Author Topic: new to guzzis just got an 84 cal 2  (Read 7080 times)

eedjut

new to guzzis just got an 84 cal 2
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:15:06 PM »
hey all,
 so just bought a peachy cal2.
it seems pretty solid but i want to give it a service before doing any major kms.
aside from oil and filter and valves what do you guys recommend?
whats the deal with the distibutor looking thing? ive only ever set points!!!

i need to buy a manual and some gaskets filter etc. i also want to convert to hydraulic clutch.
where should i go for parts?
im in toronto ontario canada

thanks in advance!

Karen

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: new to guzzis just got an 84 cal 2
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:50:08 PM »
Great choice of Guzzi. If you don't know the bike's history, then an oil and filter change and valve adjustment are all worth doing. How many kilometres are on the bike? You might want to go through all the fluids; transmission, rear drive and a brake fluid flush might all be worthwhile if the bike has covered a considerable distance and you can't determine when/whether they have been changed/flushed.

I can help you with manuals. Just send me your full name and mailing address in a PM and I'll send you a CD with PDF copies of the California II factory shop manual, parts manual, owner's manual and more. It also contains wiring diagrams, copies of period advertisements and brochures and a wide range of suggested repair procedures and best practices. No charge.

This same offer is open to any WildGuzzi forum member, worldwide. I also have similar CDs for the V7 Sport and 750 S, 850-T, 850 T-3, V1000 Convert, V1000 G5, 1000 SP, California III, Le Mans 850, Le Mans II/CX 100, Le Mans III, Le Mans IV/V and several other Tonti-framed models. All available for the asking at no charge. Just send your request in a PM with your mailing address.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 01:47:19 AM »
Welcome!  Good choice of an early long wheelbase Tonti.  A lot of what a bike that age needs depends on if it's a daily rider or been in storage (or some point of use in between).  The more you can tell us about the history, the more we can scare advise you.  I have a '76 that shows up in random time zones every season, so yours is just a pup.

I think the distributor looking thing is the distributor.  IIRC, that unit has dual points on a single lobe cam.  They control two coils and fire each side independently.  If you don't have points under the lid, if it looks like two slugs maneuvering to mate, then your points have been 'upgraded' to an electronic ignition such as the Dyna.  The Dyna has a distinctively blue base plate.

eedjut

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:07:55 AM »
LeRoy, I pm'ed you, thanks!
Rodekyll, the bike sat for a number of years before the guy I bought it from got it. He changed all the fluids bar fork oil and painted the tank and fenders. Rode it on a couple of guzzi rallies then parked it I suspect for a couple of years. Sold it to me due to nerve damage in one of his hands. All the fluids and spares I got from him are genuine guzzi, if that means anything.....
bike has 30k on the clock!
it has open pipes right now. Would like to get something quieter with a bit of back pressure. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Karen

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:07:55 AM »

Offline ed.bremner

• New Egg
  • 850T3 California Rosso
    • BremWeb Imaging
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:44:52 AM »
If it has been more than a couple of years, I would pretty much change all the fluids again, whatever the mileage.

Then, imho, the other thing I would do is service all the disc calipers, replacing the pistons with aluminium versions if not already done and of course changing the brake fluid with new DOT4 fluid

Not sure about best silencers available in US, I bought a set of stainless silencers from Armour in UK https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/, maybe 20-25 years ago and they are still going fine.  Heavily blued at the top, but sill polish up nicely on the silencers.  Great sound, not too loud.

When the pipes are off, do take the opportunity to just remove the front engine bolt (as long as you can) and grease and refit.

Great choice of Guzzi.

