Author Topic: MOTO GUZZI V100 Mandello Owner Review  (Read 9816 times)

Offline djkid

• New Egg
MOTO GUZZI V100 Mandello Owner Review
« on: May 01, 2023, 08:04:00 AM »
Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello Review

After several test rides on the Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello S, I decided to order the V100 Mandello, the base model in white. I would like to share with you my first experiences with the V100 Mandello after having ridden it for more than 2,000 km. My experiences are from a personal point of view and are not meant to be objective.

Some of my own personal background
Please note that my ability to judge the new Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello is compromised by my limited experience with other motorcycle brands, my average riding experience and my conservative riding style.I have ridden many Guzzis since I got into motorcycling almost 25 years ago. The only side step I took was a BMW K75, which at the time I thought was a huge step forward for BMW with water cooling and fuel injection instead of air cooling and carburettors.  But in the end I did not like that bike and returned to Moto Guzzi after only a year. Similar to the BMW K75, the V100 marks a big step forward for Moto Guzzi, being the first water cooled bike from the brand.

Design
I really like the look of the V100, especially when it comes in the colour white. From a distance, it reminds me of the white 850 Le Mans III that I used to own. White with orange touches, just as the V100 has now, but with a modern appearance. I can also see aspects of the fairing that recall the Quota 2nd series. Altogether a nice and attractive design.

Engine and transmission
The engine's performance is impressive. From low revs the pulling power is great and without hesitation. The sound at low revs is already beautiful and impressive, without the ticking of the valves and tappets as I am used to. Above 5000 revs, the engine sound swells to a true symphony.
Opening the throttle in neutral results in the bike tilting to the left instead of to the right as I am used to, which still takes some getting used to. After all, the older Guzzis tilt to the right, in the opposite direction. The engine revs idle quite a bit higher than the classic Guzzi's.
Engine braking is admittedly different between Sport and Touring, but not by much. That the old Guzzis have so much less engine braking is due to the much lower compression ratio and the much heavier flywheel on the oldies. Sometimes I think the flywheel is missing altogether.
The gearbox handles well. Finding neutral is never a problem. When the gear pedal is pushed up from a standstill, the gearbox always goes into neutral, shifting into second gear is not possible.  Shifting from neutral to first is accompanied by a loud click. I have found that if I move the bike forward a little with my foot before shifting, the click is less intense. However, this is not always possible in practice, especially in city traffic.

Driving position and handlebar controls
The riding position is active and slightly forward leaning, reminiscent of both a Le Mans and a V11 with straight handlebar. The brake and gear change pedals are well adjustable, both in height and distance from the pedal to the footrest. Adjustment is possible both by rotation of the pedal and by adjustment of the length of the handlebar system. I found it easy to find a pedal position which suited me.
The buttons on the handlebars are easy to use. I like the distribution of functions between left and right. On the right are the combined start and kill buttons and the driving profile and lighting modes. The left is for the other functions. The buttons took some getting used to, but I think they are well chosen. I like the fact that I can still reach the turn signal button with my left hand on the wheel and the clutch in. Unfortunately, the buttons are not retro-illuminated, which would have been a nice touch in the evening.
Vibration in the handlebars is remarkably low for a twin-cylinder Guzzi.  As a test, I removed the weight from the handlebars and noticed no increase in vibration.

Ride quality and Steering
What stands out for me as a rider is the sheer peace and quiet of sitting in the saddle of the V100 Mandello, with very little disturbance from the wind flow or turbulence. The Adjustable Windscreen is part of an excellent wind protection system. Adjustability is not a gimmick. Both low and high settings have been used over the past 2000 kilometres. It is nice that the windscreen can be adjusted electronically from the handlebars. The effect of the wings is particularly noticeable when riding in the cold and rain. It keeps your hips and thighs out of the cold air stream.

