Author Topic: New Guy, New Question  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: New Guy, New Question
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
In my experience the V9 doesn’t need to be revved as high as other smallblocks. Max torque for the V9 comes in at 3,000 rpm, compared to 4,900 for the V7 III. Both deliver max hp at 6,200. So you can wring it out when you like, but you don’t always have to in daily riding.

OK, if we're all ready for a detour off into the weeds, you brought up an interesting point that made me start to wonder and dig (I really should catch a ride on a V9 myself to compare the motors some more). But that not being an option at this moment I find the following interesting when analyzing your point here about potential differences in feel between the V7III and  V9.

1. Guzzi CLAIMS peak torque at 3000 rpm on all the V9 models. Interestingly Motorcycle.com has a dyno sheet that claims 3200 rpm, and Rider magazine has one that claims 3500 rpm.

2. Regardless of these claims it looks like the V9 torque curve is VERY flat, and between about 2800 - 6400 rpm the V9 appears to be making 87-91%+ of it's peak torque (and that's at the beginning and end of the curve). If I were to limit that curve to say 3000-6000 rpm I would estimate it is making at least 95-96% of total torque the ENTIRE range.

To put numbers on this it peaks at about 46-47 ft. lbs., and is making above 40 ft. lbs. 2800-6400, and probably more like ~44 ft. lbs. 3000-6000.

So judging JUST from that I can't see why peak would make such a difference (though I admit there may be more variables in terms of harmonic balance etc.).

Now let's compare/contrast the V7III

1. Guzzi claims a peak torque of 4900 rpm, which would at a glance suggest a different feel. (And ironically this is a bit higher than the claimed 2800 rpm peak of the V7II, the 5000 rpm claimed peak of the V7 MkI, and the 3600 rpm claimed peak of the V7C). Dizzy yet?

2. Again, regardless of the claimed peaks, the Motorcycle.com dyno sheet is showing that the V7III is making 40 ft. lbs. of torque by about 2700 rpm, and keeps making AT LEAST that past the peak at 4800 rpm all the way to about 6200 rpm. The slightly smaller V7III motor makes a peak of only 44 ft. lbs, so that entire range it is making at least 91% of peak torque. And interestingly enough it's within about 2-4 ft. lbs. of the V9 the entire way.

So there may be differences in sweet spot, but I suspect strongly that either has a similar acceptable range, and certainly are closer in overall ability than they are different.

I think it's that relatively flat torque curve that allows such a vast year-to-year discrepancy in a number of smallblock motor design peak tq ratings. The peak rated rpm seems to jump from spot to spot almost randomly.

Now we could also analyze hp and really drive ourselves nuts.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:54:58 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »
The dealer is in Greensboro, NC. The shop is like 75% Indian Motorcycles 10% Polaris Slingshot and 15% Moto Guzzi.

He's got another one but I won't be able to get off work for awhile to ride it. I'll do the pull clutch test on that one if it behaves the same way.

I figured that the Guzzi community is a pretty great resource and that I would do most of the wrenching on it myself.

I do appreciate the feedback! Thank you.
___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »
You’re right, Kev. Reading that did make me dizzy!

But my highly sensitive seat-of-the-pants dynotach bolsters my original conclusion. My old 2010 V7 and a few medium-distance rides on II and III models left me with the impression that they all wanted to shift and cruise at higher revs than the V9.

Granted there is no tach on the Roamer, but I’m familiar enough with the sound and feel to tell that it’s not lugging at rpms where a V7 wouldn’t be as comfortable. Maybe it’s a difference in a few horsepower or cogs in the transmission, or placebo effect or creeping senility. Whatever it is, the V9 seems to pull more easily in the midrange and need less downshifting.

Either way, it doesn’t vibrate noticeably at 60 in any gear. On that we can agree to agree.
 :boozing:
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
You’re right, Kev. Reading that did make me dizzy!

But my highly sensitive seat-of-the-pants dynotach bolsters my original conclusion. My old 2010 V7 and a few medium-distance rides on II and III models left me with the impression that they all wanted to shift and cruise at higher revs than the V9.

Granted there is no tach on the Roamer, but I’m familiar enough with the sound and feel to tell that it’s not lugging at rpms where a V7 wouldn’t be as comfortable.

I appreciate your observations and don't doubt you at all that there is a difference. Whether one might be sensitive to it or not might differ a bit.

I'll repeat that early on with my V7 I Jay and I both felt a difference riding it back-to-back with his V7C (and we noted a maybe 300 rpm difference).

I already think I feel a difference in the rides I've taken on V7IIIs, meaning that I thought they are happier at even a lower rpm still, but I'd sure like to ride them immediately one after the other to confirm that as I could be bringing my own bias or expectations into that (especially when riding the new one without a tach).

So I'm looking forward to spring where we can ride my V7 I back-to-back with Jenn's new V7III (and maybe Jay's V7III Special since that has a tach) for more impressions.

I should note that my V7I definitely loosened up after break-in and that initial comparison so it would be interesting to find another V7C to throw in the mix.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:36:51 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
Is it difficult to use the Guzzi app for smartphones to get rpm?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 12:08:04 PM »

I haven't tried. I'm not sure if it requires any additional purchases on the V7. And if it does it's probably not worth pursuing for us (I just don't see us using it or the other functions regularly). Though if it's cheap enough it would be handy for comparison, diagnostics, and maybe getting used to the bike. Though I THINK I can mostly do the latter using the shift light.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »
Jeez I must be a clueless bugger.
I thought you were joking..!

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
I’m not!   I don’t know much about it, but it allows the user to access all kinds of info, including turning your phone into a tach.   I think it’s available on all new moto Guzzi.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
I’m not!   I don’t know much about it, but it allows the user to access all kinds of info, including turning your phone into a tach.   I think it’s available on all new moto Guzzi.

Looks like you need ~$340 in accessories:

$60 ECM connection kit.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=87239

$220 multimedia ECU

Plus some sort of phone holder/ram mount

$60

If I'm understanding it correctly your phone Bluetooth connects to the multimedia ECM that wires into the actual ECM/throttle body assembly.

I'd need to want to use way more than just the tach function for that. And I know Jenn dgaf.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here