Author Topic: Stelvio Birth  (Read 7252 times)

Offline guzzimaster

• New Egg
Stelvio Birth
« on: November 01, 2015, 04:49:30 AM »
Oh Baby – Baby - I’m bringing to life a brand new baby Stelvio  :bow:
She came home from the Guzzi shop yesterday.  Stelvio Rite of Passage:  Picked up the new bike and for its first ride - I went 66 miles through Sun – rain – flood rain – gravel roads – hills – curves – more rain – and some freeway – I gave it a good workout. 
It’s a 2015.  It’s Green.  It’s a freakn’ awesome machine.  I think I am gonna call it:  The Hulk   :boozing: I’m smokin’ a cigar.
I have been buying and selling several motorcycles all year trying to earn enough money to buy a Stelvio; of course the Stelvio popped up before I was ready.  Already sold the KLR and I still have 1 Moto Guzzi that needs to find a new home - fast.  If you know anyone wanting to Style around in a totally refurbished & customized ole classic ’74 LAPD Eldorado 850  :police: I have posted it in the Swap Meet section.
How excited am I about the Stelvio?  -  It is 2:30AM, woke up thinking it may have been a dream that I got a new Moto Guzzi, so I had to go look at it in the garage.  Whew, back to bed.
MotorOverTimeObedie ntly GasUpZigzagZoomInde finetly
'74 California "Santana" / 2020 V85tt "Liberty / 2014 California Custom "Black Pony"

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
Re: Stelvio Birth
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 04:52:23 AM »
Congrats on your new ride. My Stelvio quickly became my favorite motorcycle.

Bob
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline WitchCityGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 05:47:19 AM »
Congratulations!

It seems to be a common reaction from Stelvio owners. I've said it a hundred times. My Stelvio is the best all around motorcycle I've ever owned. I still look forward to riding it every day.

I love all my Guzzi's, but there's just something special about the Stelvio.
2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport
1967 Aermacchi 250SS Sprint

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:00:38 AM »
Green Stelvio!!!
We must be brothers from different mothers. I know EXACTLY how you feel.
Congrats :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I put mine to work, right away.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:35:27 AM by Green1000S »
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:00:38 AM »

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 06:22:17 AM »

:thumb: Congrats...! 

Edit:  I just went to have a peek at the Eldo, Wow, what a beauty.  GLWS.

Best,
Rob

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:26:09 AM by radguzzi »
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 06:42:51 AM »
Congrats on the new baby! :boozing:

As others, I too love mine. Just yesterday, a friend and I went out and hit 12 of the 18 covered bridges in Ashtabula County in NE Ohio.

John Henry

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »
Congrats on the new baby! :boozing:

As others, I too love mine. Just yesterday, a friend and I went out and hit 12 of the 18 covered bridges in Ashtabula County in NE Ohio.

John Henry

JH - you saving the other 6 bridges for today........

Mark

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »
Nice Stelvio!  Been getting the urge to add 'just one more' MG to the garage.  Been looking hard at the Stelvio... And Griso and Norge...
 :bike-037:

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 04:19:58 PM »
Congratulations and Tally Ho! [I like mine.]

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

kenebar

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 10:16:22 PM »
Sorry to be the wet blanket but I've got the shits with my green Stelvio on which I've just done some 3,000 km and 7,000 km all up.
I like everything about it except for its fatal floor of excessive vibration at just under 4,000 rpm - and 4,000 rpm translates to 100kph and so is unavoidable during highway travel.
I though initially that fuel remapping could cure it but that has not been the case.
Inquiries from more knowledgeable people than myself only resulted in vague talk about "harmonics" - I think that I understand the concept but not what to do about it.
Anyhow it must be mechanical and according to some Stelvistas to whom I spoke it improves (lessens) with age so I'm currently left with the "ages like wine scenario" and I live in hope.

Any comments from other Stelvio owners?  Anyone?

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 10:46:07 PM »
Hi Ken,  I do not notice a significant vibration near 4K rpm.  That's around the sweet spot for my bike so I'm riding in that rpm range most of the time.  There are couple things I'd suggest to look at:  throttle body balance is the most probable problem, another is to double check the bolts that secure the engine to the frame...particularl y the four that connect the heads to the frame, you will have to remove the tank to see them.  It's true that the engine will get smoother with age.  I have about 24K miles on mine and it felt like it went through a change at about 10K miles.  Nevertheless, your vibration is unusual.  I hope you can sort it out.