The V100 is very confident on the road, with excellent road feel. My intended riding line is easy to plan and achieve. I find I can take corners easily and with more confidence than I am used to on the older Guzzis. The suspension is adjustable. The first few days and miles were spent trying to find a setting I liked. Eventually I found a setting that suited me, with firmer damping than the standard factory setting. I don't need an adjustable Öhlins setting for that. I am less happy with the adjustability of the spring preload of the rear shock absorber. The adjustment range of the front suspension is fine. But at the rear I would like the spring preload to be lower than the minimum setting now. I also think a progressive spring would be better for me. Again, the S model is not the answer. The rear spring preload is just as stiff as on the base model and it is not adaptive. Guzzi rightly calls it a semi-adaptive setting. A fully adaptive suspension, like some BMW models, controls both preload and damping. I find that the preload setting depends on personal preference and the length of the suspension travel, but above all on the rider's total weight when fully equipped. To put my experience into perspective, in my case that's 82kg with all my riding gear, including helmet and tank bag with disc brake lock.
I found the V100 to be quite a heavy bike. This was particularly noticeable when moving the bike in and out of the shed by hand, but also when manoeuvring the bike at low speed and changing direction abruptly.  Out of town, on country roads and on the motorway, the weight was never a problem.  In fact, the S model feels substantial heavier than the base model. Guzzi states the same weight of 233kg without accessories for both models. Apparently Guzzi considers the Öhlins damping as an accessory. I suspect that this is the main reason for the subjective feeling that the S model feels is heavier than the base model. In this respect the base model has an advantage over the S model as a sporty bike.
I have used the V100 for both short and long distances, such as an 800 km ride over two days. I find the seat very comfortable. I can easily ride for hours on this bike.

Brakes
One of the strong points is the brakes. They are very easy to control, both front and rear. The front brake never has an aggressive bite, and even after the brakes have warmed up through repeated braking, the excellent controllability remains. The fact that there is no disc oxidation after a ride in the rain is also a welcome improvement.

Equipement
The headlamp emits a huge amount of bright light. The eagle of the DRL is easily visible to other road users. I think the new LED lights are a huge improvement on the halogen lights I used before. The cornering lights do their job and it is fun to see them on and off, but I find them more of a gimmick than an improvement in visibility.
Ride by wire takes some getting used to. Sometimes there is an on/off effect. Especially when maintaining the lowest speeds at low revs. I never noticed this with the V11 and V7, so it cannot be the injection itself.
The comfort saddle is higher and more rounded than the standard saddle. It is also slightly higher. Even the lowered comfort saddle is slightly higher than the standard saddle. Funnily enough, I find the standard saddle more comfortable than the comfort saddle, although I can see the benefit of having the heating element in a saddle.
The cruise control is nice on long rides and you get used to it quickly. But when I ride a bike that doesn't have cruise control, I get used to it just as quickly, so I don't miss it.
The panniers are large and quite wide. The stated capacity is only 30 litres. But I find that the capacity of the panniers is halfway between the Hepco Becker Junior 30 litre and 40 litre panniers.
I had the heated handgrips fitted as an extra. What a job that was. The fairing and windscreen had to be removed to get to the connectors. A welcome luxury I was not used to before. Of course, with thin summer gloves I feel the heat more than with thick winter gloves. When riding in winter, I can get away with less thick gloves, which improves the riding experience.

Fuel consumption
I found the fuel consumption to be high during the first few kilometres, between 1:16 and 1:17 km/l. However, this quickly improved on longer journeys and I recorded a consumption of between 1:18.5 and 1:21.1 km/l. I hope that the fuel consumption will improve over time. The slightly higher consumption, combined with the smaller tank than I am used to, results in a lower than desirable range. Especially considering the comfort of the bike, which allows many hours of uninterrupted riding. 

