General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

V7 Sport build the sequal SOLD

<< < (2/23) > >>

canuck750:
Oh Dear!!! :o
 I think I corrected that before I buttoned it up but now my dim memory can't be 100% certain, time to pull a head I guess and be certain. I had the pistons off a couple times and I know the big cut out is for the larger intake valve and the arrow point to the front (exhaust), can't say why the hell I took the picture with the piston backwards????

Thanks Charlie, you have a good eye

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: canuck750 on August 30, 2014, 11:20:35 AM ---Oh Dear!!! :o
 I think I corrected that before I buttoned it up but now my dim memory can't be 100% certain, time to pull a head I guess and be certain. I had the pistons off a couple times and I know the big cut out is for the larger intake valve and the arrow point to the front (exhaust), can't say why the hell I took the picture with the piston backwards????

Thanks Charlie, you have a good eye

--- End quote ---

If you have access to a good quality borescope, perhaps that would help determine which way it's assembled without disassembly.

canuck750:
Hi Charlie, I was thinking the same thought, no access to a bore scope and I can't justify the cost of one.  I tried a micro light through the spark plug but couldn't tell for sure so I pulled the heads, assembled correct, better safe than sorry!

Cheers

Jim

canuck750:
Installed fresh swing arm bearings today, 1st to get the old ones out

Blind bearing puller is the only sure way to get the tight fitting races out, these removal kits are available from Harbour Freight or Princess Auto for a reasonable price and are very handy tools for transmissions, swing arms etc.

Then in with the new parts

Pressing in the new races

Then the U joint carrier bearing, I machined up this aluminum driver for an earlier build

This little Harbour Freight bench top press is just right for a small work space and is very handy for all kinds of jobs

Properly seated with no drama

New snap ring

grease the tapered swing arm bearings, the old fashioned by hand way my dad taught me 40 years ago

new seal

In goes the zinc plated shaft and coupler

Bolted on the rear drive and protected the fresh powder with old blue jean strips.

Mark Ethrdige sold me a nice rear drive off a 850T with cush drive, he went through it and installed new seals, should be nice and quiet, came with a good used U joint as well. Mark is the best for sourcing good used and reconditioned parts.

Cam3512:
Nice work Jim.  I can only imagine teaming up you, Charlie, and Joe W. into one restoration shop.  When I win the lottery, you'll all be based in NJ - huge shop, unlimited budget.  It'll Spank Cycle Garden.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version