Another thought...down shift and ride in 5th so you are running above the 4K point.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline WitchCityGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
Sorry to be the wet blanket but I've got the shits with my green Stelvio on which I've just done some 3,000 km and 7,000 km all up.
I like everything about it except for its fatal floor of excessive vibration at just under 4,000 rpm - and 4,000 rpm translates to 100kph and so is unavoidable during highway travel.
I though initially that fuel remapping could cure it but that has not been the case.
Inquiries from more knowledgeable people than myself only resulted in vague talk about "harmonics" - I think that I understand the concept but not what to do about it.
Anyhow it must be mechanical and according to some Stelvistas to whom I spoke it improves (lessens) with age so I'm currently left with the "ages like wine scenario" and I live in hope.

I agree with the aforementioned. Sounds like throttle body balance to me. My Stelvio is smooth from idle to 4000 rpm and beyond. No annoying vibration anywhere in the rpm scale. 
2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 07:44:38 AM »
Congratulations on the new Stelvio

But please don't sell the Eldorado, you will never get another so nice
And it's way too cheap.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
The more I hear the more I'm convinced that the vibration between about 3600 and 4000 rpm is NOT unusual.  I started asking about this a few months ago as it drives me nuts. My dealer, Seacoast Sport Cycles in New Hampshire has a stellar reputation and some truly exceptional tech's starting with one of the co-owners. They walked me through their tuning process knowing that I had a complaint and the vibration is still very much present. I may try some ROX anti vibe risers but that will only be a band aid as it is a systemic vibration in the pegs and everywhere. The big downside to the vibes is the resultant fatigue. PITA to have to keep shifting gears to either stay above or below.

Offline spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 06:05:51 PM »
Well, maybe this will get us somewhere. I really want to get to the bottom of this and find a cause / solution. I vaguely remember a comment some time back that the Euro, non NTX bikes without the crash bars don't have this problem. As an aside, I have fused my driving lights to but still can't keep from either blowing bulbs or fuses. So I just don't use them. Vibration is the culprit here too I'm sure.
I guess I can try removing the crash bars but then what do I do if that cures it, take a big chance on a costly tip-over? I truly want to find a fix because I like most everything about the bike. It's great two-up, it's different, it handles, has good power delivery, and it's a Guzzi of which I've been a loyalist since 1983.

kenebar

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 12:22:52 AM »
I'm very sad to say that the most cogent advice that I've had on this problem came from someone who is not unknown on this board and others.

The conversation went like this:
Bloke: Is it insured?
Me:    Yes.
Bloke: Burn it!
Me:     :undecided:

Offline motrhead

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 05:38:09 PM »

You call that vibration? Seriously, compared to any parallel twin, and other v-twins I have owned/ridden, the Stelvio vibes are nothing serious...unless the throttle bodies are off, as others have stated. My V-11 has way more vibes, and owning Harleys and XS650s I know vibes. LOL. I have inline 4s that have worse vibes...
'03 V11 LeMans
'11 Stelvio

kenebar

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 07:27:59 PM »
It should be obvious to anyone who has an interest in this thread that the vibration problem is confined to the latest model Stelvios, i.e. the Tenni green ones, thanks for telling us that your earlier model doesn't vibrate but that's just rubbing it in.
I'll except correction on this but I believe that the vibration issue may have started when the top of the engine was redesigned after the roller tappet problems.
Please don't nit pick about rpms because I and others have said or implied that the vibrations start at a little before 4,000rpm and continue on for a bit but cease if you wring it's neck.
This is not normal vibration and as someone pointed out, at this point it goes from what you expect to feel in the handlebars to extra vibration there and is now in the foot-pegs where there was previously none discernible.
Really, if I wanted a vibrating bike I would have bought a HD.

So I'm coming to the view that the problem is probably coming from the head area - maybe valves, cause if it's tappets I can't see them lasting very long even if they have been beefed up.