Built quality and Reliability
The paintwork is of reasonable quality. The panels are reasonably flush, but no more than that. My white bike has a three coat paint system. A white basecoat, followed by a transparent mica metallic paint and finally an opaque high gloss clearcoat. The effect is a nice white colour with lots of optical depth, unfortunately there is a slight difference in colour between the different panels, with the side panels being slightly darker than the other parts.
The cases have removable matte grey panels. It seems to me that at the design stage Guzzi left open the possibility of painting the panels in colour. I have had the panels painted in colour and I am very pleased with the way they look.
As for reliability, I can report that I have had no problems for the first 2000 kilometres.

Conclusion
Is the V100 Mandello still a real Guzzi after the change to water cooling, or is it more like an Aprilia Tuono V100? In my opinion the design of the V100 fits very well into the Moto Guzzi range over the years. Of course you can't deny the Aprilia influence on the design, but I still think it's a modern Guzzi. I'm glad to see it on the market.

Pros: Nice design and nice white mica metallic colour. Good wind protection with low turbulence. Powerful engine. Road handling gives great confidence, steering is very light and precise. Plenty of luggage space with panniers.

Cons: High idle speed. Limited range. Noticeable knock when shifting into first gear. Rear suspension preload adjustment leaves something to be desired, as the lowest preload setting is still too much for me. Substantial weight felt when manoeuvring by hand in the shed and when driving through heavy city traffic.

And now I want to hear from you. Have you had similar or different experiences? Does the V100 Mandello appeal to you? Or maybe it has sparked your interest, but you are still waiting for the V100 Stelvio?

updated subject line - R59
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 09:58:29 AM by rocker59 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Re: MOTO GUZZI V100 Mandello Review
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 08:21:31 AM »
Thanks for taking the time for that review!

I've not seen a V100 yet.  Hope to soon.

I know I'm a bit on the fringe as to motorcycle preferences but I don't particularly like reports of a new bike being "smooth" with no vibration or the riding experience being "peace and quiet." A little bit of that is fine but I want to feel like I am on something mechanical.  I've never liked sewing machine bikes that ride as a friend of mine used to brag "just as quiet and comfortable as being in a car."

The Guzzi bikes have offered what I like insofar as that character and I hope that has not been sanitized out of the new machine. Fit, finish and assembly quality is also paramount.  A rider should not have to be a talent mechanic in order to sort-out or maintain a new Guzzi.  Breakdowns and reliability problems are something I hope the Guzzi factory HAS "sanitized" out of the new bike.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 08:24:52 AM by leafman60 »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: MOTO GUZZI V100 Mandello Review
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 09:57:56 AM »
Nice owner report/review!  Thanks!

We need more posts like this!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 09:59:00 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
Re: MOTO GUZZI V100 Mandello Owner Review
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 11:01:56 AM »
Really appreciate this review as I’m deeply contemplating this bike. I found your review excellent, realistic and detailed. Thanks for taking the time

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 11:01:56 AM »

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 02:33:06 PM »
Thank you for your review, my next motorcycle is down to 3 picks, a BMW GS1250, this Moto Guzzi, and a Honda AT 1100ES. Just one question for you. How tall are you?  I am 6’4” tall and I am very concerned about Helmet turbulence. I have read reviews from taller riders that have tried the Guzzi higher windshields that did not work out for them. This Guzzi is my first choice from my list, but I am patiently waiting on the first year of production for any reliability “glitches” that might arise. Thank you for your time.
2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Offline djkid

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 03:12:07 PM »
Thank you for your review, my next motorcycle is down to 3 picks, a BMW GS1250, this Moto Guzzi, and a Honda AT 1100ES. Just one question for you. How tall are you?  I am 6’4” tall and I am very concerned about Helmet turbulence. I have read reviews from taller riders that have tried the Guzzi higher windshields that did not work out for them. This Guzzi is my first choice from my list, but I am patiently waiting on the first year of production for any reliability “glitches” that might arise. Thank you for your time.

Thanks for reading. I am 184cm wich converts to 6 feet and 0.4 inches

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 03:54:08 PM »
Great review, glad you are enjoying it!

