Author Topic: My new (to me) 1967 V700  (Read 9268 times)

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
My new (to me) 1967 V700
« on: March 21, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »
Hey all,

I've been lurking here for a couple days as I waited for the day to roll around when I could go pick up my new Guzzi!

I've been outside with her all day, and now that I'm losing daylight, it's time to come in and post some pics and questions.

This is my new bike.  It's a 1967 V700.  Just over 5000 original miles (which I believe because I have the original sales receipts, and photos from along it's life).  Apparently, this bike was purchased in the Detroit area in 1968, and not ridden much.  The guy I bought it from found it in a barn, stored without the heads on for 13 years.  He did a heck of a job bringing it back to life...rechromed the pistons etc...and he hasn't ridden it much since about 2001.  So, I'm resurrecting it from it's second hibernation. 

Today, we put a fresh battery on, fresh plugs and some new gas in the tank, and after about 30 seconds it fired right up!

I was able to ride it home...only about a mile and a half on side streets.

This week, I plan to go through the carbs, change all the fluids, check the tires etc...

I do have a couple questions for you guys...first, is that damn heel to toe shifter.  It's going to take some getting used to, shifting on the right.  I kept stabbing at the rear brakes while my left foot reflexively tried to downshift to first gear at stop signs.    This shifter seems really high to me.  I'm a tall guy, 6 ft 2, and it's really uncomfortable to lift my foot off the peg every time I need to shift.  Is there a way to lower the thing?  It sits about 3 inches higher than the foot peg on that side.

Also, has anyone had luck with replacing it with a standard (toe) shifter?  If this is the original, I don't want to cut it...but would I have any luck finding something to go onto the spline?

Next question for now.  The only thing it's missing is the left side tool box.  I've seen some boxes on eBay, but they're for Ambassadors or Eldo's.  Any idea if this would be the same size or fit?

I just took some pics, as soon as I can figure out how to upload the things, I'll post em.

Thanks!!

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: My new (to me) 1967 V700
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:28:54 PM »
tool boxes should be the same as all loop frames.

you can swap parts from an Ambo/Eldo to move shift to left side.

host pics elsewhere and copy/paste here with the IMG code

so it's silver and a really nice red color? still have the 29mm carbs with remote float bowl? best to get some 30's off an ambo..

GOOD FOR YOU, the grand daddy v-twin..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
Well the next thing you need to do is NOT start the bike again until you search "chrome bore" and confirm you do or do not have them. There are 100's of threads on the topic. Please educate yourself.

If you want to get rid of the right side shift and convert to a traditional lefty I am interested the all the right side shift stuff.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:31:41 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:41:38 PM »
Perazzimx...thanks for the warm welcome.   ;D

The bores were Nikasil coated in 2001....I have the receipt.  Definitely going to inspect them and make sure that all is tip top before running her again.

I'm not really interested in switching to left side shift, I can get used to it, and want to run this bike stock.  I'm more interested in a lower shifter...something in-line or lower than the peg.  I attached a pic.  I'm tall and have big feet...I feel like a contortionist working that gear shifter.

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 06:42:29 PM »
Thanks for the info, fotoguzzi!

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 06:49:14 PM »

...rechromed the pistons etc...and he hasn't ridden it much since about 2001.  So, I'm resurrecting it from it's second hibernation.
Well the next thing you need to do is NOT start the bike again until you search "chrome bore" and confirm you do or do not have them.

Sounds like something may have been done to rectify the chrome bores, hopefully Nikasil replating. But, like you say, best to check to be sure.

Today, we put a fresh battery on, fresh plugs and some new gas in the tank, and after about 30 seconds it fired right up!

check the tires etc...

Look at the date code on the tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11 If they're over five years old, I'd recommend you replace the tires no matter how good the tread looks.

I do have a couple questions for you guys...first, is that damn heel to toe shifter.  It's going to take some getting used to, shifting on the right.  I kept stabbing at the rear brakes while my left foot reflexively tried to downshift to first gear at stop signs.    This shifter seems really high to me.  I'm a tall guy, 6 ft 2, and it's really uncomfortable to lift my foot off the peg every time I need to shift.  Is there a way to lower the thing?  It sits about 3 inches higher than the foot peg on that side.

