Author Topic: Crankshaft seizure problems with V7 II'S  (Read 44778 times)

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
Re: Problems With 6-Speed V7's
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
Dunno about the bell housing acting as a sounding board but the 'Cement mixer full of bricks' noise is the shafts and pinions lashing about.

Pete

You folks are looking at this all wrong.  Like the dry clutches on Ducatii, this noise should be considered a feature to be enhanced and made as loud as possible. :grin:

So, is there anything we can open up and get a louder clatter?

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »
So I take it you're still digging it right?

Yes, very pleased with the choice in many respects:
controls ergonomics
seat height
ground clearance
shaft drive
fuel capacity
weight

It does not have the upper RPM HP of my 865 cc Bonneville, which performed in between my 2003 XLH883 Sportster and my 2002 1200 Sport Sportster...so I need to plan ahead a bit more when passing up a greater than 6% grade at ~8,000 feet elevation, but the cruising range is phenomenal.

On the flat, at 2,000 to 3,000 feet elevation or so, I rarely drop it lower than 5th for passing on a 55 MPH or 65 MPH two lane.

Planning to change all fluids ( I know that the gearbox can go much longer) at the end of Summer.   Should have ~6,000 miles by the end of September.
23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
Yes, very pleased with the choice in many respects:
controls ergonomics
seat height
ground clearance
shaft drive
fuel capacity
weight

It does not have the upper RPM HP of my 865 cc Bonneville, which performed in between my 2003 XLH883 Sportster and my 2002 1200 Sport Sportster...so I need to plan ahead a bit more when passing up a greater than 6% grade at ~8,000 feet elevation, but the cruising range is phenomenal.

On the flat, at 2,000 to 3,000 feet elevation or so, I rarely drop it lower than 5th for passing on a 55 MPH or 65 MPH two lane.

Planning to change all fluids ( I know that the gearbox can go much longer) at the end of Summer.   Should have ~6,000 miles by the end of September.
Glad to hear. [emoji106]
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »
I test rode a V7III Stone today. The gearbox was nice but that was the only thing that I would consider an improvement over my 2013 Racer. Since I put a fair amount of work into my Racer's suspension, I recognized the stock configuration suspension shortcomings immediately. I also like the ergos of the Racer better, the Stone's upright position doesn't suit me. Glad I tried a new ride, love my old girl even more.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:26:49 PM by tonUPRacer »
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »

Offline chrisk

• Hatchling
V7 stone ii ABS seized, not the first one I've heard of *WARNING*
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »
Hi all, My v7 ii has just had a new engine from piaggio fitted. Mine seized solid, there is an apparent  known problem where a crankshaft thrust washer is incorrectly machined,  drops down and seizes the engine. I guess it may not do in all circumstances, who knows.

I had mine done at in-Moto in London, they mentioned that they had done one previously and one booked in.

I can guess why it isn't a recall but to me the issue could be personally catastrophic at high speed. Mine happened on a mid to low speed roundabout, just stopped dead. Went into neutral okay etc but the engine was seized solid.

If I had one I'd be on to my dealer. Mine had about 2k miles on it.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Re: V7 stone ii ABS seized, not the first one I've heard of *WARNING*
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »
Here's an additional thread on the thrust washer problem. 

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=88760.0

oldbike54

Re: V7 stone ii ABS seized, not the first one I've heard of *WARNING*
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »
 Thread title is confusing . Going to merge this with the other thread , and yes , it has happened before .

Dusty

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Crankshaft seizure problems with V7 II'S
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
Yep, the bad ones ain't all sold yet.  Shop I worked at has 5 sitting around, Guzzi's in no hurry to come collect them.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2017, 09:55:49 PM »
Are they all Stone models or is this happening to other versions as well? Last I heard it was only Stones.

pete roper

« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »
Piaggio stuff is all batch manufactured, the major mechanical components are AFAIK assembled at Noale. If there was a batch of motors built without thrust faces installed or installed incorrectly they would almost certainly of been shipped as a back-load to Mandello and then used in a particular production run.