How do you like the TFT/digital gauges? My least favorite thing..... I'd like twin gauges with TFT screen for all the functions and NAV/ETC
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 04:32:29 PM »
That fairing screen is going to be a thing…
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 02:02:27 PM by Huzo »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 05:04:02 PM »
A few things seem to be popping up as common issues so far, other than the coolant issue, seem like minor issues.

1.  Connecting the Bluetooth to the MIA system
2.  Leaking coolant (not great for the first water cooled bike in the Guzzi lineup).  Hopefully it's just a clamp issue.
3.  High idle
4.  Clunky or difficult 1st gear.
5.  Speed shifter not great 1st to 2nd, but fine after that.
6.  Paint quality apparently not great, from a few feet away, it's stunning, up close, it doesn't seem to be Porsche paint quality however.

A friend has bought one, it looks lovely, I hope to get to ride it one day on one of our outings.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 06:48:09 PM »
Not enough seat time yet for me to do a proper review so Ill wait until after the 900 mile break in and first service. I am pleased so far with the overall package ( s model} The semi active Ohlins is amazing especially in tour mode where it softens up  our rough roads nicely. I am however having a dash warning sporadically . It is "can buss disconnect", and the dealer has been notified. It doesn't seem to alter the performance of anything yet but when active, the cruise control is disabled. The dealer informed me that there was a bulletin for a software update as well as a ground connection that needs to be addressed ,but only on some specific vin numbers.  Lucky me, dealer is a couple hours away. I am still pleased with the purchase thus far and Im sure they will sort it out when I can get it to them. 

Thanks for the detailed review DJ Kid , I'm glad your enjoying yours and I think the white is the nicest looking one out there .
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 06:53:31 PM by lucian »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2023, 05:10:52 PM »
***Just a reminder Gentlemen***
This thread is narrowly related to the new V100 MG and not the Triumph motorcycle brand.
If members wish to discuss another brand or compare other brands against one another, please start another thread and leave this one related for the reviews on the MG V100, ONLY.
Thanks. 

Dan
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 05:17:07 PM by Ncdan »

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2023, 05:20:19 PM »
I test rode a white standard with about 200 miles on it at the time.  I think its a great looking bike.  It definitely felt like a 21st Century bike.  I thought the power was really enjoyable and had great entertainment potential. It was comfortable for that short ride.  Everything about it was more modern feeling than my V85 which at the time I bought that bike, I felt the same way about.  But, speaking only for myself, the V100 didn't whisper in my ear: "take me home, the wife won't notice".  Maybe another, longer ride is required.
Blue Guzz

Offline gobeezer

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 12:29:23 AM »
Thanks for the informative review, and great picture with the case panels painted!  I don't know much about paint but would like to do the same -- how did you ensure a good match?  Did you have to get paint codes from the manufacturer?

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 01:23:50 AM »
Leafman,
I can tell you that the V100 feels more like my Jackal than my V85.  Now, NOT to say if feels like the Jackal, but it feels more like it than the V85, which feels MUCH smoother.  The v100 reminds me more of a Griso vibe.  It feels like a "Guzzi", and I know what you mean!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 10:55:30 AM »
Great , practical review, Thanks for taking the time to do it. I have never ridden or even seen the new water cooled Guzzi,in person, but in reading your review, I can tell that I will always want to keep some type of "pre -carc" bigblock around for the true raw " Guzzi experience", that originally got us all addicted to the marque.