Also, has anyone had luck with replacing it with a standard (toe) shifter?  If this is the original, I don't want to cut it...but would I have any luck finding something to go onto the spline?

The forward "toe" portion should be level with the right footpeg, with the "heel" sticking up. If it's not, the pedal can be removed from the shaft by simply loosening the pinch bolt, sliding it off of the splines and repositioning it. Right foot shift becomes second nature after 70k miles.  ;)

You could replace it with a "toe only" shifter as used on some '70 and '71 Ambassadors. However, you'd need to modify it somewhat - remove the toe peg and flip it to the right side, heat and bend the pedal to the right instead of the left.  

Next question for now.  The only thing it's missing is the left side tool box.  I've seen some boxes on eBay, but they're for Ambassadors or Eldo's.  Any idea if this would be the same size or fit?

All of the Loop toolboxes will fit, but only V700 and early Ambassador toolboxes with knobs (vs. locks) will be correct.

You're welcome to join us "Loopers" over on the Loopframe Guzzi Yahoo Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Loopframe_Guzzi/info

And, if you haven't already found it, there's lots of very useful info. here:
http://thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe.html
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 06:55:05 PM »
tool boxes should be the same as all loop frames.

you can swap parts from an Ambo/Eldo to move shift to left side.

so it's silver and a really nice red color? still have the 29mm carbs with remote float bowl? best to get some 30's off an ambo..

GOOD FOR YOU, the grand daddy v-twin..

Only V700 and early Ambo toolboxes have the (correct) knobs (vs. locks on later ones).

V700s have no right side pivot/support for the brake shaft, so one would need to be added in order to switch foot controls right to left.

Ambo and Eldo have VHB29s, V7 Sport and later had 30s. Either one works equally well with proper manifolds and jetting.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:56:35 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »

Look at the date code on the tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11 If they're over five years old, I'd recommend you replace the tires no matter how good the tread looks.

The forward "toe" portion should be level with the right footpeg, with the "heel" sticking up. If it's not, the pedal can be removed from the shaft by simply loosening the pinch bolt, sliding it off of the splines and repositioning it. Right foot shift becomes second nature after 70k miles.  ;)

You could replace it with a "toe only" shifter as used on some '70 and '71 Ambassadors. However, you'd need to modify it somewhat - remove the toe peg and flip it to the right side, heat and bend the pedal to the right instead of the left.  

All of the Loop toolboxes will fit, but only V700 and early Ambassador toolboxes with knobs (vs. locks) will be correct.

Awesome info!  Good call on the date codes for the tires.  I'll check them right away. 

Looks like the shifter might not be installed correctly.  I think that moving it to level with the peg will be a good first step. 

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 07:10:48 PM »
What a beauty. I don't blame you for keeping behind a chain link fence , protected by a killer guard dog.

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »
What a beauty. I don't blame you for keeping behind a chain link fence , protected by a killer guard dog.

Ha!  This is Detroit, after all.  Gotta keep a killer weiner dog surrounding all of your valuables here.   ;)

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 07:13:26 PM »
What a great ride!! Hope you enjoy her.

Maybe get a doggy box and some "doggles" and take that attack dog for a ride!!!

Ride safe and often,

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
I have an early 1969 Ambo which is pretty much the same bike. I looked into changing the shifter as well. Seemed like to much trouble (I'm lazy) so I adapted to the bike. You can and well get used to it. I'm also a big guy with a size 12 shoe. a little re-positioning does wonders. your seat looks a bit flat. A thicker one will raise you and might help.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:24:59 PM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »

Yep. There are several subtle differences in the V700s. It's my favorite loop.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 07:16:54 PM »
Mark has tons of old parts and pristine fully restored 67 V700  He's a very interesting guy.

http://www.motoguzziclassics.com/

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
Congrats on the bike.  Listen to Charlie an join the Yahoo Loopframe group for the "right" answers.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 07:47:18 PM »
Congratulations on your Loopframe!    You will LOVE that bike. 

