bikes at Moto Plex?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 03:32:03 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 03:31:22 PM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 03:33:52 PM »
Welcome! sdcr lives in Lancaster, and I'm originally from the York area. Curious to hear your comparisons between the V7 III and V7 850. I have a V7 II, and occasionally consider getting an 850, but I think the wet weight is beyond what I prefer in a bike.

I was just commenting on the ADV rider V7 thread that I really don't feel the difference between even my MkI and the V7 850.

And more importantly neither does my diminutive wife.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 03:50:51 PM »
Welkommen!!

Loads of people here w/SE PA ties.  I went to school in Chester.  Lived in Wiconisco near Lykens & Williamsburg.  Close to Pottsville. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline JohninPA

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 04:02:12 PM »
Hi Kev ... yes Motoplex in West Chester, formerly Wide World West Chester. I used to deal with Lori at Europa Machinna (bought four Guzzis from her) but as you know, they folded up their tent just about the same time Wide World came into being. Very positive experience with them (Motoplex) so far, and the great thing, they're only about 12 miles from here.

You've been to my former house in Coatesville, when you and Jay came by and Jay purchased my 2009 V7 Classic. I too have relocated, but only two miles down the road to a 55+ development ... (no more spending hours riding a lawn tractor over two acres of ground when I can be riding my Guzzi!)

Thanks for the welcome!

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 04:55:31 PM »
Hi Kev ... yes Motoplex in West Chester, formerly Wide World West Chester. I used to deal with Lori at Europa Machinna (bought four Guzzis from her) but as you know, they folded up their tent just about the same time Wide World came into being. Very positive experience with them (Motoplex) so far, and the great thing, they're only about 12 miles from here.

You've been to my former house in Coatesville, when you and Jay came by and Jay purchased my 2009 V7 Classic. I too have relocated, but only two miles down the road to a 55+ development ... (no more spending hours riding a lawn tractor over two acres of ground when I can be riding my Guzzi!)

Thanks for the welcome!
Ahhh yes yes, I remember well.

So it's more a welcome back.

Glad things are going well.  :thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 05:35:42 PM »
Welcome aboard John in PA. 👋🏻

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 08:48:39 PM »
Welcome to the madhouse! My mom grew up on a farm in Lancaster,  near Littitz, I think it’s been awhile since I’ve been there and all the relatives are gone now. Mom’s still going though, 95 and lives on her own.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline mmcwhitehead

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 07:32:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum, John!

I'm a SE PA guy. I live in western Lancaster County. Long-time Guzzi rider from a Guzzi family. Maybe I'll see you out on the road.

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:33:19 AM by mmcwhitehead »
2014 California Touring
1973 Eldorado w/ Velorex Sidecar

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 10:29:58 AM »
May be new to this forum, but not to Moto Guzzi, having been riding Moto Guzzi's since 1983, my first being a LeMans MkIII 850. I have had numerous affairs with other marques as well, mostly BMWs, Triumphs, and other assorted Europeans such as Ducati and Laverda. But Guzzi has always been #1 ... I keep coming back to them and have owned and enjoyed 21 Guzzis to date.

Present stable consists of two, a 2021 V7 850 Special, and a 2020 V7III Racer, (#40 of 200).

Waiting for some warmer weather here in SE Pennsylvania ... come on Spring!

Just wanted to say 'hi' and get my first post in - thanks Luap for admitting me so quickly!
Two in two years?  Sounds like a habit forming....
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Offline JohninPA

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 11:10:08 AM »
Welcome to the madhouse! My mom grew up on a farm in Lancaster,  near Littitz, I think it’s been awhile since I’ve been there and all the relatives are gone now. Mom’s still going though, 95 and lives on her own.
Thanks, and yes, Littitz is a beautiful little town and I ride through there often. (With occasional visits to the Wilbur Chocolate Factory)! :drool:

Offline JohninPA

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 11:20:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum, John!

I'm a SE PA guy. I live in western Lancaster County. Long-time Guzzi rider from a Guzzi family. Maybe I'll see you out on the road.

Jeff
Thanks for the welcome, Jeff ... any relation to the Whiteheads of Paradise, PA? One of them purchased a 1987 Guzzi LeMans SE that I had traded to Fred Heistand (former Guzzi dealer in Manheim, PA .. great guy, sadly died a few years back) on a new 1989 LeMans ... we all used to meet at the 'old' meeting place in Ephrata behind the Cloisters Restaurant, many, many years ago before that 1st Sunday event became the monster that it is now at the American Legion Post.

Those were the days .... can't remember the fellows first name but he was a Whitehead and he put tons of mileage on that SE!

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 03:31:22 PM »
I was in Butler a few years back along with 4,020 other Jeeps helping to set a Guinness World Record for the longest Jeep Parade.  Pretty country there.
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 05:13:06 PM »
Welcome!
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline mmcwhitehead

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 07:36:36 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, Jeff ... any relation to the Whiteheads of Paradise, PA? One of them purchased a 1987 Guzzi LeMans SE that I had traded to Fred Heistand (former Guzzi dealer in Manheim, PA .. great guy, sadly died a few years back) on a new 1989 LeMans ... we all used to meet at the 'old' meeting place in Ephrata behind the Cloisters Restaurant, many, many years ago before that 1st Sunday event became the monster that it is now at the American Legion Post.

Those were the days .... can't remember the fellows first name but he was a Whitehead and he put tons of mileage on that SE!

Yep, I'm one of Dick Whitehead's sons.

The owner of that Lemans is my nephew.

My dad still rides his sidecar rig. He's a regular at the Lawn Fire Co. Biker Breakfast held third Sunday each month May through August in Lawn, PA (Lebanon County).

Cheers,
Jeff
2014 California Touring

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 12:46:17 PM »
Did you guys ride over to the MGNOC National last held in Cumberland, WV?  There was a Dad w/2 sons.  I think one of the sons was on a LM IV and the others were on HD's.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline JohninPA

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 02:12:24 PM »
Did you guys ride over to the MGNOC National last held in Cumberland, WV?  There was a Dad w/2 sons.  I think one of the sons was on a LM IV and the others were on HD's.
The last time I attended that rally was in 1990. I arrived on a Friday afternoon, and it started to rain just as I was putting my tent up, I think around 3:30 or so.
It rained off and on the entire weekend, campgrounds became a muddy, slippery mess, ... and it teemed down with rain my entire way home, which was along the PA turnpike  ... I was riding my 1987 LeMans SE mentioned previously. Great time in spite of the weather and the LeMans never missed a beat despite the torrential downpours. Encountered a young lady driving a Porsche somewhere along the turnpike and we had some fun dicing back and forth ...  :grin:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 02:24:32 PM »
I brought pineapple in for the Saturday night dinner.  I did work on a SE.  Turns out his points were almost closed up and the felt in the middle post needed some lube.  Amazing how a bike will run with the points set properly.   :grin:

Offline mmcwhitehead

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 02:48:41 PM »

That wouldn't have been us. My nephew who rode the LeMans lives overseas now and I don't have a brother who rides an HD.
2014 California Touring

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here