Author Topic: Uh oh..broken bleeder valve  (Read 2722 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Uh oh..broken bleeder valve
« on: August 15, 2022, 03:50:27 PM »
I changed out the fluid for the front brake on the Aero Lario before the Wisconsin rally. When I put a wrench on the bleeder on the linked brake caliper, it wasn't wanting to move. Thought to my self, "Self.. that sucker will break off and you won't have a bike to ride to the Wisconsin rally." So, I left it and boiled the brakes in Wisconsin twisties. <shrug>
Tackled it today, and sure enough it broke off effortlessly.  :smiley: Plugged the hole, and sprayed it with Liquid Wrench. I'll wait 24 hours and drill and eze out it. Hopefully.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 08:12:44 AM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Uh oh..
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 03:51:31 PM »
Fingers crossed Chuck.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 05:03:08 PM »
Bummer.  Good luck!
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 06:49:57 PM »
“it broke off effortlessly…”

Good to know they don’t fight back!  :thumb: It’s a welcome feature sometimes…!
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 06:49:57 PM »

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 07:00:22 PM »
That's the problem with those new fangled hydraulic brake systems!

Shoes and cables!  That's how brakes should be!!!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 08:06:12 PM »
Thoughts and prayers

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 08:45:07 PM »

That's some mighty fine lathe work on your " plug"  :evil:

Paul B  :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 08:57:03 PM »
can I borrow them brake shoes while your not using em ?

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 09:07:54 PM »
Oh, Man, Chuck. I hate it when that happens!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 10:24:22 PM »
If you have welding skills weld a washer or small nut to what's left, let cool and Bobs your Uncle. DonG

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 10:34:33 PM »
  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 06:00:56 AM »
Thanks for all the extremely helpful comments.. :smiley: :boozing: I was just informed that I have honey dos to do today, so the liquid wrench has another day to work..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 06:52:41 AM »
Thanks for all the extremely helpful comments.. :smiley: :boozing: I was just informed that I have honey dos to do today, so the liquid wrench has another day to work..

Good idea.  Patience is a virtue and time is an ally at times like these.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 07:25:44 AM »
Thanks for all the extremely helpful comments.. :smiley: :boozing:

OK, i'll try (but suspect you may know this already). I sheared off headbolt in a small outboard and had a devil of a time getting the remnants out. Days, months of soaking with PB Blaster and then the homemade special (ATF and acetone) produced zero results as did heat. Moved on to an ez-out. No luck. Some one said try a left hand drill bit and when I inquired as to where, they looked at me dumbstruck and said "how long have you been boating in RI and you don't know about Fuller?" So it was that I learned about WL Fuller who was about 15 minutes from the marina. Turned out the left hand bit didn't work either but using one of their regular drill bits I was able to JUST drill out the remaining stud (using a hand drill cause my shop was so crowded at the time that I couldn't get to the drill press...) and re-tap (using a Fuller tap) the block. Fuller bits (and ez-outs) make regular hardware store/big box bits look they're made of plastic. Best part of the experience, other than fixing the outboard, was when I told the guy at Fuller that I had lived just up the road for more than two decades and never heard of them and he said "we get at least one person a week who comes in and says that".
1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 08:48:04 AM »
I have a special place in my heart for my three cans of Liquid Wrench.  You can never have enough of that stuff
 :boozing:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 01:23:12 PM »
If you have welding skills weld a washer or small nut to what's left, let cool and Bobs your Uncle. DonG

He has the skills. :tongue:

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 04:40:58 PM »

Didn't get to it today, but I'll save the welding until I break the eze out off.. :evil:  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2022, 04:43:05 PM »
I have a special place in my heart for my three cans of Liquid Wrench.  You can never have enough of that stuff
 :boozing:
Ya know, Kevin.. I used to be a fan of AeroKroil.. but honestly I haven't seen anything better than Liquid Wrench after I started using it. Cheap, too. (Guzzi content)  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2022, 05:06:38 PM »
At least there’s already a hole in the middle. That’s more than half the battle.  You got this.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 05:58:22 PM »
I would clock it up in the drill and bore out to the thread tops.
Then collapse the remainder in onto itself, the remains will come out in slivers with judicious use of the correct tap.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2022, 07:12:40 PM »
I would clock it up in the drill and bore out to the thread tops.
Then collapse the remainder in onto itself, the remains will come out in slivers with judicious use of the correct tap.