I'm originally from Detroit.....what area of Detroit  do you live in?

Also, I want to recommend that you take seriously any info you get from Charlie Mullendore.  He know a lot of answers to a lot
of bike questions but for Loopframes.....he is one of the best.

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 08:10:20 PM »
Yeah you did good.....real good by your discription.  And Charlie has answers, welcome....

Mark

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 08:39:58 PM »
Wayne,
Was the seller named Tom or Gary?
My Detroit barn find came thru them.   ;D
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 07:35:04 AM »
Congratulations on your Loopframe!    You will LOVE that bike. 

I'm originally from Detroit.....what area of Detroit  do you live in?

I already love it!

I'm in Ferndale, and work in New Center.  Where were you from?

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 07:36:13 AM »
Wayne,
Was the seller named Tom or Gary?
My Detroit barn find came thru them.   ;D

Neither Tom nor Gary!

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 08:33:44 AM »
Dick ?  ;D Not you , the seller

Nope, neither one of us.

His name is Pat.  Not sure if he ever spent any time on the forums...

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 09:49:02 AM »
Welcome to the '700 Club', I have 3. A 67,68,69. Got them in the early 90's when no one wanted them. Then everyone was restoring Eldo's and Ambo's.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
Welcome to the '700 Club', I have 3. A 67,68,69. Got them in the early 90's when no one wanted them. Then everyone was restoring Eldo's and Ambo's.

Still a lot like that. "Ooh, I want an Eldo, not an Ambo or V700. Gotta' have that extra 87 or 141 cc and a 5th gear don't ya know."  ;D
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »
Still a lot like that. "Ooh, I want an Eldo, not an Ambo or V700. Gotta' have that extra 87 or 141 cc and a 5th gear don't ya know."  ;D

OH yeah.   The famous "10 or 15 More Horsepower"!
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Motogogo

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
Congratulations on your new old Guzzi, don't be afraid to wind up the RPMs ... that's where the music get made.
I'd get a spare clutch cable and a set of points for the tool box ... these are the most likely parts to fail.
Yeah fun bike to ride, I've got 25 years of riding out of mine so far, kind of like riding a buffalo with reversed shifter, you'll learn to love it.

Have a Blast!

68 V700
850 T crusty specimen
Welch, Minnesota

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 01:05:20 PM »
Congratulations on your new old Guzzi, don't be afraid to wind up the RPMs ... that's where the music get made.
I'd get a spare clutch cable and a set of points for the tool box ... these are the most likely parts to fail.
Yeah fun bike to ride, I've got 25 years of riding out of mine so far, kind of like riding a buffalo with reversed shifter, you'll learn to love it.

Have a Blast!

I'm still running the same points that were in the bike when I bought it 18 years ago. Have replaced the condenser, cap and rotor once each though. On my 3rd clutch cable - original factory cable broke the first year of my ownership, the replacement lasted up until the MD/DC Rally last Sept., has a nice Barnett cable on it now.
Charlie

Offline wayne.maki

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 07:43:52 PM »

Have a Blast!

Thanks for the advice!  I'm a little hesitant to wind the Guzzi up...at least at first.  My previous bikes were 4 cylinder Honda's...with tachs. I felt more comfortable knowing where the redline was.  I'm sure it'll become second nature with time.

And ordering a new clutch cable and a set of points right away.  Good pointer!

canuck750

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 10:38:04 PM »
Beautiful  looking bike, I think it's the sharpest and cleanest of the Loops. Saw a very, very early one at Cycle Garden last week serial number 005!

Jim

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 11:27:25 PM »
The 4-speeds wind good.  They also don't mind being driven like a Volkswagen.  My Ambo could do easy acceleration (keeping up with everyone else) in 4th, from 25 to freeway speeds.  Or you can do the merge lane in second and be past everyone by 4th.  I found myself limited more by the loop suspension than the horsepower.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here