Hope you have lots of fun, the Cali is more a mentality than a motorcycle  :-)

cheers

eib
Moto-Guzzi 850T3 California 77
Turned Red in 87
Both me and the bike knackered but still rolling...
Montesa Cota 247

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 06:52:55 PM »
 :BEER: Welcome!
That is a super bike and I hope you enjoy it. I don't know who sells Guzzi parts in Canada but I usually buy from MG Cycle, or Harpers as I have no dealer nearby.
Excellent screen name BTW! ;-T
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »
I have an 84 Cal II sitting in my garage. The old charging system has finally given it up. I'm going to install a Denso mini alternator between the jugs like I did on my son Chris's V65. I don't trust all the current replacement stuff for stock, too many people having too much trouble. It will take some work, and a belt tensioner as I don't believe this model had enough room in the frame area to swing it up & down for tightening. Either way I will have 35 amps and a total of 2 wires. No regulator/rectifier crap, no stators or rotors to puke out on me. Alternator is 70 bucks, same as used on a lot of Toyota forklifts. As for your Cal, you will get really attached to it. Wonderful stuff, the faster you go the smoother it gets. If you drop down to 4th gear running about 60, you will notice a lot. 5th gear seems to like about 70 to smooth out decent. I rode mine to rallies in Arizona, Wisconsin, even out to the Black Hills, never an issue until it was up around 80K on it. The original owner had enriched the idle circuit as he said it was real lean from the factory. I also had a piece of screen wire tied around the air intake opening because a mouse thought that was prime real estate for his new digs. I had tried the SP1000 Guzzi 1st, did not like the quicker steering. You will like the seat I think, far better than the more comfy looking Cal III seat. At some point, the clutch was dragging enough to make it hard to find neutral and try to crawl forwards at stops. No adjustments were working. My dealer had some kind of upgrade he put in, and has been sweet ever since. My only annoying complaint is that no matter what I tried, those damn European type fuses would occasionally lose contact. I'd simply pull the fuse box lid off and give the each a spin and good for a while. You will find you may want some other Guzzi, or just some other bike, but you won't want to sell or trade your Cal II to get it. The engines are bullet proof, heck they are RPG proof, just do correct valve adjustments. And yes, the Dyna S upgrade is worth every cent on this bike.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:57:27 PM by wymple »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
Gotta concur with the replies-it is a great bike, almost indestructible and a pleasure to ride!  I picked up an 85 Cal II (Frankenstein- some 83 parts on it) last year that was badly converted to a "cafe racer".  The previous owner stated that mine was in perfect condition and I took his word for it.  About the only thing he had done in 9 years was to refresh the fluids.  I started with cosmetic fixes to restore the bike as opposed the smarter option you are taking.  This website is an amazing source, forum members are friendly and extremely helpful and knowledgable. I have managed to acquire manuals, parts, fix many of the electrical system issues, tune the carbs, adjust the valves, rebuild the calipers and do much needed  maintenance with their assistance.   I am currenlty in the process of replacing the tires.  This is quite amazing since I have never "wrenched" a motorcycle.  Extremely easy to work on.  Kiwi Roy has been an invaluable asset concering fixing my electrical issues.  Another site that I used frequently is Gregory Bender's "This Old Tractor".  He has several resources for Tonti frame bikes.  I discovered that I have a Dyna III ignition that I understand is a great upgrade.  I put a National Cycle Plexi-Star 2 windshield on it which really compliments its looks and reduces the wind noise to almost nothing.  My next goal is to replace the Emgo Dunstall replica's that the PO put on the bike...I really like the stock sound of the bike.  Good Luck!  LeRoy I woould love to have a copy of your documents as well!
'85 MG  Cal II, '03 BMW R1150R, '09 Piaggio MP3 250 ie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »
Great thing about Guzzis .... If someone on another "brand site" (pick one - MV Agusta, Harley, Kawasaki) was talking about buying a 31-year-old bike for long-distance touring use, they'd be considered very adventurous, not to say "sporty", for using an "antique" bike for actual riding - I mean, that would be a Shovelhead or some two-stroke in other brands!

Whereas here, we consider a Cal II to be current technology; not a "new" bike but certainly not an "antique", and no one would hesitate to join a group headed for Point Barrow on their 2013 bikes while riding an '84 Cal II ...