If that batch was used in Stones then it's possible that the problem only affects Stones. If there was a product swap on the Mandello assembly line during the use of that engine build set, say from Stones to Racers then the problem would cross pollinate to Racers.

We've seen issues like this before. An obvious example being the Norge 2V oil pump problem. Lots of 2V CARC bikes used that pump but the 'Crash and Burn' pumps all seem to have found their way into a short run of red Norges.

Pete

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2017, 01:51:03 AM »
Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed it doesn't show up on the specials. Mine has around 4400k's on it so not out of the woods just yet.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2017, 12:40:28 AM »
Piaggio stuff is all batch manufactured, the major mechanical components are AFAIK assembled at Noale. If there was a batch of motors built without thrust faces installed or installed incorrectly they would almost certainly of been shipped as a back-load to Mandello and then used in a particular production run.

If that batch was used in Stones then it's possible that the problem only affects Stones. If there was a product swap on the Mandello assembly line during the use of that engine build set, say from Stones to Racers then the problem would cross pollinate to Racers.

We've seen issues like this before. An obvious example being the Norge 2V oil pump problem. Lots of 2V CARC bikes used that pump but the 'Crash and Burn' pumps all seem to have found their way into a short run of red Norges.

Pete

I'm glad this thread has resurfaced at this time, because I'm very interested right now in a few 2016 V7 ll Stornellos that have popped up for sale 200-400 miles away in different dealerships in Quebec, with aggressive end of the year pricing under $10K Canadian.

I'm not really interested in a small block,,, frankly,none of the current MG offerings really move me,,,except for the Stornello,,, it causes a visceral reaction in my gut,,, I think that it's a gorgeous looking motorcycle,,, I'm sure I would find it wanting for more power and it might not be as fun a hooligan bike to rip around town on, as my DR650,,, but it should be a great bike for runs into the city,,,the lower seat height would sure be easier to mount and dismount,,, I think it should be much nicer on twisty back roads,,, and it could handle the odd passenger, much better.

I've had a tough time selling my DL1000,,, but if they would take it in a trade in,,, the Stornello should be a worthy replacement for what I use my DR650 for,,, if I decided to sell it, I'd have no problem selling my DR.

Buying a new bike from a dealer so far away, would make any work, warranty or otherwise a major pita,,, I'm reasonably confident that I could do any service work required.

I know dealer set up on these modern bikes is crucial, I have no knowledge of any of these dealerships,,, but I have researched it a bit,,, and even if the mapping was totally screwed up,,, Beetle apparently has a map for the Stornello,,, so I could handle that aspect if it was an issue.

But if I happened to get a v7ll with one of these bad crankshaft assemblies, I would be f@cked.

My questions for Pete or any other dealer, or person in the know with the latest and best information on this issue,,,

Were these bad crankshaft assemblies confined to a set date of manufacture or VIN # range?

I know that one of the Stornellos for sale is marked # 348 of 1000 made,,, were the Stornellos made after the crankshaft assembly issue was corrected or is there a real danger of "cross pollination" as Pete describes of bad engines in different model runs?

Tia take care

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

pete roper

« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30:16 AM »
Firstly, I'm no longer an *Official* service agent so I have no access to the pitiful drip-feed of non-information on the Piaggio service portal so I can't offer any real information on the issue at all.

All we know is that there have been problems with some V7-II's. I can't remember anyone posting engine numbers so there are no indicators as to which batch/es might be problematic.

So far, as far as I can make make out, using my perusal of somewhat useful sources on the web, the issue affects Stones and Classics, not sure about 'Racers' and from what is posted by members here and on the Ghetto who have Stornellos the shit hasn't hit the fan with them.

Having said that neither I, or Uncle Tom Cobbley or anyone else can give any guarantees. I'd also add that it would appear thT the current V7 series seem to attract people who, to use someone else's words, would have difficulty using a can opener!

