Author Topic: Going off the grid  (Read 7186 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Going off the grid
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 02:40:33 PM »
Thanks for the good thoughts, folks!

The Isuzu truck is safely in Washington.  There was minor drama when I pulled into the Mukeltio ferry dock with the right front brake smoking, but otherwise it was uneventful.  I leave to meet the trike on Sat.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 02:41:57 PM »
It's alright , everyone else is mad at me , frankly I could give a pile of buffalo poop less ...

Dusty

Sorry, Dusty.  That was supposed to be a friendly shout-out.

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »
Sorry, Dusty.  That was supposed to be a friendly shout-out.

Yeah I know , sorry , was not having the best of days  :embarrassed:

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »
I haven't been paying attention so I don't know if this is a voluntary situation.
I hope so because that's the way you want it and if that's the case I think your chances of having a good time are much greater.
If it's forced by finances or something else it's not so good and I hope you get plenty of support through a tough time.

I am sensitive to that situation at the moment because we have had to take steps to manage /damage control the way it is with our current neighbours from hell. I have been feeling kind of homeless during this time as our lifestyle has been ruined by noisy abusive gun happy idiots for most of this year.
Up till then we were living in isolated idyllic country with peace and birdsong and beauty as our companions.

So all the best Rodekyll, hope it works out for you.

I'm in this situation because I was under the knife three times this year and five times in the last three years.  Those events came on the tail of 7 years of a debilitating mystery illness that has affected my mobility.  The inability to work and the medical expenses exceeded my income, and then my savings.  The mobility problems and surgery/recovery cycles made it impossible to hunt/fish/garden my food.  I could no longer afford to keep the house up, and I have to sell it to get the bills under control.  If I did not leave when I did there would be no way out of Sitka for me.

I'm trying to look at the future as a continuation of what I was doing when life got in the way 40 years ago -- knocking about the country on a motorcycle, meeting people and seeing the land with no particular schedule or route.  I hope to see who and where some of the guzzisti are, and share a bit of regional life in the lower 48.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 03:01:31 PM »
We'll be easier to find than you - so now it's on your shoulders!

At the advice of many, I'm going to get some data in my phone so I can do internet better from the road.  :)

Also, if this tablet works out as a gps (and it looks like it will) I'll be wanting to return your loaner.   :thumb:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »
Yay! There is a God.  :boozing:

This is without a doubt the most shameful thing anyone on this site has ever said about another member, ever.  You trolled my topic with a public celebration of God's justice for my illness and homelessness?  I've got some detractors on this forum, but the rest have the simple human decency to keep their delight at my pain private. 

This blows past the level of internet trolling and bullying.  It's a personal attack below the threshold of decent human behavior.  It's unworthy of Guzzisti.  You are not part of the Wild Guzzi community.  You need to be banned. 

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 05:49:32 PM »
This is without a doubt the most shameful thing anyone on this site has ever said about another member, ever.  You trolled my topic with a public celebration of God's justice for my illness and homelessness?  I've got some detractors on this forum, but the rest have the simple human decency to keep their delight at my pain private. 

This blows past the level of internet trolling and bullying.  It's a personal attack below the threshold of decent human behavior.  It's unworthy of Guzzisti.  You are not part of the Wild Guzzi community.  You need to be banned.

Without knowing any background to this I can assume it might have been meant as a joke. If it was not, then I agree. Heavy censure would be justified.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 10:14:44 PM »
Without knowing any background to this I can assume it might have been meant as a joke. If it was not, then I agree. Heavy censure would be justified.

John, we've both had a lot of concern and support from the WG community during our illnesses, both moral and material.  That's the way a community works -- when life gets real, and the 'real' is ugly, the crew has your back.  In your case, the crew dragged you back.    :thewife:  If an established troll got up in the public forum and celebrated your heart attack as the justice of God, would it have been funny to you?  To anyone?  Anywhere? Ever?

Kentktk has a long history of trolling WildGuzzi.  I have at times called him out on it.  Like he's done here, and I am responding.  His continuous disruption of topics by member baiting and injections of inflammatory comments have caused a lot of threads to be pulled and a lot of useful information to be lost.  He pushes the rules as hard as he can.  Every time it happens, the guys that take the hours to think out and write the lost information are more reluctant to repeat the process next time.  Folks that have something productive to contribute don't want to jump into a deliberately induced shitstorm, and nobody wants to read it.  So WG loses regularly for a sad little troll's amusement.