That's what I like about these bikes, I think.   Besides the people that think this way about them!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
I once read a review of an old 850 Guzzi when it was a new bike. The comments were that it was not built to cross states, but rather continents.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »
I once read a review of an old 850 Guzzi when it was a new bike. The comments were that it was not built to cross states, but rather continents.

The continents haven't changed, but the reviewers marketing strategies have.   An 850 is a small "beginners bike" now, a 1300cc is "mid-sized" , etc. .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »
Yeah, what's up with that. I can remember pining for the day that I would afford to upgrade my 350 to one of those big 450s.  ::)
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Online Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »
I have a Calli II as well, only 105,000 miles.
Why anyone would remove the mufflers is beyond me, I would see if you can locate a pair if stock ones.

This is a very good handling motorcycle, I like the linked brakes.

Why do you want to go hydraulic clutch?
I have seen a 2:1 reduction fitted to an old beamer. I don't know who makes it though. I think it would be easy enough to reproduce
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:00:02 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
Impressed, just how many California II owners are out there?  Here in Columbia SC I know of no II or III owners...makes it kind of special.  steve

Offline ed.bremner

• New Egg
  • 850T3 California Rosso
    • BremWeb Imaging
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 06:11:14 PM »
Whereas here, we consider a Cal II to be current technology; not a "new" bike but certainly not an "antique", and no one would hesitate to join a group headed for Point Barrow on their 2013 bikes while riding an '84 Cal II ...

Isn't that the truth of it :-)

When I bought my 77 T3 Cali in 87, it was a wreck and my biking friends all asked me why I had gone and bought an old and knackered bike. I didn't care - I rebuilt it and it did what I wanted, and rather well at that...

28 years later I am still riding the Cali and my friends are still riding new stuff. Now the bike that was simply 'old' has cudos cos its 'classic'.  Still don't care, It does what I want and I would really struggle to think of a bike I would prefer to own.

Enjoy your Cali

eib

Moto-Guzzi 850T3 California 77
Turned Red in 87
Both me and the bike knackered but still rolling...
Montesa Cota 247

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 11:28:44 PM »
Every bike currently sitting in my garage is from the early 80's. There is an 84 Cal II that belongs to one of my sons.He is eyeing a Griso so I'll likely keep it here. Then his younger brother has his 84 V65C here, considerably modified and about to take a week trip to Canada. Add in my 81 GS850, that I can take anywhere, an 82 Virago chopper, and one older bike, a 78 XS650 that is now a trike of sorts. I just picked up an 82 GS550 with only 4293 miles on it, carbs missing. The owner of the V65 is bringing out his 83 GS1100 for some carb work, and when my grandson shows up he's on his 80 SR250 Yamaha. I have an older son that just took his 73 XS650 chopper away we've been modifying as well. Old bikes are not scary. I like the GS and XS stuff just fine, but the creme de la creme are the Guzzis. It's astounding how they seem built to last longer than I will.

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »
I had a fair amount of trouble with mine, a few months after I got it.  I suppose there was a fair amount of gunk in it, and after a while it loosened up and started moving around, and the carburetors clogged.  After a carburetor job, that problem went away and has not been back.

The other major problem has been a temperature related electrical connection problem that affects the starter solenoid, so it won't start after a rest until it cools off a bit more.  This is normally treated as a wiring problem, you can rewire the starter relay for a better connection from battery to solenoid, and that does help.

The rest is kind of small stuff.  Haven't really upgraded much - Dyna ignition, new rear shocks, windjammer.  Mine's an '85.  I love how much room there is on the back for hauling stuff around.

Online Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »
Now all we need is pictures
Heres mine as I picked her up in Sedro Woolley, Washington, French Bordello Seat and all.

As she looks today.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:23:28 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
I have a 1986 Cal II. When I replaced the mufflers I used some EV/Jackal takeoffs. Stainless and look and sound great!!!