As far as how the bike looks, which of course is totally subjective, I mean, its a nice looking bike, but not a design that instantly "grabs you", thinking "man ,that bike is drop dead gorgeous", like when you see an MV Agusta F-4. The  V-100 exhaust system looks like what you see on any modern Yamaha or Kawasaki, with the centralized mass design. I would think the Italians would design an exhaust with a bit more flair for their flagship bike. I hope the aftermarket will come out with a nice looking/ sounding full system.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2023, 03:18:01 PM »
I had the opportunity to ride a friend's Mandello yesterday. It is heavy and taller at the seat than I like, a bit hard for me to maneuver when it is stopped. (I am 5'10" with short legs.) I was limited to 4500rpm because of break-in, but found it very responsive at 3500. It is stable and seems to track well, but it is not easy to flick around. The cockpit is comfortable for ones who would like to sit up fairly straight. The instruments are weird and futuristic, seeming to be nothing more than a thick iPad-like brick, but that is ok: they work well. The motor doesn't seem Guzzi-like in the way of an old big-block. Probably the best Guzzi reference point is the Griso: they are chalk and cheese. One is low and madly engaging, the other upright, strong and comfortable. By the way, the aero wings do work to keep your thighs and waist warmer, not always for the better (but you can turn them off). It was great fun to get a chance to ride, and was really an enjoyable mount, but maybe not for me, especially compared to a Griso (or a T3). Unless I have to go 500 miles in a day -- then I'll have the cheese, please.

The three of us had a great ride through the Driftless region of Wisconsin and stopped at this famous across-the-river landmark, the Skinny Dip in Lansing IA, for geeros, or heeros, or yeeros, depending on who you asked:

A perfect day, a perfect ride.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 03:32:53 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2023, 08:18:51 PM »
I've come to realize that several thousand miles are needed for me to really make a decision.
My initial on the V85 I got (2022) was geez, what did I do?  4K in I love it.
Just the opposite with a 2014 Norge I bought and sold.  After 4K I couldn't wait to get rid of it-which took another 10K miles to finally happen.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 06:47:55 AM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2023, 10:30:45 PM »
I've come to realize that several thousand miles are needed for me to really make a decision.
My initial on the V85 I got (2022) was geez, what did I do?  4K in I love it.
Just the opposite with a 204 Norge I bought and sold.  After 4K I couldn't wait to get rid of it-which took another 10K miles to finally happen.

That's about right- I rode a V85 for maybe 10K, but never bonded with it.  Nice bike, but just not 'me'. 
I bought a G5 back in 1982 and bonded with that one instantly- rode it over 100K. 
But- to stay on point here-  I appreciate the candid reviews of the Mandello.  Sounds like a bike that I would really enjoy. I love the feel of the old V1000 motors, the ergonomics of the cruisers/sport touring bikes and I am not interested in a Stelvio version of the new donk.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 10:36:05 PM by jrt »
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2023, 03:12:34 AM »
That's about right- I rode a V85 for maybe 10K, but never bonded with it.  Nice bike, but just not 'me'. 
I bought a G5 back in 1982 and bonded with that one instantly- rode it over 100K. 
But- to stay on point here-  I appreciate the candid reviews of the Mandello.  Sounds like a bike that I would really enjoy. I love the feel of the old V1000 motors, the ergonomics of the cruisers/sport touring bikes and I am not interested in a Stelvio version of the new donk.
The only problem with V85’s is that there are still ‘07 Norges getting around.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 04:20:10 AM by Huzo »

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2023, 06:19:12 AM »
Thanks for the thorough review and best of luck with it!
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Bison