:thumb:   After breaking my first easy-out (SO poorly named) inside the $#$% screw, I use the drill, peel and tap method too.

The "easy-out" tools rarely work for me. Probably because my car's stuck bolts here in Ottawa tend to be firmly salt water rust welded. The bolts either come out with some penetrant, time and vibration or need to be drilled out.

Winter driving in the rust belt = poor man's loctite! :laugh:

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2022, 07:28:47 PM »
I use never seize on  about everything that doesn't require lock tight. Including bleeder screws  :grin:

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2022, 07:41:02 PM »
:thumb:   After breaking my first easy-out (SO poorly named) inside the $#$% screw, I use the drill, peel and tap method too.

The "easy-out" tools rarely work for me. Probably because my car's stuck bolts here in Ottawa tend to be firmly salt water rust welded. The bolts either come out with some penetrant, time and vibration or need to be drilled out.

Winter driving in the rust belt = poor man's loctite! :laugh:

As someone who grew up in Rochester, NY, I can verify that anyone who owns an automobile in the Rust-caused-by-Salt-Belt should also own an Ox-Acetyline torch with a cutting head..... and a cigarette lighter...   :wink:

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 08:11:45 PM »
No doubt Chuck has this covered. First tool of choice for me would be a left handed twist drill. Center hole already there. I have little luck with easy outs.

Pete

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 09:56:40 PM »
I used to be a fan of AeroKroil.. but honestly I haven't seen anything better than Liquid Wrench after I started using it. Cheap, too. (Guzzi content)  :smiley:

I have a can or two of Aerokroil.  It's good stuff for a lot of applications

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 10:33:55 PM »
Gee Chuck. I'm out of circulation for a couple of days, leave you to your own devices and look what happens! :shocked:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2022, 10:59:08 PM »
Wolfgang Haerter - Mr. Laverda told me how to get stuck bleeders out of a caliper, if the bleeder puts up and struggle fit a box end wrench over the bleeder and tap the tip of the bleeder with a brass hammer while gently applying pressure on the wrench, it may take some serious 'taps' but it will break free though you may have to replace the bleeder.

Put an easy out in and with a small vice grip on the easy out tap away with a brass hammer on the top of the easy out, it will eventually turn out.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2022, 11:34:25 PM »
I use never seize on  about everything that doesn't require lock tight. Including bleeder screws  :grin:

Same here. I rarely use lock tite , instead I use Vibratite. I doesn’t hurt plastics is one reason. I use the nickel based antisneeze because it doesn’t show on exhaust parts like the copper will.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2022, 05:46:57 AM »
Wolfgang Haerter - Mr. Laverda told me how to get stuck bleeders out of a caliper, if the bleeder puts up and struggle fit a box end wrench over the bleeder and tap the tip of the bleeder with a brass hammer while gently applying pressure on the wrench, it may take some serious 'taps' but it will break free though you may have to replace the bleeder.

Put an easy out in and with a small vice grip on the easy out tap away with a brass hammer on the top of the easy out, it will eventually turn out.

Lots of small taps can often win the day.  One of the old time spring loaded center punches can be very useful.  Very convenient for applying a few hundred taps in a short period of time.  Also easy to make the taps "directional" and "localized."

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2022, 05:51:41 AM »
I have a can or two of Aerokroil.  It's good stuff for a lot of applications

I cast my vote for Deep Creep.  Not because of any personal experience of Deep Creep being better than the other popular brands, but due to a comparison I saw on YouTube by a guy who had waaaaaay tooooooo much time on his hands.

PB Blaster v. Deep Creep v. Aerokroil v. Brand X could be the start of a great new series of "Penetrating" Oil Threads or maybe "Penetrating Thread Oils!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here