General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Sp 1000 Oil leak

(1/3) > >>

huklbery:
Hi folks I have been wrestling with a significant oil leak since I bought the bike recently.  It seems to be transmission related as the oil smells rank like transmission oil, as well as after changing the oil a check after a couple hours at freeway speed it appears to be about 1/4 of the .75 capacity low or roughly 8oz lower.   I had to change out the U Joint and added both a new boot front and rear o ring.  After pulling the swingarm, it does not look like there is anything going on past the trany drive spline the U joint remains clean of oil.

Frankly I'm baffled, the outside of the drive shaft swing-arm gets coated and the rear wheel flings it everywhere.  Bikes following get signification oil flung on them as well.  From the top of the shock on the right to the bottom it has a serious coat of oil.   At rest I do seem to have a drop now and again from the clutch bearing area. 

Groover:
Other than the missing oil you measure, the rest to me sounds like a bad final drive seal. (The big one you see when you take the wheel off). Mine failed recently, and oil was all over the drive shaft tube on the swingarm like you describe, all over the rear wheel, inside the fender, etc.

You can post stuff like this (questions) in the general section. Maybe a moderator can move it.

huklbery:

--- Quote from: Groover on June 04, 2017, 06:33:24 PM ---Other than the missing oil you measure, the rest to me sounds like a bad final drive seal. (The big one you see when you take the wheel off). Mine failed recently, and oil was all over the drive shaft tube on the swingarm like you describe, all over the rear wheel, inside the fender, etc.

You can post stuff like this (questions) in the general section. Maybe a moderator can move it.

--- End quote ---

I tilted the swing arm assembly forward and a fair amount of oil leaked out.  It has a vented cap with a plastic tube routed forward then around to just past the shock upper mount.  What does the sealing?  From the parts blow out diagram I only see a couple gaskets referenced. 

Groover:
Sounds like someone modified the cap to be vented, probably to help stop (or hope to) a previous leak issue due to pressure buildup in the final drive. If I'm understanding this correctly, you are tipping the swingarm up and you see oil leak from the u-joint area?

If that is the case, nothing really seals the oil from the final drive from going up the shaft. Maybe a little from the sealed carrier bearing (which are typically of the sealed type) but I wouldn't really consider that a seal-seal.

If Molybdenum Disulfide was used in the final drive, the oil will be almost black and will be easy to tell the difference between the transmission oil. If that wasn't used, it's hard to tell the difference.

Take a look at this thread and see if it helps some.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=86432.new;topicseen#new

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: huklbery on June 04, 2017, 06:54:50 PM ---I tilted the swing arm assembly forward and a fair amount of oil leaked out.  It has a vented cap with a plastic tube routed forward then around to just past the shock upper mount.  What does the sealing?  From the parts blow out diagram I only see a couple gaskets referenced.

--- End quote ---

Oil would leak out when the swingarm/rear drive is tilted downward/forward - there are no seals on the pinion/input shaft. Also, there is no "vented cap with plastic tube" from the factory, so someone has added that.

Seals are numbers 25 and 45 in the diagram below.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version