Author Topic: This is bad (maybe)..  (Read 7672 times)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: This is bad...
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
Even 20 years ago the German TUV inspection required one to have the OEM exhaust on a motorcycle.  I see something similar for our bikes at some time in the future.  Why?  Well, like most things we (Americans) do, anything worth doing is worth over-doing.  That applies to motorcycle exhaust systems.  If a bit less muffling is good then it's gotta be even better to totally eliminate the mufflers.  Now we have straight exhaust systems as a fairly common situation and the public is getting pissed.  I know I hate to ride anywhere near one of those machines.  The typical car driver is not a bike lover to begin with, add an obnoxious noise machine to the mix and over time you will find some laws to keep the majority happy.  We already have gated communities that do not allow motorcycles at all, no exceptions.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »
Gentlemen,. the major divide is probably along age lines, with older riders not enjoying loud vehicles while young un think they are wonderful.   

Tell that to all the drag piped Harley riding grey beards out there.   :huh:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »
Tell that to all the drag piped Harley riding grey beards out there.   :huh:

You will need a chalkboard  :evil:

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »
Like many regulations of this nature, the proposed bill will not provide for the means to enforce it at the public level; it won't stop the individual from doing whatever.

It is [already] illegal to modify your fuel and exhaust system to operate outside of EPA regs 

One of the few times I agree with Norge Pilot...

EPA does not have an enforcement arm.  There are may EPA regulations/laws that are on the books already, and are not being enforced.

Local law enforcement officials have better things to do than enforce EPA regs out of the goodness of their hearts.  Local sound ordinances sort of work for loud pipes, but from what I see, enforcement for the local noise ordinances is pretty lax.  They actually suspend the ordinance in my town for the annual "biker rally" that brings tens of thousands of loud-assed bikes to town.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
Even 20 years ago the German TUV inspection required one to have the OEM exhaust on a motorcycle.  I see something similar for our bikes at some time in the future.  Why?  Well, like most things we (Americans) do, anything worth doing is worth over-doing.  That applies to motorcycle exhaust systems.   

Peter, are you saying that you believe we will have FEDERAL inspections for vehicles?  I don't see it happening.  Inspection and licensing of vehicles is a States issue.  My State currently has NO annual inspection for vehicles.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
One of the few times I agree with Norge Pilot...

EPA does not have an enforcement arm.  There are may EPA regulations/laws that are on the books already, and are not being enforced.

Local law enforcement officials have better things to do than enforce EPA regs out of the goodness of their hearts.  Local sound ordinances sort of work for loud pipes, but from what I see, enforcement for the local noise ordinances is pretty lax.  They actually suspend the ordinance in my town for the annual "biker rally" that brings tens of thousands of loud-assed bikes to town.

Seems this bill is designed more to choke off the supply of aftermarket pipes than to enforce any street level laws . As others have stated , the noise thing may be secondary . Most modern bikes can be made to run fine with stock exhausts . It's funny , I asked my cop buddy why the locall po po didn't do more to enforce the noise ordinance re unmuffled bikes , he said they just didn't have the time . My smartass reply was ,"yeah , that might eat into your eff off time"  :laugh: He threatened to make me walk home , I threatened to leave him stranded the next time his MC broke down  :grin:

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »
Seems this bill is designed more to choke off the supply of aftermarket pipes than to enforce any street level laws . 

Dusty

From the article:

"The bill, introduced in regard to greenhouse gas emissions and fuel economy for heavy-duty vehicles could possibly make it illegal to convert a motor vehicle certified for on-highway use into a vehicle to be used in off-highway competition.

Yes, this would mean that you would no longer be allowed to install an aftermarket racing exhaust on your sportbike to convert it for closed-course racing, or track-day riding. "

We're already "prohibited" from installing "closed-course" equipments on our road bikes, but everyone does it.

Without enforcement, a new law would mean nothing.  I could order an exhaust directly from Italy and install it on my bike.  How can they stop that ?  They can't.  And since no local law enforcement will care, I don't see how this new law will do anything.

EPA will have to hire enforcement people to go out to all the race tracks and inspect vehicles.  Somehow, I don't see that happening.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2016, 11:49:18 AM »

My car has to pass EPA regulations when tested once a year. That is some form of EPA/state cooperation. It is only required in a few counties around Atlanta. As is the EPA requirement for oxygenated fuel.

Motorcycle noise/emissions regs are a 'self inflicted wound.'
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »
From the article:

"The bill, introduced in regard to greenhouse gas emissions and fuel economy for heavy-duty vehicles could possibly make it illegal to convert a motor vehicle certified for on-highway use into a vehicle to be used in off-highway competition.

Yes, this would mean that you would no longer be allowed to install an aftermarket racing exhaust on your sportbike to convert it for closed-course racing, or track-day riding. "

We're already "prohibited" from installing "closed-course" equipments on our road bikes, but everyone does it.

I'm not arguing the merits of the bill , only that it has been misrepresented as a noise law . Have been reading about this for a few months , and mostly the experts seem to believe it is directed at preventing an easy path to circumventing emission regs .

I can only speak from experience re the enforcement of Federal/State/local laws . Once again , my po po buddies , a retired captain from the local PD , and a State Trooper are both more likely to enforce a Federal law . Seems as though the concern that the Feds might investigate the lack of enforcement of a Federal law resulting in fines or worse is a larger concern than disregarding a state or local law . In other words , if the Feds tell the locals to enforce a law , and any exhaust system is obviously to loud , it makes it easy to do .

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here