Vasco DG

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 03:33:00 AM »
S'not related to tappet design. If it was all roller engines would vibrate. I don't have enough experience with later Stelvios to know what is *Normal* and what isn't but the few I have ridden have had a high frequency buzz at that annoying 'Cruise' point. Different fuelling doesn't seem to affect it so it has to be some sort of 'Physical' manifestation. Yes, almost certainly a harmonic of some sort.

Pete

Offline WitchCityGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 08:52:19 AM »
The more I hear the more I'm convinced that the vibration between about 3600 and 4000 rpm is NOT unusual.  I started asking about this a few months ago as it drives me nuts. My dealer, Seacoast Sport Cycles in New Hampshire has a stellar reputation and some truly exceptional tech's starting with one of the co-owners. They walked me through their tuning process knowing that I had a complaint and the vibration is still very much present. I may try some ROX anti vibe risers but that will only be a band aid as it is a systemic vibration in the pegs and everywhere. The big downside to the vibes is the resultant fatigue. PITA to have to keep shifting gears to either stay above or below.

Stellar reputation?

They rollerized my Stelvio at the beginning of the season. I got it back from them with: 1. a bad intake leak 2. valve adjustment off by nearly twice as much as spec 3. throttle bodies way out of balance 4. TPS not set.  All things that are specified in the tech bulletin for the change. When I picked it up, I was told by the tech that it was a "sweet running Stelvio". I could tell when he started it up to take it out of the shop it wasn't right. 

A year or so ago, I had them change the transmission and rear drive oils (I didn't have the time before heading out on a trip) and they stripped the drain plug in the transmission. I had to install a timecert when I found it stripped on an oil change. They of course denied it.

I've had similar issues with them with my wifes Griso.

Nice guys, but stellar isn't the term I'd use.

If you have a vibration down at that range, I still believe the throttle bodies are out of whack. FWIW, I have zero vibration in my pegs unless I'm running knobbies.  3600-4000 rpm is my normal highway rpm and I have very little vibration. It's not normal. Did they check the engine mounting bolts for tightness? How many miles on the bike? I found that until you hit 10,000 miles on these, they don't run as smoothly.

I guess there's always the possibility that I'm not as sensitive to it, but I doubt it.

If you're local to NH/Mass, you're welcome to swing by my garage and I can check your throttle body balance and if you want, I can load Xlratr's map in. That may smooth things out for you.
2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
It should be obvious to anyone who has an interest in this thread that the vibration problem is confined to the latest model Stelvios, i.e. the Tenni green ones, thanks for telling us that your earlier model doesn't vibrate but that's just rubbing it in.

I won't get into 'where' the vibes originate from. There is no way to reverse engineer Guzzi logic. Don't try.

The bikes gets better with miles. Trust me (and others) here.

Do the throttle body sync AT THE PROBLEM RPM. This will help with the vibration. Reset the TPS.
Fill the bars 3/4 full with lead shot. This will help mitigate the vibrations from getting to your hands.
Get rid of the US turn signal-mirror combo if you have it and convert to Euro spec. That helped a ton on my bike.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »

Any comments from other Stelvio owners?  Anyone? bd

Anyone here, drop a gear and keep it above 4K. The 8V begs to be reved. Running your 8V below 4k is lugging it. It ain't your uncles old Eldo. My rollerized 12' NTX is sweet at 4200 to the top. Between 3 and 4k it has always felt like my V11S even with the flat tappers in it.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 08:47:50 PM »
Wow, talk about a thread hijack!!

guzzimaster, glad you are happy with your new Stelvio.  Enjoy it in good health!!  :bike-037:

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

kenebar

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 10:58:46 PM »
Wow, talk about a thread hijack!

No, we are not talking about thread a hijack here Shaun we are talking about the new Stelvios.
I'm glad guzzimaster has enjoyed his first ride on his new Stelvio as I did on mine and as I initially said I liked everything about it but this glaring problem.
Of course I wanted to like so much I initially ignored the vibration problem but a couple of long, three day rides was more than enough to convince me that this is something that no-one should have to put up with and, as another contributor has said, it makes your trip more tiring.
Airing the problem has brought confirmation from others like SP Moto, Grinmul and (to some extent) from Vasco DG and lots of sensible, practicable suggestions that might well lead to a solution from kirb, WitchCityGuzzi and others.

