Author Topic: Moto Guzzi Needs to Hire Better Translators  (Read 7477 times)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Moto Guzzi Needs to Hire Better Translators
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:05:37 AM »
You know, people who can actually speak English...

Their website and brochures suffer I think from too much ESL (English as a second language). How hard can it be to write "comfort" instead of "confort," or "attachments" instead of "attacks"?

For example: http://v9.motoguzzi.com/en/doc/guzzi-v9-accessories.pdf

I am neither an ad man nor a translator (I do not even speak Italian), but I dare say I could do a decent job of cleaning up their ad copy. In fact, many of us could!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Toystoretom

• New Egg
Re: Moto Guzzi Needs to Hire Better Translators
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »
Wow. The pictures aren't so hot either, my cat could do better with a cell phone. But at least they are trying.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »
Or, how about this?

"Cover replacing tires footrest pilot, grip provided by the diamond pattern of processing aluminum billet anodized."
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
Or, how about this?

"Cover replacing tires footrest pilot, grip provided by the diamond pattern of processing aluminum billet anodized."

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
Sounds a lot better than "flimsy pot metal casting"  :cool: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
I had a foreign language teacher in high school that used the phrase "throw the cow over the fence some hay" when describing literal translation.
Joe Walano

George_S

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »
I had a very similar teacher that used this- " Throw your mother down the stairs her slippers."

canuguzzi

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
Learn Italian. It isn't their fault you speak English.

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 01:03:58 PM »
Learn Italian. It isn't their fault you speak English.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We have this type of discussion every now and then , and some of the Japanese or Italian to English translations are really humorous . Our esteemed member Phang , who speaks something like 4 languages provided a couple of funny English to I think Chinese translations . Any of you know any funny translations going that direction ? Several years back one of our running buddies earned the name Hodgie Dough because he was always saying "I am gonna get some dough and get hodgie . I understand a little bit of a few American Indian languages and the first time hearing the nickname it caused me to laugh hysterically . In most Western Indian tongues it translates roughly to drunken woman . Well , in polite company anyway . Never told anyone that , at least not at the time , the guy wore the nickname proudly , plus it provided a couple of my Indian friends with a constant source of amusement  :evil:

Dusty

Offline Red07

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 01:11:09 PM »
"throw the cow over the fence some hay" when describing literal translation.

That's funny!  That's the way the old Germans talk in Hosmer, South Dakota.  Another good one:  "make off the light".

Randy

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »
That's funny!  That's the way the old Germans talk in Hosmer, South Dakota.  Another good one:  "make off the light".

Randy

:laugh: :laugh:

Western NoDak . "Back your tractor a little ahead"  :huh: When asking for directions in the rural part of W NoDak , often times the reply will go like this . "Lemme think , yah , ya pass two coolies, and when ya come ta the new carpass , ya got tah turn left  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 01:34:34 PM »
I had a very similar teacher that used this- " Throw your mother down the stairs her slippers."

HA!
That's Pennsylvania Dutch. 
Maybe they really meant "Contort" and "attack".

Posted by: JeffOlson
« on: Today at 11:05:37 AM »

How hard can it be to write "comfort" instead of "confort," or "attachments" instead of "attacks"?
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 04:18:14 PM »
In the 1500's the Spanish had a warship called the 'Cacafeugo', proudly named to scare the enemy but probably had them laughing hysterically.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »
  In the sixties one of the books that came with a Honda about using their bike said," When approached by big festive dog
 tootle the horn melodiously".
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 09:26:08 PM »
My ex and I moved to the DC Burbs in the early 80's and bonded with the couple across from us.  Scott worked for an ad agency before ho worked for De Tomaso and he told me about an add that ran in Mexico for Frank Pedue. His ads in the US were 'It takes a Tough Man to Raise a Tender Chicken".   
  Their translation read it takes a" Macho Man to raise an Amorous Chicken".
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 09:28:46 PM »
 Oh DAMN Walt , that is hilarious  :laugh: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 05:31:26 AM »
My wife is reading a book right now about miss-communication through translation, albiet it is about German speakers trying to speak English.

For example, a lady wanting two scoops of ice cream asked for 'two balls of ice'. Many more funny examples in the book. she is constantly laughing!

I have been in Germany now for nearly 4 full years, and I still cannot follow conversations among my colleagues. Mostly because the speak Schwäbisch and not German.

Tom
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 08:18:15 AM »
1962 Safety Rules from Honda

1. At the rise of the hand by Policeman, stop rapidly. Do not pass him by or otherwise disrespect him.

2. When a passenger of the foot, hooves in sight, tootel the horn trumpet melodiously at first. If he still obstacles your passage, tootel him with vigor and express by word of mouth, warning Hi, Hi.

3. Beware of the wandering horse that he shall not take fright as you pass him. Do not explode the exhaust box at him. Go soothingly by.

4. Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

5. Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon. ! Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

George_S

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »
In this day and age where pedestrians can do no wrong, repeatedly blowing your horn and then yelling at one will get you pulled over and probably two summonses.  :police:

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 02:30:22 PM »
In this day and age where pedestrians can do no wrong, repeatedly blowing your horn and then yelling at one will get you pulled over and probably two summonses.  :police:

That's why you "tootle the horn melodiously" and say "HI"  :laugh: Heck , even in Joisey that should be acceptable  :evil:

Dusty

George_S

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »
That's why you "tootle the horn melodiously" and say "HI"  :laugh: Heck , even in Joisey that should be acceptable  :evil:

Dusty

Around here, used to be pedestrians had to cross at a crosswalk. Then there was an educational campaign to let motorists know that there doesn't have to be a painted crosswalk, as long as they were crossing where a crosswalk could be painted (like near an intersection). Now the powers-that-be are saying drivers must yield to pedestrians anywhere. What happened to jaywalking? What happened to "Cross at the green and not in between" like we were taught?

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »
  In the sixties one of the books that came with a Honda about using their bike said," When approached by big festive dog
 tootle the horn melodiously".

And 50 years later, I'm still waiting for that dog with my thumb hoovering over the tootler as I wend my merry way. 
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 03:09:51 PM »
Around here, used to be pedestrians had to cross at a crosswalk. Then there was an educational campaign to let motorists know that there doesn't have to be a painted crosswalk, as long as they were crossing where a crosswalk could be painted (like near an intersection). Now the powers-that-be are saying drivers must yield to pedestrians anywhere. What happened to jaywalking? What happened to "Cross at the green and not in between" like we were taught?

Before automobiles completely saturated America pedestrians always had the right of way . It took a major campaign by the industry to change that , sounds like NJ is reverting back . Not saying it is right, just find it interesting .

Dusty

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »
Cool Running's Thanks for the Honda literature, very funny.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 03:33:04 PM »
In this day and age, there's no excuse for poor translation especially when it comes to instruction manuals or online materials. That's what the profession of technical writing is all about. It's no big deal to contract translation or, even if the writer isn't mutilingual, contract Google translation out to a writer.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »
Or you could wait for the new V9 made of (according to Guzzi website) the noble aluminum material and featuring more elasticity and torque.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 03:35:14 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We have this type of discussion every now and then , and some of the Japanese or Italian to English translations are really humorous . Our esteemed member Phang , who speaks something like 4 languages provided a couple of funny English to I think Chinese translations . Any of you know any funny translations going that direction ? Several years back one of our running buddies earned the name Hodgie Dough because he was always saying "I am gonna get some dough and get hodgie . I understand a little bit of a few American Indian languages and the first time hearing the nickname it caused me to laugh hysterically . In most Western Indian tongues it translates roughly to drunken woman . Well , in polite company anyway . Never told anyone that , at least not at the time , the guy wore the nickname proudly , plus it provided a couple of my Indian friends with a constant source of amusement  :evil:

Dusty

One thing I learnt when doing translation for friends or writing in a particular language is, you got to think in that language in your mind before you pen it down otherwise you will get funny phrases.

Since you guys are on the language topic, there is a word that I don't fully understand the meaning even it is a Chinese word. I read the explanation in wikipedia and various online dictionaries but didn't capture the true meaning of this word, what is the meaning of "Gung Ho" actually?  :grin:
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

BigDave in PA

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 06:19:02 AM »
Since you guys are on the language topic, there is a word that I don't fully understand the meaning even it is a Chinese word. I read the explanation in wikipedia and various online dictionaries but didn't capture the true meaning of this word, what is the meaning of "Gung Ho" actually?  :grin:

I'm not sure but it might be a Chinese reference to a prostitute.  :grin: 

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »
One thing I learnt when doing translation for friends or writing in a particular language is, you got to think in that language in your mind before you pen it down otherwise you will get funny phrases.

Hi Phang.  How is Google Translate doing now in avoiding funny phrases?  My boring self sees these errors as funny but also as evidence of poor quality control.

We WG'ers remain Gung Ho about Guzzi despite occasional CARC snappings, puddle drippings, and tappet thrashings.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 07:14:37 AM »
I'm not sure but it might be a Chinese reference to a prostitute.  :grin:

That's possible as no one seems to use the correct word except the news reporter  :grin:

Nic, I don't think Google Translate can replace a human translator, at least not in the near future.

When I watch Top Gear at home via cable TV, it has Chinese sub-titles on the screen. I can catch up with the British accent but sometimes I will read the sub-titles for amusement.

As Jeremy Clarkson says "... the carbon ceramic brake disk will minimise brake fade..." the sub-title translated most of the words correctly but "brake fade" to "brake fading colour" in Chinese.

That's one of the many examples. My point is, you got to get a motorhead/gearhead who understand both languages to do the job if you want an accurate translation.

2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here