Author Topic: Help needed, Berwick, PA  (Read 8635 times)

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Help needed, Berwick, PA
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 08:24:15 AM »
Good story RK.  :cool:
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
  I read quite frequently about folks shipping a bike across the country for 500-700 bucks with one of the bike transport companies. Why doesn't it apply in this case? Seems a workable solution to the problem at hand....

Edit: I see the other thread has addressed this issue with the same suggestion.

To get that price, you have to be willing to wait until they have a load going your way. It might be a month or more.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

K250

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »
Roadkill that is the best trip report I've read in a LONG time!  Good job. 

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »
Is that EV still hanging in there and going?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 12:34:54 AM »
Roadkill that is the best trip report I've read in a LONG time!  Good job.

I was 18.  That BSA has taught me a lot in the 40+ years since.

The purpose in retelling was to give our OP some encouragement.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2016, 09:48:08 AM »
well GK what did you wind up doing?
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »
That's right.  You're not all in California paying $3 per gallon when lucky.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Fuel has been under $2/gal here in flyover country for quite some time, now.

The Wal-Mart down the street from my office is currently $1.98/gal.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2016, 11:28:19 AM »
well GK what did you wind up doing?

He has been up in Canada for a while in a rental car, so he doesn't spoil his vacation.
Later this week he will get back to the EV and let us know more. He said the spark plugs were black, but no "hard bits" stuck in them. So I don't think the motor is broken, just something simple like a bad TPS. Maybe a bad clutch, but I would think he would recognize that at the lever.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2016, 11:33:39 AM »
In 1999, out in the middle of nowhere Utah, my Sport 1100 started acting like that.

Intermittently running on one cylinder below 4500 rpm.

I looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong, so nursed it into the dealer at Salt Lake City.

In a few minutes, the mechanic there discovered the left plug wire burned inside the plug cap.  I had not thought to remove the NGK plug cap and look at the end of the plug wire.

Anyway, he snipped about a quarter inch off that wire and screwed the plug cap back on.  The bike has been running fine on that wire ever since!

So yeah.  It's probably something simple.  Plug wire, TPS, side stand switch, etc...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »
In 1999, out in the middle of nowhere Utah, my Sport 1100 started acting like that.

Intermittently running on one cylinder below 4500 rpm.

I looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong, so nursed it into the dealer at Salt Lake City.

In a few minutes, the mechanic there discovered the left plug wire burned inside the plug cap.  I had not thought to remove the NGK plug cap and look at the end of the plug wire.

Anyway, he snipped about a quarter inch off that wire and screwed the plug cap back on.  The bike has been running fine on that wire ever since!

So yeah.  It's probably something simple.  Plug wire, TPS, side stand switch, etc...
I once had similar problem. turned out to be plug wire. you could try cutting down the plug end an inch or so (if it's long enough) and re-seat the cap..

also could be a tank vent problem?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2016, 07:09:56 PM »
Fuel prices mentioned above make me green with envy. Currently in NZ we are paying  $5.35 USD per us gallon at the pump!!! .... and I don't like it!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:10:42 PM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »
You guys are treated like the EU tax wise.   :tongue:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »
True. And it's something I would like to change.  You should see the price of tobacco too!

New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2016, 06:08:50 PM »
Aren't manufactured goods taxed heavily too?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2016, 06:31:33 PM »
True. And it's something I would like to change.  You should see the price of tobacco too!

Let's talk about addictive drugs, John.. Oh, never mind.  :smiley: The 20 year old kid that is working for me chews.  :rolleyes: I've mentioned as gently as I can that it's an addictive drug. Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I've done. You're old enough to know better.  :evil: After Dorcia surviving breast cancer (so far) and my little cancer thing (prostate and kidney) I *could* get get on a soap box about adding to your chances with tobacco. I guess I just did.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

twowings

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 06:37:42 PM »
Kiwis are too damn ornery!

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »
Aussies are.  Not Kiwi's.  :grin:  Ask Pete.  Oh......wait, he's a reject Brit.   :evil: :tongue: :grin:

Offline guzziknight

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2016, 09:03:42 PM »
Just got back to Hartford. Got new Iridium plugs and put them in. The ones I took out didn't look too bad. The right one was a little darker than the left. Checked the plug wires, which didn't look bad to me. Took it out for a ride with my wife on the back.

It ran slightly better than before. After it warmed up, it started to hesitate again, at times very strongly. It did struggle a little when I got gas and restarted it, but it didn't die at least.

I think the plugs helped a little, but didn't solve the problem. I really believe it's the TPS. Going to ride it home, taking my time getting there. If it starts to have serious problems, I'll get it towed.
Blue Knights Georgia VII
Iron Butt Association #18342
Moto Guzzi National Owners Club #L-773

Four Wheels Move the Body. Two Wheels Move the Soul.

Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist."

Atlanta, GA

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2016, 09:33:41 PM »
That's hanging in there!  Perhaps someone in the area will ride sweep for you or give you some bases to touch on the way home.  I would, but it's just too darn inconvenient for me.   :boozing:

Remember -- if you give up now, the terrorists win!

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2016, 02:34:07 AM »
Buy or borrow a cheap multimeter
Measure from plug cap to chassis, both sides should be similar about 8,000 ohms from memory, the point is they should be similar left to right.
Measure Voltage to chassis at the TPS it should increase smoothly from about 150 mV to jut over 4 V as you open the throttle

There are 3 wires to the TPS
One will have a steady 5 Volts on it
One will be 0 Volts or chassis
The third is the one of interest 150 mV** to over 4.5 Volts, I believe it goes to pin 30 of the P8 ECU and pin 11 of the 15M but you can access the wire
directly by making a nick in the insulation or poking it with a sewing pin.

** the 150 mV is with the butterfly fully closed, more like 400 - 450 mV at idle setting.

A Voltage test is really the only way, Ohms makes no sense since it's NOT a simple potentiometer as the schematics show
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:02:42 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2016, 07:44:26 AM »
Just got back to Hartford. Got new Iridium plugs and put them in. The ones I took out didn't look too bad. The right one was a little darker than the left. Checked the plug wires, which didn't look bad to me. Took it out for a ride with my wife on the back.

It ran slightly better than before. After it warmed up, it started to hesitate again, at times very strongly. It did struggle a little when I got gas and restarted it, but it didn't die at least.

I think the plugs helped a little, but didn't solve the problem. I really believe it's the TPS. Going to ride it home, taking my time getting there. If it starts to have serious problems, I'll get it towed.

I wonder if  the TPS has shifted position, or failed. Or something related to it like that temperature sensor switch that you have. Maybe it is rich, meaning, it will run worse when hot.
Keep an eye on the oil level. If the oil level goes UP, or gets thinned out by gasoline, it may be time to stop riding it until fixed.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

LaMojo

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2016, 07:45:38 AM »
With the hesitating occurring over various speeds and increases as the engine warms up somewhat, I would doubt that the TPS is the issue.  I would suspect one of the coils breaking down under load.  Of course, as others have have said, it could be a plug cap or the HV wire ends.  But not being there, its just a guess.  Any car shop that has an oscilloscope should be able to determine the problem if it is ignition related.   

Have a safe and a trouble free trip back home.

LaMojo

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2016, 07:54:50 AM »

.....All because my piece of shit motorcycle kept breaking down and stranding me.  So hang in there.  These things can work out even when they don't seem to be.  :)

Great story.  Its amazing things you can do and put up with when one is young and naive.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here