Take a random read of a few pages of his posts.  I did, just to be sure my post is reasonable.  His history is dominated by boorish taunts, baiting, and disruption, and in 55 pages offer nothing of value to WildGuzzi.  He usually appears from under his bridge only to disrupt the group.

So I have no reason to believe this is meant as a joke; it is classic internet trolling at its lowest.  I believe him serious, and I think he's crossed lines both for the limits of WildGuzzi and civility.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 10:24:21 PM »
But back on topic, I rented a brushing weed whacker with a nasty sawblade on the end of the wand.  I brushed out a pad area for the Isuzu truck.  There were rhododendrons, salal, madrona saplings and blueberries to deal with below, and a flood watch's worth of rain from above.  Took about 4 hours.  Yeah, I'm wet.  It's not quite level,  :shocked: but nothing is going to grow up through the truck underbody, either.  Tomorrow I have some guy coming to help dig the Rodekyll out as well as some stuff to be stored inside, like rollarounds and the guitar collection.  That should kill the afternoon.  Saturday I head for the trike.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 11:14:09 PM »
  If an established troll got up in the public forum and celebrated your heart attack as the justice of God, would it have been funny to you?  To anyone?  Anywhere? Ever?

You are quite right RK. I would have been somewhat less than amused. Sounds like this is a case of the bug that needs squishing!

(And yes, WG has been beyond supportive. I thing I'll never forget.)
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Kentktk

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 11:44:43 PM »
John, we've both had a lot of concern and support from the WG community during our illnesses, both moral and material.  That's the way a community works -- when life gets real, and the 'real' is ugly, the crew has your back.  In your case, the crew dragged you back.    :thewife:  If an established troll got up in the public forum and celebrated your heart attack as the justice of God, would it have been funny to you?  To anyone?  Anywhere? Ever?

Kentktk has a long history of trolling WildGuzzi.  I have at times called him out on it.  Like he's done here, and I am responding.  His continuous disruption of topics by member baiting and injections of inflammatory comments have caused a lot of threads to be pulled and a lot of useful information to be lost.  He pushes the rules as hard as he can.  Every time it happens, the guys that take the hours to think out and write the lost information are more reluctant to repeat the process next time.  Folks that have something productive to contribute don't want to jump into a deliberately induced shitstorm, and nobody wants to read it.  So WG loses regularly for a sad little troll's amusement.

Take a random read of a few pages of his posts.  I did, just to be sure my post is reasonable.  His history is dominated by boorish taunts, baiting, and disruption, and in 55 pages offer nothing of value to WildGuzzi.  He usually appears from under his bridge only to disrupt the group.

So I have no reason to believe this is meant as a joke; it is classic internet trolling at its lowest.  I believe him serious, and I think he's crossed lines both for the limits of WildGuzzi and civility.

I in no way wish you ill will and in no way desire to see you suffer in any way. My comment was just meant to make light of no one to argue with anymore. I was not aware of your health issues.
We have had heated differences of opinions. I for the most part enjoyed the banter and never took it seriously enough as to think of it as anything more than a very lively argument. I hope for your well being.
Some of my posts do have useful information and some are opinion laced just like anyones. Particularly ( as you know) when it comes to the company Microsoft which has turned my community into a place I no longer enjoy and I do hate that company.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:43:18 AM by Kentktk »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 01:58:48 AM »
"Yay! There is a God.  :boozing:"

=

I in no way wish you ill will and in no way desire to see you suffer in any way. My comment was just meant to make light of no one to argue with anymore. I was not aware of your health issues.
We have had heated differences of opinions. I for the most part enjoyed the banter and never took it seriously enough as to think of it as anything more than a very lively argument. I hope for your well being.
Some of my posts do have useful information and some are opinion laced just like anyones. Particularly ( as you know) when it comes to the company Microsoft which has turned my community into a place I no longer enjoy and I do hate that company.

?

Are we reading the same thing?  Because I don't get any "I in no way wish you ill will and have no way desire to see you suffer in any way." out of quote #1.  What I get is "Good for you, you deserve it" and then later in quote #2 use my topic as yet another opportunity to troll.  Bring on the Microsoft bait, indeed!  You thought the bar was set lower than it is, and now you're stuck under it in plain view.  Spin that.

