Author Topic: Color of Header Pipes  (Read 3607 times)

Bill Hagan

Color of Header Pipes
« on: July 13, 2017, 04:20:36 AM »

So long as the header pipes on my Guzzis have been more or less the same, I have never minded the, getting discolored, even blotchy, etc.  I don't look for cleaners and other ways to return them to their showroom state.  Sort of a "ride 'em, don't hide 'em" and "chicks dig scars" sort of thing.  :laugh:

But I have never really understood the meaning of blue v. gold v. other shades, etc., tho I do understand that it is tied into lean, rich, or other heat-caused changes.

So, tho it's only July, I turn to this august group  :wink: for guidance on whether what these pix -- at foot of post -- show is good, bad, or indifferent.

Oh, 315 miles.  May ride it again today -- if I can ride the Cub Cadet first and get some mowing done.  Trailering it to Atlanta on Saturday for some more Georgia miles before first service down there at GuzziSteve's former shop.  Wish he could do it.

Thanks.

Bill

P.S.  Wayne, et al, please do not scare me on purpose with any of your fake "OMG, it's going to blow" stories.  You know I'll believe 'em.  :shocked:

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Color of Header Pipes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 04:51:23 AM »
Bill , those pipes look sweeeeet. They will change colour depending on how you are riding. A lot of wide open throttle, they will blue up. Slow cruising, straw coloured.  I wouldn't be concerned about tuning by pipe colour.     I love that bike  , I think it should be named " Skinny Griso " :thumb:
The Ti pipes on a Griso go straw colour riding in town and blue on the highway. Constantly changing colours.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:07:01 AM by Waterbottle »
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 04:59:01 AM »
Doesn't the Storny have TI pipes? TI goes wonderful colours that are cool as a very cool thing, apart from mine which are nowhere as cool as Beetle or Waterbottle's but that's because I ride like a softcoque! :grin:

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:03:07 AM »
Bill, the V7's  stock headers are double-walled & Italian chrome. They turn blue. Then eventually pit & corrode. When you can't stand the untidiness any longer, you replace them with - single-walled stainless headers from Agostini. These turn brown.

Enjoy your beautiful blue with hints of rainbow & gold,

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:03:07 AM »

pete roper

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 05:14:46 AM »
Looks like TI to me Mal. Can't be arsed going and looking it up though..... :evil:

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 05:50:52 AM »
For the premium they charge on that model, they should be TI. Then they won't corrode like the chrome ones. At present it sure looks pretty.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 06:07:24 AM »
FWIW, when tempering steel from full hardness, you can "color draw" it to a specific temperature by eye.
Steel does this..

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 06:28:40 AM »
Had a look and the AF1 site says its stainless steel. Doesn't look like stainless to me and Arrow are famous for their TI pipes, a lot of Griso owners use 'em, myself included.

Anyway Bill, I wouldn't worry. "They all do that Sir!".

Pete

ponti_33609

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 06:35:12 AM »
My old v11 kind of turned that color (when cleaned) with stainless headers. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:35:52 AM by ponti33602 »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 08:31:23 AM »
P.S.  Wayne, et al, please do not scare me on purpose with any of your fake "OMG, it's going to blow" stories.  You know I'll believe 'em.  :shocked:

Don't think it is going to blow Bill. But just to be sure, you need to leave it here for a few months for me to check it out.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »
I thought it was going to be based here, that way Michael has a play toy.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 09:47:01 AM »

Don't think it is going to blow Bill. But just to be sure, you need to leave it here for a few months for me to check it out.

This is what I would do :)
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »
Lovely, but get those stickers off!
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
oh wow...your pipe's color is so uniform, my OCD approves!!!!

My is kinda spotting between blue & yellow...wish mine was more uniform as yours...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
THAT'S want I'm talkin' 'bout !!  :bike-037: :food:

......Oops, wrong Michael I take it.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:28:59 AM by tazio »
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 11:39:30 AM »
This is what I would do :)

I know you would.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Thunderbutt

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »
Hi Bill- Do you have any plans to ride while your in the HOTlanta area?  We(my Wonderful Wife) are in Hiawassee and if I can get a hall pass, can meet you for lunch, coffee, what ever. 

Photo @ TWO Suchess last week

Jerry 
Current rides: 2000 V-11 Sport-SOLD, 2003 Aprilia Mille Haga Replica #125, 1975 Triumph T160, 2002 LeMans, 2008 Norge aka the silver bullet

Bill Hagan

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »

Hi Bill- Do you have any plans to ride while your in the HOTlanta area?  We(my Wonderful Wife) are in Hiawassee and if I can get a hall pass, can meet you for lunch, coffee, what ever. 

Photo @ TWO Suchess last week

Jerry

Would love to comma but.

I arrive Saturday evening with Stornello on trailer and me in my un-AC'd truck after 600 miles at 55-60.  I'll need several beers to recover!  :boozing:

That said, while my primary focus is ensuring my Mom is OK, that is usually in evenings.  So, I hope to ride every day. 

Some Newnan "Other Brands" folks said they wanted to get together on Sunday, and I know Michael wants to try it out.  I also rranged to have its first service on Thursday and -- if I trailer it there -- it'll be same day; otherwise Friday, so those days may be blocked in whole or part.  No doubt those will be best weather days.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, my email is wrhaganATearthlinkD OTnet & c/p is 404EIGHTZEROIGHT848 6, so let's coordinate that way.

Lovely, but get those stickers off!

Agree.  If I can't get that done before I leave, will take heat gun to Atlanta.

Don't think it is going to blow, Bill. But just to be sure, you need to leave it here for a few months for me to check it out.

I added a comma to that first sentence as I found it troubling unpunctuated.   :rolleyes: :shocked: Anyway, as nice as it seems out of the box, you'd probably improve it.  :bow:

NOT!  Michael is, however, thinking about getting a matching machine.  This trip will decide it.

For the premium they charge on that model, they should be TI. Then they won't corrode like the chrome ones. At present it sure looks pretty.

The MSRP is pricey. But, in the U.S., at least, MG is knocking off $2K, and the dealer I bought it from in Accident (!), Md., dropped price another $K ... and charged no freight or set-up (but did latter!). So my out-the-door price was $8100USD.  Naturally, Virginia tackled me with sales tax and title/tag costs when I got home, but the bottom line remains well south of the advertised cost.

Bill

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
$US8,100! We over here are definitely being shafted. I know all the arguments (the tyranny of distance; smaller market, higher margins), but it still doesn't compute. We are most jealous.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 10:48:41 PM »
Bill:

Don't worry for a second about those pipes.   I think they are beautiful, and my V7 Stone also has pipes with similar hues.  To my eye, this is beautiful because it reveals "honest wear" and amounts to the badges a machine should have as it's put to the task for which it's designed. 

This kind of aesthetic reminds me of old, old, blued revolvers.  Sure, anybody can appreciate a new-in-box revolver which has no blemish or wear on its bluing.   But what I think is even more beautiful is an older revolver, showing years of honest wear, with faded bluing, patina, and other wear marks.

It's like old, but well cared for, leather boots.  Obviously not new, but beautiful precisely because used and worn as intended by their designer. 

To the extent I understand it, this perspective is akin to the Japanese aesthetics of wabi sabi.  Wabi sabi aesthetics values honest use, the passage of time, and the impermanence of all material objects. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:50:18 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here