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2023, 04:21:19 AM »
Hi Folks,
What a great and constructive review, thank you.
My tuppence worth.
Just look at it, my what a stunner!, especially with the pannier lids colour coded.
I bought my V85TT a few months ago and I love it, but the V100 is always at the back of my mind. My decision to go with the V85 was based on a few factors. the main one being weight, it's lighter than my Norge, and the Mandello is about the same weight as the V85, but still heavier than i would like. The fact that it's a brand new platform, and I would wait for at least a year until any niggles are sorted out. It is, on paper at least, doing a similar, but much more modern and updated job, than my Le Mans 3 with superbike low flat bars, Corbin seat, Krauser panniers, all day comfortable!. A factor which I didn't pay enough attention to is seat height, I prefer a lower seat than the V85, and the Mandello provides that.
However, the new Guzzi dealer close to me is getting an Italian Naval air force version in as a demo, and I just can't help myself from booking a test ride, I'll report back.
Oh yes, I'm with Huzo, I love my Norge too!.
At risk of repeating myself, just look at it!, beautiful!, HA!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:16:14 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2023, 05:47:23 AM »
Yeah Bison, they are damn lovely.
The fact that I am emotionally committed to my Norge, does not take one sub atomic particle’s worth of kudos from the V100.
 Because one bike holds such a lofty position in one’s heart and mind, it does not do so at the expense of the other. It should be remembered too, that I am fully prepared and constantly do, choose to mitigate down the obvious shortfalls that the old Norge possesses, when compared to the lovely new Mandello.
I see the Norge as being flawed in the same way as I can sometimes be, imperfect but a known quantity that holds no unknown lurking faults, everyone knows what it is and is not.
It’s an “honest” bike that has shown it’s hand and I have morphed somewhat to accomodate it, in the same way as it has for me. The highs and lows of emotional experiences come and go and we can at times, allow ourselves to become blind or blinkered from the facts, but at the end of it all nothing tells the truth like time.
When the two bikes were side by side last week, I felt happy to pass the torch from my Norge to the Mandello, it deserves the accolade, but now it has to carry it and heavy is the crown of the new King.
I will need to see the new Mandello in 2039 when it has 210,000 km on the clock, I will be 81 years old by then and I do not know where my Norge will be, but wherever that is, I will be in the same place…
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 05:51:19 AM by Huzo »

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2023, 05:47:56 AM »
If I keep hearing all these good things about this bike, I might have to....
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2023, 07:56:41 AM »
If I keep hearing all these good things about this bike, I might have to....
If anyone deserves a good experience with a new bike, it’s you…

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2023, 01:48:38 PM »
Noticeable knock when shifting into first gear.

Are there Moto Guzzis that don't give a good clunk in the gearbox when shifting? I thought that was a defining characteristic like it is on Harleys.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2023, 04:03:39 PM »
Are there Moto Guzzis that don't give a good clunk in the gearbox when shifting? I thought that was a defining characteristic like it is on Harleys.
My Norge is absolutely silent and when engaging first gear from neutral, you wait 2 seconds and you cannot hear or feel it go in.
You just need to know what you’re doing…

Offline djkid

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2023, 03:56:46 AM »
Update review Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello after 9000km

In an earlier post I shared my review of my Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello after completing the first 2000 km.
I have now traveled more than 9000 km and would like to give you an update of my initial review.

I can tell you that I think my V100 Mandello, especially in the color white, is a very beautiful motorcycle. The longer I own the V100 Mandello, the more I can appreciate its design.

Now that I have made more kilometers, the engine seems to run smoother and the gear shifting is also smoother. The annoying click when engaging first gear from a standstill has remained. It is unfortunately a natural consequence of the wet clutch, which has replaced the dry clutch on the air cooled Guzzi's.

The V100 Mandello is most at home when traveling longer distances. Then I notice how efficient the compact fairing is. The fairing guides the air in a way that as a rider I experience little turbulence. Of course there is wind noise, but annoying turbulence that manifests itself in the fluttering of clothing, for example, remains absent.

In my first review I was concerned about the fuel consumption. Especially on a motorcycle that I find ideally suited to cover long distances, I find a wide range important. The fuel consumption is now considerably lower than in the first months of use. In city traffic and short distances, the fuel consumption is still considerable and more than 5l/100 km. But especially on long distances, the fuel consumption drops to a pleasantly low value of around 4.5 l / 100 km, so that I have to refuel about once every 300 km.

My V100 Mandello, like many, also suffered from the cooling water leak. Fortunately, this was remedied by the dealer under warranty.