You've been on your murder/suicide campaign ever since you ran Vasco off and became the official "most-hated troll on WildGuzzi".  Sometimes it's better for you to just shut up.  Stay out of my topics, Kentktk.  You are not welcome here.  You are not worthy.

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2016, 04:33:30 AM »
I'm in this situation because I was under the knife three times this year and five times in the last three years.  Those events came on the tail of 7 years of a debilitating mystery illness that has affected my mobility.  The inability to work and the medical expenses exceeded my income, and then my savings.  The mobility problems and surgery/recovery cycles made it impossible to hunt/fish/garden my food.  I could no longer afford to keep the house up, and I have to sell it to get the bills under control.  If I did not leave when I did there would be no way out of Sitka for me.

I'm trying to look at the future as a continuation of what I was doing when life got in the way 40 years ago -- knocking about the country on a motorcycle, meeting people and seeing the land with no particular schedule or route.  I hope to see who and where some of the guzzisti are, and share a bit of regional life in the lower 48.
Thanks for your answer. I hope life will get better for you with this move. My father was what we call a Grey Nomad in Oz referring to grey haired travellers of no fixed address.
I organized a campervan for him which he used to get round the continent about 25 times.
His journey involved painting landscape in a fairly crude naive way, but every now and then he really nailed it.
He would come back to Melbourne once a year and have an exhibition where he sold his works cheaply and usually sold out.
This financed the next trip.
I feel his agitation with staying in one place too long but have not had any catalyst to make a similar lifestyle as I still value having a workshop to make guitars and watching the garden grow.
That's me. I am sorry for your situation largely caused by health expenses. It's an indictment on the American health system of course, and many of you folk have been thrown in the gutter by the cost of illness.
But I think you have a very positive plan and I wish you the very best with it.
May you find a quiet comfortable place to settle again when your wanderlust is satisfied.

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2016, 07:05:33 AM »
Well said sir  :thumb:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2016, 05:30:13 PM »
I'm hoping to do sort of the same thing with photographs instead of painting.  Like your dad, I throw a lot of spaghetti on the wall and occasionally a piece sticks.  If I do enough, there will be a few keepers.   :grin:  I'm also thinking about producing a line of aurora borealis note/Christmas/greeting cards.  I've got a few thousand copies of four photos already.  They sell ok, but I only make about $0.30/piece.  I'd have to get real serious about it to make it work.

Got the Rodekyll out of the truck a few minutes ago.  A little battle damage from transportation (lost tail light lenses and the m/c cup on the right handlebar.  Tried pulling the overloaded Isuzu truck into the clearing I brushed yesterday and it sank past the rubber.  Vashon Clay.  Slippery stuff.  I was lucky to extract it.  Maybe with the bike and that ton of stuff that was over it gone it will sink less.

Offline SpadapatinaII

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 06:18:59 PM »
Hey Rodekyll
You've prompted me to actually log back in after just lurking (constantly) for a few years! Always enjoyed your posts and even remember posted snaps of you on the purple beast at some rally in the early 'oughts on the old MGCL mailing list!  Good travels to you and please keep checking in regularly. If you find yourself in Lunenburg Nova Scotia at any point look me up!

Moto

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 06:52:59 PM »
Hey RK,

You've been one of the best contributors on here. I think most all of us are rooting for you, and hoping you get to a better place. We'll be waiting eagerly for tales of your new adventures.

All the best,

Moto

Kentktk

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2016, 06:56:25 PM »
"Yay! There is a God.  :boozing:"

=

?

Are we reading the same thing?  Because I don't get any "I in no way wish you ill will and have no way desire to see you suffer in any way." out of quote #1.  What I get is "Good for you, you deserve it" and then later in quote #2 use my topic as yet another opportunity to troll.  Bring on the Microsoft bait, indeed!  You thought the bar was set lower than it is, and now you're stuck under it in plain view.  Spin that.

You've been on your murder/suicide campaign ever since you ran Vasco off and became the official "most-hated troll on WildGuzzi".  Sometimes it's better for you to just shut up.  Stay out of my topics, Kentktk.  You are not welcome here.  You are not worthy.

It`s sad you are a bitter old man. I do wish you good health and happiness even if you aren`t willing to accept it.

oldbike54

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
 Let's put this whole thing to rest fellas , for the good of WG . Thanks .

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here