Author Topic: V50 driveshaft grease  (Read 367 times)

Offline remfanuk

• New Egg
V50 driveshaft grease
« on: August 17, 2022, 10:22:19 AM »
Hi.
I am about to reassemble the rear drive unit on my '79 V50.  There are remnants of old grease in the swingarm from the drive shaft of which the universal joint still has some in.  What grease should I put in it and how much as I can't find reference in the workshop manual?  I have some moly grease and wondering if that will be correct?  thanks.

i have some of this... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlube-XMM500-Moly-Grease/dp/B004O2DRPA?th=1
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:24:02 AM by remfanuk »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V50 driveshaft grease
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 11:08:36 AM »
The gearbox output shaft splines as well as the rear drive splines should be greased with a specific spline grease which is extra clingy and wont get spun off like what you found inside your shaft tube. Many here like the Wirth 3000 spline grease . I have been using BMW's brand from a local shop. Also, a marine outdrive spline lube is  excellent for this application. Don't forget to grease both inner and outer  sides of the hollow spline adapter on the rear drive end. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 11:10:06 AM by lucian »

Offline remfanuk

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 01:14:54 PM »
Thanks.  i cannot find a stockist in the uk for the wurth sig3000.  i have found the bmw type you may have been referring to here...https://bmw.europe-moto.com/gb/motorcycle-oils-consumables-bmw-motorrad/7527-bmw-lubrifiant-staburags-nbu-30-ptm-50g.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=3&gclid=CjwKCAjwo_KXBhAaEiwA2RZ8hCKBm_ztKPYhZnjCuThKVXQ4QwQZDSOz-wmPWFTOlVY55fd3dEYmKBoChPIQAvD_BwE

typically, how much would you squeeze into this application?  cheers.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 01:51:36 PM »
I use a plumbers flux brush or small paint brush to just paint a thin coat of spline lube on all drive splines. The rear drive gears and bearings should be pre lubed lightly with gear oil during assembly. Once assembled and installed on the bike, the rear drive housing is filled with .16 liters of 85/140 hypoid gear oil with .010 liters of molybdenum additive. Liquid Moly is a common brand here or  molycote. 

Here's a link to your service manual : Fluids and capacities are all here:
   https://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/V35V50V65_041983_Atelier(GB).pdf

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 01:51:36 PM »

Offline remfanuk

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 01:37:28 AM »
Thanks...i have ordered LIQUI MOLY 2591 Oil additive and flux brushes and will put a think coat on all the splines.  i have also ordered the bmw lubricant in the link on my previous reply.  thanks for your help.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here