Author Topic: Road Trips 2022 ?  (Read 1974 times)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
Road Trips 2022 ?
« on: January 26, 2022, 08:22:57 AM »
I know that it's only January, but I'm sitting around thinking about road trips for 2022.

Death Valley is on my bucket list, but I'll need to fly and RENT for that trip. Around President's Day. 

Anyone else ?

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Road Trips 2022 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 08:34:40 AM »
Provided the Canadian border remains open around July, I'll be taking my 3.5 week moto trip through Labrador & Newfoundland, postponed from last year. My BMW mate will be joining me on the first leg up to L'Anse aux Meadows (the Viking site), and from there I'll explore the island before hopefully catching a small plane to Torngat Nat'l. Park in northern Labrador (logistic details yet to be followed up on for confirmation, thanks for the reminder).

Vikings, lighthouses, whales, icebergs, Basque history, fjords, Inuit, and polar bears, oh my!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:35:43 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 08:56:52 AM »
Several of us retired "GEEZERS" were talking about just this topic yesterday... :thumb:

While the Datil, NM Guzzi Rally is always a big hit in mid-August, we talked about doing something different for 2022.  We will be going to that one again this year... :wink: :cool: :boozing:

Last year, my buddy Mike and I braved the vast Nevada desert to attend the NORCAL Guzzi Rally in Susanville, CA.  It was an adventure and 1,750 miles round trip for us!

My buddy wants to see the Ozarks, and I think there is a rally there in 2022, yes?  Need to look at logistics...

Anyway, always fun to plan... :thumb: :cool: :wink: :boozing: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:20:11 AM »
I'm going to Gibbsonville, ID if it happens.  Datil, of course. Are you guys going back to the one in California by the lake? (forgot the name)
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:20:11 AM »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 10:04:07 AM »
I know that it's only January, but I'm sitting around thinking about road trips for 2022.

Death Valley is on my bucket list, but I'll need to fly and RENT for that trip. Around President's Day. 

Anyone else ?
I thought the Smokey’s was on your 2022 bucket list🤔 trader!😂

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 10:06:21 AM »
I thought the Smokey’s was on your 2022 bucket list🤔 trader!😂

I am heading that way...... but if that trip was on my "bucket list" then Ima need a 55 gallon drum, as many times as we've been there !

:boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 11:04:47 AM »
My big road trip this year will be riding up to Athens, OH to ride the Windy 9 with a few Glide riding friends.  Spend 4 days of riding there.

Then from Athens, OH, head up the west side of Michigan and take the SS Badger across to a Road Glide gathering in Appleton, WI.  A lot more catching up with friends than riding, but there will be riding everyday to somewhere. 

I haven't figured out all my routes, but my planning goal is to avoid as many interstates as practical, and stay as far away from Metropolitan area as possible.  The road trip part of the ride will be solo because I like to stop when I want, ride as long or little as I want, take detours to see or ride something special after talking with locals, etc. 

Other than that trip I still hope to continue to camp in my homebuilt toy hauler at least one weekend a month, weather permitting.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 12:36:35 PM »
I'm going to Gibbsonville, ID if it happens.  Datil, of course. Are you guys going back to the one in California by the lake? (forgot the name)

Lake Henshaw.  East of San Diego.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 12:41:51 PM »
Waiting to see if the Beeg Won is in OH......MGNOC National.  I also have Lake Henshaw, Datil, Gibbonsville, TX, NV and a couple of other state rallies.  Would like to fit in WI, if it goes back to Lake Joy.  Right now I'm waiting on word from the Ironman Committee for St. George, UT for the Ironman Championships in March.  A short hop and a skip from Kona, HI.   :boozing:  Direct flight into PHX and a short ride to St. George, UT.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 12:51:32 PM »
Yep.
The stroke of a pen in the right circles and it’s Mandello on the Norge.
I’d like to go to Nordkapp again and then down through Poland and over to Romania. My goal is to turn over 200,000 km at Lake Como.
This is what it looked like last time.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:30:37 PM by Huzo »

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 01:00:20 PM »
Another one to Wales. Fingers crossed a week in Scotland. And hopefully a week hosting a friend from up north showing him the best bits of Devon and Cornwall, me on the B750 him on his Cali 1100. A lot depends on the financial situation, which is not great for us at present. I have a pretty good job for down here, but Jill has not been able to work as she has a tri weekly rotation with her siblings looking after my mother in law, who has dementia.  :sad:
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 01:56:32 PM »
Yep.
The stroke of a pen in the right circles and it’s Mandello on the Norge.
I’d like to go to Nordkapp again and then down through Poland and over to Romania. My goal is to turn over 200,000 km at Lake Como.
This is what it looked like last time.