I have since made some modifications. The adjustable windshield is smoke colored in my European version. While I would find a clear window much nicer on the white motorcycle. Fortunately I was able to purchase a clear window. I think my bike is so much nicer, it's personal preference that hasn't changed the functionality of course. From Evotech-Performance I mounted the radiator protector and the TomTom mount for mounting on the handlebars. From SW-Motech I mounted the carter protector. When I see how rough the crankcase protection plate has become after 9000 km, I can only conclude that it has done its job well.

The luggage options of the V100 are enormous. The original luggage set is very good and showed to be waterproof. The interior space can be used even better with the Motorbike Passion inner bags. Of these cases I had the matte gray color panels sprayed in the same high gloss pearl white color as the rest of my motorcycle. And I am very pleased with the result. I have fitted a Hepco & Becker luggage carrier so that I can attach not only more luggage but also the bag I take my dog in.
I mounted a tank bag from Givi on the tank. An adapter ring, type BF02, is required for mounting on the tank. My most used tank bag is the GIVI TanklockED Tank Bag ST605B. On vacation I used the Givi XS307. It is slightly more spacious and offers space for a few personal items, the motorcycle lock, a photo camera and a water bottle.

I spent a lot of time setting up the suspension on my V100. Since I'm not too heavy, about 70 kg, I made the following adjustments. At the front I had increased the preload to the maximum value and also increased the damping considerably. At the rear both the damping at minimum and the preload at minimum value. At the front, I got the impression that the bike would benefit from more preload than the current range of control would allow. For example, the motorcycle dives too much when braking. At the rear, especially the damping was much too harsh when used solo. While in duo use the damping was pleasant. I got the impression that the rear damper is suitable for a rider weight from 90kg. And as I said, my weight is way below that.

As has happened to me more often if I start paying attention, the shortcomings seem to me to be increasingly difficult to digest and accept. I searched for a long time for a provider who would offer an adjustment for both the front fork and the rear shock. I hoped that Andreani would come up with a solution, but it was Matris who was the first to offer such an accessory, for both the front and rear suspension.

I have decided to buy the Matris front fork spring set and the rear shock absorber. I am now more than satisfied with the result. The spring characteristic has been greatly improved. This is evidenced by the extensive measurements of free sag and rider sag in the factory settings of the V100 and the factory settings of the V100S, which I was able to measure during the time I borrowed a V100S when my bike went in for a water leak repair. To my surprise, the measured free sag and riders sag now match the measured values of the V100S quite closely. But the damping is also more pleasant, helped at the front by a thicker oil than standard, helped at the rear by a much wider adjustment range.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the V100 Mandello. Of course I sometimes wonder whether I should not have purchased the V100S, of which it has now become clear to me that the suspension is clearly better than that of the standard model. On the other hand, I had a strong and decisive preference for the color white in combination with the gold-colored wheels. However, after adjusting the suspension with the after market offer from Matris, I am satisfied with the choice made for the V100 base model.

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2023, 09:48:10 AM »
I'm just getting acquainted with my V100S, but I can already say that it is the most competent all around motorcycle I have ever ridden.  The bike is very comfortable, and fits me very well.  The engine is a gem with fueling that is perfect from the factory.  The handling is quite close to sportbike levels.  When I get on this bike and go down the road I feel more connected to it than any other bike I have owned.  It also sounds great, just as a Guzzi should.  I don't believe aftermarket exhausts will be de rigueur on this one.  It is just an amazing package. 

This is my first bike with an Ohlins suspension and I am starting to discover that all the hype I have heard over the years is well deserved.   If the S only came in purple I would still opt for the S model (not to rub it in djkid  :laugh: ).  The S inherent value is quite significant and is actually quite a bargain.  Word on the street is that in the future MG will have a larger price incremental from base to S model. 

I agree that the clunk from neutral to first is annoying.  My late model Harleys had the same clunk. 

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2023, 10:13:08 AM »
"Word on the street is that in the future MG will have a larger price incremental from base to S model."

That is too bad but understandable, especially if they are selling better than the base models. Hopefully it will only be a $1,000 boost in price.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here