You just can't sweep these things under the carpet, not for very long anyway.
I am not attacking the marque here but trying to address a problem that seems to have slipped through the system for whatever reason and I am looking for a solution.
Being able to air such problems here is one of the strengths of this board and, I would think, is a large part of its raison d'etre.

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
I know fpr a fact that Guzzimaster was out riding his new Stelvio in the rain this morning. I am probably going to beg a (2-up) test ride soon. My wife and I, not Guzzimaster and me, you dirty-minded */#%!es!

Bill Lovelady      IS
Eskimo Spy
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline motrhead

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »

No it wasn't obvious, and I still think your throttle bodies are out of synch. I did not intend to rub it in, but I am wondering what bikes you were riding before the Stelvio? I don't think there is really much difference between early and late models myself...
'03 V11 LeMans
'11 Stelvio

kenebar

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »
you dirty-minded */#%!es

All I've tried to do here is find a solution to a problem that myself and others are having and I've done this without abusing anyone so I naturally don't appreciate receiving personal abuse for my efforts.
You don't of course have to agree with me but lets keep it civil please.
It's not a large problem but is certainly an annoying one.
motrhead, I've had the Tappets set and throttle bodies synched by someone that I trust so they can be eliminated.
I had a phone conversation with Vasco DG today and he thinks that because none of the other 8 valves behave this way, and more importantly neither do the Gold 1200 Stelvios, then the answer may lie in the crash guards and a harmonic resonance so I'll be checking their attachments anchors tomorrow as it seems to make sense that as a plucked string vibrates, the crash guards could possibly vibrate if allowed.
Vasco has also recommended a different engine oil mixture which I'll try this week.

Vasco DG

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »
Not engine oil. Gearbox oil. Try a cocktail of half 75/90 and half 85/140. If that quieten a it down significantly when hot then it points to an internal problem but as I've said before the 1200 gearboxes are seemingly pretty much bulletproof.

Pete

Offline canuck1969

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 08:33:30 PM »
All I've tried to do here is find a solution to a problem that myself and others are having and I've done this without abusing anyone so I naturally don't appreciate receiving personal abuse for my efforts.
You don't of course have to agree with me but lets keep it civil please.
It's not a large problem but is certainly an annoying one.
motrhead, I've had the Tappets set and throttle bodies synched by someone that I trust so they can be eliminated.
I had a phone conversation with Vasco DG today and he thinks that because none of the other 8 valves behave this way, and more importantly neither do the Gold 1200 Stelvios, then the answer may lie in the crash guards and a harmonic resonance so I'll be checking their attachments anchors tomorrow as it seems to make sense that as a plucked string vibrates, the crash guards could possibly vibrate if allowed.
Vasco has also recommended a different engine oil mixture which I'll try this week.

Well first off, don't think anyone was abusing you, you were not listening to what people were saying, including me.  I posted last week with a link that would have led you to where you are right now, the crash bars. But you seemed to take offence when I commented on your RPMs so the post was taken down. 

Because I am such a nice Canadian, here is the link again. 

http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/stelvio-handle-bar-vibrations-cause.9397/#post-110731

Read through the first part were I experimented with the bars.  They may just be loose.  Tighten all points to 18ft/lbs except for the rear swingarm bolt (50 NM oiled).  I would add some antiseize to them first, but that is just me, as see what happens.  Failing that, cruising at 100 kph in 6th gear will make the bike rumble especially if you are in a hilly area.  I rarely run in 6th gear below 100 kph.  It will do it as the engine has plenty of torque and it is ok if it is flat and the throttle inputs are small, but in hilly areas, or if you accelerate quickly it will rumble. Drop it to 5th or even 4th dependent on the roads.

If you don't like the advise, please ignore it as someone else may find the solution to their problems.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:47:09 AM by canuck1969 »

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 10:35:03 PM »
Hey, Kenebar! Lighten up,man. My post wasn't aimed at you. It was praising Guzzimaster for riding 60 or 70 miles in the rain to have breakfast with us.
Sorry, but it's not about you.

Bill Lovelady     IS
Eskimo Spy
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here