Offline Ace100

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 08:31:15 PM »
I love my '83 Cal II.  I ride it on road and off.  Absolutely rock sold.

Moto Guzzi Cal II by BealeDabbs, on Flickr

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »
I still can't figure out how to get pics on...Roy, did you have new make-up for your Cal II? That bordello  seat was a litle over the top.  Figured out the new shoes for baby, going with Bridgestone spitfire S11 on the front (dropping to 110/90-18) and Kenda Challenger on the back.  Carbs good, brakes good, wiring...workable.. .ready for some local riding, a road trip to North Geogia Mountains this month and Virginia in August .

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 03:08:43 AM »
Karen,

We had a Cal II for years. Loved it.

you've mentioned all the right stuff. The Points are simple to do, if you still have them, there's really no reason to upgrade.

Electrics are the only real 'weak' spot. All the juice flows thru the ignition switch....which is now um....old. You dont need to replace it, but you might want to consider adding relays to your lites. Will prolly get you better liting.  Another piece to watch is the starter relay (NOT the solonoid) under one of you side panels. If it dies, it can be replaced by any 30 amp relay from an autoparts store.

Alternator - the original bosch is not the greatest on its best day. If you have problems - best replacement Ive seen is from EuroMoto Electrics.

Clutch - try a teflon lined cable.

Mufflers - JC Whitney is your friend.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Online Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
Electrics are the only real 'weak' spot. All the juice flows thru the ignition switch....which is now um....old. You dont need to replace it, but you might want to consider adding relays to your lites. Will prolly get you better liting.  Another piece to watch is the starter relay (NOT the solonoid) under one of you side panels. If it dies, it can be replaced by any 30 amp relay from an autoparts store.

:1:,
The switch on mine is almost worn out so I added a relay between the battery and fuse box  along with a pair of headlight relays in the bucket (I tapped into the switch feed to supply these). I used the same type of relays the bike already has.
I also added a 35 Amp fuse in the feed from battery to ignition switch, it will protect the old wiring in case of a short and is a convenient way of disconnecting the battery to work on any wiring.
A previous owner added Dyna ignition.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 01:07:32 PM »
THAT'S the bike - in black and white. I want one so bad.

I remember seeing a new one in Sonny Angel's, and thinking " Why would somebody buy something so fancy? " How my outlook changes as time passes...
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
Red is the faster colour :grin:
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

eedjut

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 07:33:51 PM »
Ok wow thanks for all the replies!

I'm waiting on new cables I ordered some from that place in Seattle that were too short. Are dell or to phf30's stock carbs for the cal 2?
 My boyfriend thinks the guzzi would make a fantastic fast gravel bike! I told him no!

Anyway I'm looking forward to putting some serious kms on it this season!

Thanks for all the support!

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 07:47:57 PM »
Ok wow thanks for all the replies!

I'm waiting on new cables I ordered some from that place in Seattle that were too short. Are dell or to phf30's stock carbs for the cal 2?
 My boyfriend thinks the guzzi would make a fantastic fast gravel bike! I told him no!

Anyway I'm looking forward to putting some serious kms on it this season!

Thanks for all the support!
Karen, Yes the 30mm Dellorto's are stock.
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Kevin M

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 11:00:55 PM »
I would recommend checking the wheel bearings. I would recommend keeping a spare clutch cable in your saddle bags. The Cal II is an awesome machine, you won't be disappointed.

Kevin

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 10:02:36 PM »
Ace 100 we have a twin.   Front brake shims are a real beast...is there a shim for the front spindle as well?no trouble with cable on mine

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »
Welcome, Karen!  Sounds like you have a great Guzzi there!

If you're interested in riding with some local Guzzi owners, feel free to check out Ontario Guzzi Riders:

www.ontarioguzziriders.com

There is a link at the bottom of the home page that will allow you to join our discussion group.  It's great for keeping tabs on local activities.   :bike-037:

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here