If you are thinking of purchasing a V7, or indeed any Moto Guzzi, or even something more complicated than a toilet brush, please do your due diligence first. If you are worried about basic servicing? Don't feel confident you can do it yourself? Look elsewhere. If you fear that it is going to be riven with complicated issues beyond your ken? Look elsewhere. If you think you Re getting a 'Good Deal' because the dealer selling the bike can undercut everyone else? Ask why? And then walk away.

And finally, if you play about with stuff you don't understand or, if you haven't given any thought to the above mentioned issues? Please don't whine and sook about how hard done by you are!

I'm so, so glad I no longer have to deal with this idiocy!

Pete

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2017, 03:43:54 AM »
Were these bad crankshaft assemblies confined to a set date of manufacture or VIN # range?

You can have a look here: http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-ii-owners-clutch-advisory-bearing-omission.16098/
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2017, 04:14:03 AM »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

pete roper

« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2017, 05:21:46 AM »
Good to know he's useful for something.

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »
I'm just thankfull that my 2015 V7 with 2500km doesn't have this problems. Yet. No clutch adjustment from kilometer zero. :bow:

I believe this is recommended practice for all clutches in all vehicles (but I'm sure driving school is not telling this to new candidates).

Pete has been saying this for years.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2017, 09:05:43 AM »
You can have a look here: http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-ii-owners-clutch-advisory-bearing-omission.16098/

Tks very much for that link,,, their site is down right now, but I will definitely read through it later, and any other information available on this issue before taking a run at these Stornellos.

Pete,   I'm thinking by your over the top, crusty bombastic response, a 'Roo must have shite in your cornflakes this morning,,,lol,,, you are extremely insightful though,,, toilet brushes are one of my greatest challenges in life, actually anything, along the lines of house cleaning causes me fits,lol.

tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »
      Tks very much for that link,,, their site is down right now, but I will definitely read through it later   

<* kev scratches his head *>

Not down for me/not now?

Thread started by our friend Steve below... if you're having issues with your V7 II regarding your clutch working correctly, which (can lead/) led to your motor being replaced due to missing crank thrust bearings from the factory.
PDFs info attached.
Please post yours by replying to this thread if you have had this issue. Those affected listed below:

ZGULWUB05GM200257 - @emab
ZGULWUB07GM200258 - @RedHawk47 - Dan
ZGULWUB01GM200353 - @Moto_Max
ZGULWUB09GM200357 - @MarkAWallace
ZGULWUB07GM200499 - @frnco
ZGULWUB05GM200548 - Shannon M

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2017, 11:52:44 AM »
<* kev scratches his head *>

Not down for me/not now?

Hey Kev,   The site is working for me now, I'll read through the info later. I'm on a poor satellite connection, certain times through the day, I can have problems loading sites,,, the issue was probably at my end,,, not with the site,fwiw.

tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
Hey Kev,   The site is working for me now, I'll read through the info later. I'm on a poor satellite connection, certain times through the day, I can have problems loading sites,,, the issue was probably at my end,,, not with the site,fwiw.

tks

Kelly
That's what I was guessing. Which is why I posted the most important part (the members who have reported their effected VINs so far).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
If you think you Re getting a 'Good Deal' because the dealer selling the bike can undercut everyone else? Ask why? And then walk away.

Pete

I thank you for the timely reminder of sage advice.

Imho only,,, we aren't blessed in this part of the world, with knowledgeable, forthcoming, MG dealers. This isn't the first time I've been wary of deals on MGs, from far away, with dealers of unknown motives & scruples.

There was a beautiful new demo, 2013 Griso with a Mistral pipe that was a major bargain, for sale a days drive away from me,,, I felt some what secure in regards to the roller issue because it was being sold as a 2013.

Thanks to what I'd read here, I insisted that the dealer pull a valve cover off and email me pics BEFORE I closed the deal,,, it was very obviously a flat tappet 4 valve head,,, the sweet bargain and deal,,, wasn't what it appeared to be.

I escaped a bullet on that "deal" and I'll try my best not take one, in regards to these Stornellos.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here