Are you no longer looking at the US this year?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
Are you no longer looking at the US this year?
It’s getting highly complicated under the current circumstances Dan.
I’m thinking that there will be a lot of unknowns and I may be better to stick to what I know, as much as possible.
I’ll call you and we can talk.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 02:14:31 PM by Huzo »

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 02:41:57 PM »
A buddy suggested to me last week: bike week at Bonneville. I think it is the week after Datil. Average temp is 89.9;not as hot as I thought it might be.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 02:53:01 PM »
Bike Week at Bonneville.   :thumb:  Last time I was near there, the V11 Sport LeMans Nero didn't have the gas range and I had to pass on the route.  The SP1000 would have been better.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 03:02:42 PM »

Sadly, the SOCAL boys have not schedule and run Lake Henshaw for the last few years...(*SIGH*)
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 03:22:22 PM »
Would love to revisit Grand Marais one more time to ride Gunflint Trail but it's 25 hours from me so 3-day trip one way and I ain't getting any younger  :sad:

Is the Arizona soiree you help throw happening this year?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:28:20 PM by twowings »
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Online guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 04:06:20 PM »
Provided the Canadian border remains open around July, I'll be taking my 3.5 week moto trip through Labrador & Newfoundland, postponed from last year. My BMW mate will be joining me on the first leg up to L'Anse aux Meadows (the Viking site), and from there I'll explore the island before hopefully catching a small plane to Torngat Nat'l. Park in northern Labrador (logistic details yet to be followed up on for confirmation, thanks for the reminder).

Vikings, lighthouses, whales, icebergs, Basque history, fjords, Inuit, and polar bears, oh my!
Wow, I hope it works out for you mate!
This is a trip I too would love to do...
Please take plenty of photos if it does so I can experience it vicariously ha ha
Cheers Guzzler

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 04:38:42 PM »
I'm looking for a little camper van. I would like to trailer my bikes to some new-to-me places and rallies this year. I have the time, scrounging for the energy.  :grin:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 06:45:20 PM »
To answer your question, "I hope so.  It would be nice given the last couple of years."
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 07:17:40 PM »
Prescott thru Moki Dugway into Utah then Zion and Bryce Canyons to Jacobs Lake then home in June. August to Hannigan Meadow to Datil to Van Horn , Texas and stay at the El Capitan then south to Big Bend Texas and Terlingua. On to Langtry for Judge Roy Bean’s Saloon. Back to Prescott.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 08:06:44 PM »
Utah.  Utah.  Utah.   

Ever since I rode there last November I’ve been obsessed with that state.  I’m sure I’ll do a lot of trips next year, and Arkansas and Missouri are always fantastic.  But I really want to explore Utah in some serious detail.  At least one serious trip there planned for 2022, maybe two or three.

Prolly make Moab my base of operations.  That’s only 1,000 miles from home.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

bobrebos

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 03:57:18 AM »
Colorado to visit a nephew and his family on the Gold Wing in July/August time frame and plenty of closer state parks and other campgrounds a little closer to home for weekend jaunts throughout the summer on the Stelvio.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 04:44:13 AM »
I just hope somewhere..  Life got in the way last year, between being away a lot, and a ton of rain, and a full stack of things to do I think I might have put a 100 miles on the bike last year. Just never got to happen sadly.
Paul B

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 06:30:52 AM »
A few in the planning stage
Wales
IoM
Norfolk

Not the mileage you guys ammas, but shou be fun none the less
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 07:01:43 AM »
Utah.  Utah.  Utah.   

Ever since I rode there last November I’ve been obsessed with that state.  I’m sure I’ll do a lot of trips next year, and Arkansas and Missouri are always fantastic.  But I really want to explore Utah in some serious detail.  At least one serious trip there planned for 2022, maybe two or three.

Prolly make Moab my base of operations.  That’s only 1,000 miles from home.

Utah was my favorite state to tour.  Mostly because it is so different than east of the Mississippi  with the Big Sky and curves you can see around.  Of course it also felt like riding on Mars. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 09:13:16 AM »
Several of us retired "GEEZERS" were talking about just this topic yesterday... :thumb:

While the Datil, NM Guzzi Rally is always a big hit in mid-August, we talked about doing something different for 2022.  We will be going to that one again this year... :wink: :cool: :boozing:

Last year, my buddy Mike and I braved the vast Nevada desert to attend the NORCAL Guzzi Rally in Susanville, CA.  It was an adventure and 1,750 miles round trip for us!

My buddy wants to see the Ozarks, and I think there is a rally there in 2022, yes?  Need to look at logistics...

Anyway, always fun to plan... :thumb: :cool: :wink: :boozing: :smiley:

Bikes, blues and BBQ  Fayetteville AR.

Excellent roads.  Eureka Springs.  etc.     :bike-037:

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 10:48:29 AM »
Utah.  Utah.  Utah.   

Ever since I rode there last November I’ve been obsessed with that state.
Utah is a stunning place to ride through.  I did it last year, Moky Dugway, Capitol Reef.  The Hogback. While I did ride through Bryce and Zion, didn't even think about stopping...far too crowded, bumper to bumper, ugh!  The big national parks have become an overcrowded mess during spring and summer.  Wide open roads everywhere else!

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2022, 11:04:53 AM »

Anyone else ?
Virginia and W Virginia in June.  Missed our last 2 years due to - and border. 

Hoping the Canucks remove the testing requirement to get back across the border.  Right now, you need a negative PCR done up to 72 hrs prior to get back in.  And that is for vaxed Cdns too.

Offline Tiki Joe

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 11:35:41 AM »
Bikes, blues and BBQ  Fayetteville AR.

Excellent roads.  Eureka Springs.  etc.     :bike-037:

I rode there the last 2 years.  Funny the Rally was cancelled both years but still thousands of bikers showed up and we had a great time.  Beautiful area to ride!
1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
1993 Ducati Superlight
2015 Harley Road Glide Special
2015 Harley Road King

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here