Author Topic: Never seen a Moto Guzzi on the road  (Read 7403 times)

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
Never seen a Moto Guzzi on the road
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
I live in New Mexico, just south of Albuquerque, and have lived in Virginia, Rhode Island and Hawaii. Been riding for 47 years now. But, I have never seen a Moto Guzzi out on the road. I have taken 6 long road trips (Alaska and Canada), but never saw one.  I know they are out there, but must be reasonably scarce in NM. That will change, I am sure, when I go to the Datil get-together in August (100 miles from me). Maybe I will no longer feel like a forlorn Guzzi rider. I personally have 8 of them right now... 6 are projects: 1970 +- Ambassadors and Eldorados, and a V9 and Stelvio. I look forward to the day when I can spot another out on the road... anxious to hear from other riders nearby, of course (and, by 'nearby', I mean within 600 or 800 miles)...
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

oldbike54

Re: Never seen a Moto Guzzi on the road
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:27:05 PM »
 Hmm , you own 8 MG's , no wonder we never see other MG's on the road  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:32:51 PM »
I just got back from the Myrtle beach rally and never saw another guzzi out of thousands of bikes. I did have several folks ask what the Calvin was and most were complementary of her. I could care less what the other ones thought either way;)

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »
Was kind of the same around here, but we are finding each other. four of us showed up at our vintage bike night last night.  Four Guzzi's in one place a rarity! 

Going to the Virginia Rally next week hope to see a lot more.

Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:56:16 PM »
That's a damn shame, Lee

You meet some pretty odd birds flying aboard the Eagle of Mandello...  Hope you find some like minded old coots...  Sounds like you have the right idea to locate a few!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:45:46 PM »
I was in London not too long ago, and I saw five Moto Guzzi's (mostly V7's, but I also saw a Breva 1100 and a Stelvio!)

When I lived in the states, I only saw a few Guzzi's except the ones at the rally's of course.

Mostly V7's in cities as well, but nothing like what I saw in London.

Germany has a fair share of them, I saw a beautiful early V700 ride through Garmisch a few weeks ago!

-Joe

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »
Funny, I was in Taos for a weekend last year and saw a T-3 café out on the road.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 04:13:47 AM »
This quote from the late Douglas Adams may help - just replace "people" with "Moto Guzzi"  :thumb:

“It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.”
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 05:57:10 AM »
I went to Autozone last week to get touchup paint for the Eldo and there was a 2013 V7 parked in front.  The young owner was deep in conversation with a white haired gent who owned a 2002 Cali.

"Izzat a Greezo?"

"Yep"  :)
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 06:30:13 AM »
I suppose I've seen a relatively large number.  One at Newfound Gap in the Smokies.  A group of 4 at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort.  Hmmm.  That's it.  I've never passed one rolling.   Encouraging local big shop to pick them up.  Must say, the big California attracts lots of attention.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 06:33:03 AM »
I live in New Mexico, just south of Albuquerque, and have lived in Virginia, Rhode Island and Hawaii. Been riding for 47 years now. But, I have never seen a Moto Guzzi out on the road. I have taken 6 long road trips (Alaska and Canada), but never saw one.  I know they are out there, but must be reasonably scarce in NM. That will change, I am sure, when I go to the Datil get-together in August (100 miles from me). Maybe I will no longer feel like a forlorn Guzzi rider. I personally have 8 of them right now... 6 are projects: 1970 +- Ambassadors and Eldorados, and a V9 and Stelvio. I look forward to the day when I can spot another out on the road... anxious to hear from other riders nearby, of course (and, by 'nearby', I mean within 600 or 800 miles)...

Here in Virginia, I never see any "random" ones ... by that I mean Moto Guzzis just out on the road, not going to the same rally as me, and not someone I'm meeting for lunch.    There's no room for them ... the motorcycling space here is completely taken up by identical Sons of Anarchy wanna-bes, extended-swingarm Busas and Gixxers, and 50cc Deweys.

However, if you make as many monthly state breakfasts and lunches as you can, and go to a rally or two, your faith in the existence of Moto Guzzi will be restored!  You will no longer feel that you are all alone in the world .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 07:14:39 AM »
I thought about buying a HD to be different like everyone else who did so. Things really are different on a Guzzi.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 07:22:06 AM »
I was sitting at a traffic light waiting for the light to change and a guy on a then new V11 Sport was attempting to rip his arm off waving at me from the opposite lane. It was funny.

The best one for me was seeing Mr.Hagen heading north from Atlanta and me heading south towards Atlanta on our newish red 2007 Norge's. I had never met Bill, but I new it had to be him and we simultaneously waved at each other.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Moto

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 08:11:17 AM »
I've seen a good number on the road in Madison, WI, over the years. Maybe five.

I also understand Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco have more than their share.

My conclusion is that Guzzies are preferred by the pinko Commies that tend to live in such places.

Moto

Offline Jake

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »
It's been rare in my travels to see another Goose, and less often do I see the vintage stuff like I ride.  Rarely see any here in Central Ohio.  Heard of a couple over NW of Columbus, but so far, just a rumor, lol.   Kind of a stealth brand, don't you think?
Granville, Ohio
1975 850-T
1977 R750/7

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 08:22:31 AM »
Charlotte, NC has a swarm of them.  Went to the local bike night and met these two.  Decided to park right next to them :)

Actually the last time I went out to Carlsbad I saw a Breva on the road from El Paso.  They are out there!

