Author Topic: Best roads in New Mexico?  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Bill

• Gosling
Best roads in New Mexico?
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »
Considering touring New Mexico this September. Would love to read some expert's   recommendations.  Also concerning weather patterns  is Sept a good month for touring NM?
Thanks, Bill

oldbike54

Re: Best roads in New Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:54:42 PM »
 Remembering highway numbers is a weakness for me , but the road that runs West from I 25 to Eagles Nest the on to Red River is fun , just watch for tar strips along the first stretch , unless it has been repaved . Then there is the road running out of Des Moines NM to the NW .

Sept should be fine for weather .

Dusty

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 05:32:49 PM »
Rte 180 combined with 191 in Az is good. Also Rtes 4 & 64; the Enchanted Circle, High Road to Taos; Turquoise Trail; Rte 96.

If you're around Santa Fe, get in touch.

Rich A

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
The roads North, South and East of Taos are great rides.  The road west has the spectacular Rio Grande bridge and desert.  The rides are nice to Cimarron, Angel Fire, Red River, Taos Ski Lodge and Las Vegas.  I'll bet the ride to Santa Fe is good too.  Taos is great all on it's own.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 05:47:04 PM »
Sept. is about best month for weather (now you are jinxed). 

A few good roads:
-NM152 between Santa Clara (near Silver City) and I25 is near the top of my list
-NM15 running north from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings Nat. Monument, but I would say don't embark on this trip without expecting it to take most of the day.  And you WILL be worn out by all the curves. 
-NM12 between Datil and Reserve
-NM32 between Apache Creek and Quemado (this road intersects NM12, and you can make a loop of them)
-NM36 north out of Quemado to NM53 to Grants (I40)
-NM75 and 76 between Dixon and Espanola
-NM4 between Jemez Pueblo and White Rock (includes a section of well grade dirt)
-NM17 between Chama and Antonio, CO (if the aspens are turned, this road is absolutely spectacular)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:55:13 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 05:53:29 PM »
Oh yes, as mentioned by LowRyter, the Rio Grande Gorge bridge on US64 west of Taos is a must see.  You want to stop here and walk out on the bridge. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »
And just one more if you happen to be in the area of Shiprock in NW NM.  If you fire up Google maps, just a few miles south of Shiprock, Indian Service Road 13 takes off to the west.  You can follow this road to Lukachukai, AZ.  There is a section of this road near Lukachukai that is one of the most amazing roads I have ever ridden, but it is in AZ.  Also, it is best ridden from AZ to NM, west to east.  The road was recently repacked as well.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:06:47 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Online Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
-NM15 running north from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings Nat. Monument, but I would say don't embark on this trip without expecting it to take most of the day.  And you WILL be worn out by all the curves.

and, be aware that the highway department evidently thinks you should pay more attention to the road and not rely on shoulders to save you...

Bill,
Do you have a planned central town for your trip, or are you wandering about?  How many days do you expect and is there a general area you have in mind?  It's a pretty big place and there are hardly any bad spots.  Even the freeways are not too bad.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:11:08 PM by Daniel Kalal »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 08:15:46 PM »
Rte 180 combined with 191 in Az is good. Also Rtes 4 & 64; the Enchanted Circle, High Road to Taos; Turquoise Trail; Rte 96.

If you're around Santa Fe, get in touch.

Rich A

Agreed...also, the roads around Datil and Reserve, NM...("The Plains of St. Augustine...) - - by the VLA.

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 08:52:02 PM »
A couple of years ago, Lee Davis was begging people to come and ride his bikes around them parts and if they got sick of that he’d take them cruising in his 20 metre yacht..!
No takers.. :rolleyes:

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 05:59:59 AM »
Rt. 152 through the Black Range near the Gila Wilderness is a nice ride.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 06:08:51 AM »
If I ever get out there, I'll be checking out the Extraterrestrial Highway.

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 07:36:24 AM »
Oh yes, as mentioned by LowRyter, the Rio Grande Gorge bridge on US64 west of Taos is a must see.  You want to stop here and walk out on the bridge.
I really liked this road west towards Chama.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:50 AM »

HWY 285 north of Tres Piedras

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 08:25:03 AM »

a sign in Corona, New Mexico.

Actually, I believe the Extraterrestrial Highway is in Nevada, but certainly, there's plenty of likeminded kookyness to go around...

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 08:32:18 AM »
a sign in Corona, New Mexico.

Actually, I believe the Extraterrestrial Highway is in Nevada, but certainly, there's plenty of likeminded kookyness to go around...
My bad, thought it was near Roswell NM. Good to know the truth is out there.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »

Nevada State Highway 375 north of Las Vegas Nevada.  Rachel Nevada is the epicenter of the ET Highway.

It's proximity to Area 51 is the reason for all the interest.

Rachel NV is 800 miles west of Taos New Mexico. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel,_Nevada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_State_Route_375

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 08:47:45 AM »

Actually, the Roswell crash was closer to Corona.  The debris was collected at the base in Roswell.
John L 

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
Nevada State Highway 375 north of Las Vegas Nevada.  Rachel Nevada is the epicenter of the ET Highway.

It's proximity to Area 51 is the reason for all the interest.

Rachel NV is 800 miles west of Taos New Mexico. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel,_Nevada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_State_Route_375
That's just a hop, skip and a jump, in your space ship. May the force be with you!

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »
Actually, the Roswell crash was closer to Corona.  The debris was collected at the base in Roswell.
Those aliens sure are litterbugs

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 08:56:19 AM »
 Unfortunately the *truth* isn't out there . Lots of money to be made claiming there is a mystery that some folks know the secret to , they really don't have any secret knowledge . No mystery to spooklights , no crashed UFO's , no little green men being held captive . Any species from another planet capable of faster than light travel would simply overwhelm our puny technology and either take us out , or come to dominate us .