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 11:45:19 AM »
Over the years, I've seen a few in the wild.  :smiley: Maybe 20 or so.. One time, I stopped for gas 2 miles from home and saw a Hot Dawg and Mustard EV. He was clueless what a HD&M was, and I've never seen him again.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
When I lived in Albuquerque, I met a bunch of Guzzi riders, including a cool neighbor with a love of Italian bikes and a co-worker who introduced me to the Datil Wells gatherings. The hook was set and when the California Vintage was brought to America I could fight it no longer. After seeing one in person at the Atlanta Int'l MC Show, I bought the first one in Tennessee in February of '07. I met all manner of eccentric Guzzi folk here in the New Orleans area (which is sorta bizarre as the nearest dealer is 190 miles away), one the original owner of an Eldorado and another who had five Guzzis.

Perhaps it's the company I keep...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »
Over the years, I've seen a few in the wild.  :smiley:

I was trying to think of the right way to say "I saw a Moto Guzzi that was not at a rally or a breakfast meet out on the road and didn't know who it was."

You've got it!

Lannis

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »
I was trying to think of the right way to say "I saw a Moto Guzzi that was not at a rally or a breakfast meet out on the road and didn't know who it was."

You've got it!

Lannis

Lannis you've been to our former employer's Charlotte office.  I pulled up on my EV and parked right next to a 1400 Touring on several mornings.  Never knew who's it was or what company he/she worked for.

Like I said a swarm in Charlotte.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 01:14:13 PM »
Lannis you've been to our former employer's Charlotte office.  I pulled up on my EV and parked right next to a 1400 Touring on several mornings.  Never knew who's it was or what company he/she worked for.

Like I said a swarm in Charlotte.

Now that you mention it, I used to part right next to an EV at our Lynchburg office every day ....

Maybe there's more than we think there are, now that we're talking about it ....

Lannis

Lcarlson

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »
In these parts, I see Guzzis on the road regularly, but infrequently.

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
A silver Griso two up passed thru our little town while I was walking the dogs last year. The dogs did not understand my excitement.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
I have only been riding Guzzi since 1999.  Yet, not counting Guzzi rallies and breakfasts, and weird bike get togethers, I have seen lots.

Nothing even far from aproaching common, but I would bet just riding around northern IL, I have seen 30 or more.  Could be some of those where the same bike,  but most were not.  Just my experience.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 10:25:55 PM »
It's been rare in my travels to see another Goose, and less often do I see the vintage stuff like I ride.  Rarely see any here in Central Ohio.  Heard of a couple over NW of Columbus, but so far, just a rumor, lol.   Kind of a stealth brand, don't you think?

Jake,
Over here in Columbus there are a few Guzzis that come out now & then. The best place to find them is at Eurobike night, 2nd & 4th Tuesday nights in Grandview.
Send me a PM if you feeling riding in one night.
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »
Except for when I go to the Guzzi shop near me. In the past 2-3 years I have seen two that I can confirm on the 405 in the Long Beach Ca. area. One was about a week ago. There was another unconfirmed sighting about a week before that. When your closing from opposite directions at about 100mph, we pass in a blink. Otherwise it's seems about a year or more between sightings. Maybe if I went to The Rock Store I might find a few more, been a while since I've been to that area.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 12:10:36 AM »
There aren't many out here, but they can be seen. When I lived at the top of our South Island I used to see them on a regular basis. Still not common though.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline GuzziNZ

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2017, 06:13:31 AM »
Every time I see someone riding a Guzzi on the road I chase them down and wont let them go until they give me there contact detail.
So far I have about 18 owners with 24 Guzzi,s between Nelson, Blenheim and Greymouth.

They have all recovered after undergoing therapy !

Catch up for coffee in Nelson.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:25:23 AM by GuzziNZ »

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »
This thread seems to confirm my belief that Yukon has the highest per capita Guzzi ownership on the continent.
I know of six in Whitehorse and three more in Dawson City. (I've never seen any of those three on the road so I keep prodding the guy for his sidecar). Our Territory is known for attracting independent souls; seems to fit the MG mindset.
Last week I saw a Stelvio in with a Beemer headed north; had some US plate. Caught a glimpse of a purple/orange colour?
.... and for Chris from Wisconsin: bring your woolies... it was -4C on the porch two mornings ago and a local bicycle race was cancelled today due to snow. :)  Look forward to meeting you.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
Had a guy come over to me in the parking lot.  This was after work.  I was about to get on the Strada.  He starts to tell me about another Moto Guzzi that he's seen parked in the lot.  I told him it's mine.  He says "Not that one."  He starts to describe it in detail after about 7 long minutes.  He ends his monologue.  Me - "It's mine."  Him - "No.  Not that bike."   :grin: :grin: :grin:  He tries to add more detail to the description.  I get on the Strada and he tells me that I should try to find him 'cuz there can't too many Moto Guzzis in town.   :grin:  I tell him that I'll keep my eye open for him.   :wink:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here