Dusty

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 09:03:05 AM »
Unfortunately the *truth* isn't out there . Lots of money to be made claiming there is a mystery that some folks know the secret to , they really don't have any secret knowledge . No mystery to spooklights , no crashed UFO's , no little green men being held captive . Any species from another planet capable of faster than light travel would simply overwhelm our puny technology and either take us out , or come to dominate us .

Dusty
You say that now, but someday you might be some alien's play toy, then what?  :shocked:
Besides, maybe they are just sitting back, laughing their rears off, waiting until we destroy each other.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 09:09:14 AM »

September is dry in New Mexico.  The monsoons end around labor day weekend, and snow usually doesn't fly until mid-October.

September can be warm in the daytime with temps in places like Taos and Santa Fe seeing mid-80s.  Nights are cool with lows in the 30s and 40s.  The 40 temperature swings from morning to afternoon, which are due to high elevation and low humidity can be a challenge to dress for on the motorcycle.  Be sure and dress in layers that can easily be added or taken off.  Even with daytime temps in the 80s at 7,000 feet, when you venture up to 10,000 feet on the passes, it can be 30 degrees cooler.  The temps decrease throughout the month.  First week of September, you may see temps of 85/45.  At the end of September, you may see 75/35.  Though September is between the monsoons and the snow, keep in mind that thunderstorms are possible in mountains throughout the month, and frosty mornings and snow are possible toward the end of the month.

Things are quiet the first week of the month, with school getting back in session after Labor Day Weekend, and most tourists gone.  Late in the month, Aspens begin to turn yellow, and the harvest festivals are happening the last week of the month, so tourists numbers are increased.

If you're looking for a place to base out of, and ride loops, you can't beat Taos.  It's a walkable town with lots of food, entertainment, and shopping.  Plus, nice roads are only minutes from your hotel room in every direction.  For lodging, I like El Pueblo and Taos Inn, but there are many choices.  Hotel, Motel, and AirBnB, etc.  Just be sure and book something that's walkable to the plaza.

US-64 west is nice.  The Gorge Bridge is a must-see.  The section between Tres Piedras and Tierra Amarilla is fantastic.  You can grab highway 17 at Chama and loop back through southern Colorado to get back to Taos.  Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is at Chama and Antonito.  Highway 17 is fantastic.

US-64 east to Cimarron is another fantastic ride.  Great place to eat is the St. James Hotel in Cimarron.  Breakfast or lunch. 

A lesser known road is NM-434 south from Angel Fire to Mora.  I like to include it in a loop from Taos.  South from Taos on NM-518.  North at Mora on NM-434 to Angel Fire and Eagle Nest.  Then NM-38 to Red River and Questa.  Then NM-522 back into Taos.    It's a 150 mile loop with lots to see, so you can spend all day on it.

If you want to run to Santa Fe, there is the low road and the high road.  Low road follows the Rio Grande.  High road follows the mountains.  You can make it a loop.  NM-68 south to Espanola.  US-285 into Santa Fe.  Then, US-285 North to Pojoaque, NM-503 to NM-98 to Chimayo.  You can eat at Rancho de Chimayo and check out Santaurio de Chimayo.  Then take NM-76, NM-75, and NM-518 back into Taos. 

You'll only scratch the surface in one trip.  There is lots to see and do, and lots of riding, in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 12:02:58 PM »
Rocker, I would add the rim road on the way to the Taos ski lodge, great view.

So far as Dusty and UFOs, well, there are folks in Roswell that were there, saw it and insist it's true.  I've know folks that lived and worked at places in Nevada that said the same thing.  Me?  I didn't believe them when they told me and then years later I see it in the press.  I am not sure what to think.  Folks in NM and CO believe it in regard to cattle mutilations.  I've known folks camping that in the Rockies that have seen UFOs.  I believe they saw something.   

But I do get a kick out of seeing those Open Range - UFO signs on 285 in the desert. 
John L 

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 12:05:05 PM »
I can't add anymore to the roads that have been mentioned.  You really have to work at finding a "bad" motorcycle road in New Mexico!

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
 Why are there no credible pictures of UFO's ? People believe they have seen all types of things , but somehow there is never a real picture .

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 12:33:48 PM »
Rocker, I would add the rim road on the way to the Taos ski lodge, great view.

Yes.  The roads to Taos Ski Valley and Ski Santa Fe are good ones!  They're deadend, up and back.  But, a person has time, they're good fun!  Not too busy in early September, but can have lots of leaf peepers at the end of the month.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
The road the on backside (east) from between Santa Fe and Albuquerque is good run, the ride up Sandia Peak is great.  There's tramway down to Albuquerque and a hippie town going towards Santa Fe (don't speed through there, kids playing on the road).
John L 

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2019, 01:41:05 PM »
The road the on backside (east) from between Santa Fe and Albuquerque is good run, the ride up Sandia Peak is great.  There's tramway down to Albuquerque and a hippie town going towards Santa Fe (don't speed through there, kids playing on the road).

I think the hippie town you are referring to is Madrid.  The road through there is also a good one, and Madrid is an interesting stop.  It was made famous by being the setting for the movie Wild Hogs, which has made it a bit of a motorcycle tourist attraction. 
In other related trivia, the Mine Shaft Tavern in Madrid is the interior setting for the Red Pony Bar in the TV series Longmire, which is a very good show. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:48:18 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here