Author Topic: Never seen a Moto Guzzi on the road  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Never seen a Moto Guzzi on the road
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »
Had a guy come over to me in the parking lot.  This was after work.  I was about to get on the Strada.  He starts to tell me about another Moto Guzzi that he's seen parked in the lot.  I told him it's mine.  He says "Not that one."  He starts to describe it in detail after about 7 long minutes.  He ends his monologue.  Me - "It's mine."  Him - "No.  Not that bike."   :grin: :grin: :grin:  He tries to add more detail to the description.  I get on the Strada and he tells me that I should try to find him 'cuz there can't too many Moto Guzzis in town.   :grin:  I tell him that I'll keep my eye open for him.   :wink:

I think the fact that many of us own multiple Guzzi make it even rare on the road as we can only ride one at a time.
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »
Just got back from the grocery store, the chip delivery guy comes over and said I was the 3rd one he'd seen in 2 days. I told him it was a trend.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2017, 12:45:11 PM »
Reminds me of Harper's potato chip tee. :popcorn:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2017, 12:55:26 PM »
Over the decades I guess I've seen dozens of Geese out in the wild. First became aware of the brand shortly after the V twins launched in the late '60s, but I may have seen my first around 1975. Began to see them with fair frequency in the Bay Area beginning around '85. In the Boulder area they're pretty common now -- you can spot one or two each week (probably the same dozen commuting around the area). We have a good dealer in Fort Collins and another in Denver -- both within 35 minutes of Boulder.

Our little town of 1500 souls boasts two Guzzisti and three Guzzis (including my disassembled T).
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2017, 12:55:26 PM »

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »
I see them all the time! I live in the Seattle Area so there are lots of them around here, but I have seen them in California, Eastern Washington, Europe (France I think) and other places. Just have to keep your eyes open.

Offline GuzziNZ

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2017, 05:13:32 PM »
Off subject but when I post a picture I notice its quite small and you need to click on it to enlarge.
So how do I make a picture larger when posting ?

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »
Well Lee here are two in Alamogordo last night! I have never seen a Guzzi on the road in West Texas in 45 years of riding! Looking forward to Datil! I'm a noob when it comes to these bikes! Shocked at what better gas mileage they get compared to my Duc's! Got 60mpg last night at 70 mph.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Offline neverquit

• Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »
In my hometown I saw one back in the late sixties, at that time it looked like a giant and I wanted one.  I saw another one in about 2013 and yet another two years ago.  So, when it rains it pours, who knows I might get to see another one any year now.

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
Except for when I go to the Guzzi shop near me. In the past 2-3 years I have seen two that I can confirm on the 405 in the Long Beach Ca. area. One was about a week ago. There was another unconfirmed sighting about a week before that. When your closing from opposite directions at about 100mph, we pass in a blink. Otherwise it's seems about a year or more between sightings. Maybe if I went to The Rock Store I might find a few more, been a while since I've been to that area.

Tom

Not that many show up at the Rock Store, although there were two today.  One was a V7II with short little mufflers that sounded very nice, and the other was my Norge.  From time to time another one or two will show up on Fridays for lunch and once in a blue moon we'll get a V7, Scura, or Le Mans on the weekends.

I see a couple on a regular basis running around the San Fernando Valley. And from time to time, I see a white Cali 1400 at a PGR mission.

I would expect to see more of them as the dealer (Thousand Oaks (Guzzi) Powersports) is selling them on a regular basis. They sold five in one week not too long ago.

Come on out for lunch some Friday and say Hi.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
I've seen a couple of different Ambassadors/Eldorado's - couldn't tell which because I haven't gotten a good enough look with my inexpert eyes - on weekdays once in awhile in the Arlington, VA area in the past couple of years.  Not going to a rally and, at the time, no nearby MG dealer in the area, so they were just tooling around on personal business. 
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 11:55:35 PM »

I would expect to see more of them as the dealer (Thousand Oaks (Guzzi) Powersports) is selling them on a regular basis. They sold five in one week not too long ago.

Come on out for lunch some Friday and say Hi.

jdg

5 in one week, must have been to the same guy for his collection  :evil: :wink:

Might just have to do that and play with the traffic home one of these Fridays. Been years since I've been up to the Store. Many many moons ago I was up there every few weeks on my old Eldo.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 01:28:13 AM »
5 in one week, must have been to the same guy for his collection  :evil: :wink:

Might just have to do that and play with the traffic home one of these Fridays. Been years since I've been up to the Store. Many many moons ago I was up there every few weeks on my old Eldo.

Tom

Fridays are a completely different vibe. It's a dozen or so of us regulars, hanging out, bench racing, eating and sometimes a bit of riding.  Most of us have been hanging around for decades - I first ran into the place back in the mid-60s when I got my first car.  For some reason, Vern still lets me come around.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 04:47:28 AM »
My girlfriend and I play a game each summer called random Guzzi sighting.  In the last few years, our average is probably 2 -3.  Friends bikes don't count as we all know each other anyways.  We even get excited when we see a BMW.  Anyone care to guess the most popular bike in our area?   :laugh:
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »
Makes me think of a day just after buying my Spot 1100.

I had heard from the dealer (TrakStar, RIP) about how rare the Sports were and while that didn't sway my decision to buy, i did think it was kind of a perk.

So, not long after, I'm sitting at an intersection on Lake Street in Minneapolis and lo & behold, another Sport is across the way form me. Just before we each get our respective green-lights, yet ANOTHER pulls up on the road to my right.

3 Guzzis, ALL sport 1100s and in only the second year of production. Three different colors to boot.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »
Makes me think of a day just after buying my Spot 1100.

I had heard from the dealer (TrakStar, RIP) about how rare the Sports were and while that didn't sway my decision to buy, i did think it was kind of a perk.

So, not long after, I'm sitting at an intersection on Lake Street in Minneapolis and lo & behold, another Sport is across the way form me. Just before we each get our respective green-lights, yet ANOTHER pulls up on the road to my right.

3 Guzzis, ALL sport 1100s and in only the second year of production. Three different colors to boot.

Todd.

Probably all owned by medicandy now

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »
Probably all owned by medicandy now

Maybe the other two. Mine's patio art these days. It will be very tough to give that bike up even though I haven't started it in nearly 10 years!

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline ES1

• New Egg
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
I've only seen three others in the wild and a whole bunch sitting in the dealers, I've never been on mine during a sighting.

First was coming home from the grocery store less than a mile from home, it was another Nevada(red/red) and the owner turned out to be my Father's coworker.

Second was at Clingman's Dome, A man that appeared to be touring on a V7(silver/white?), maybe in his 30s.

Third was another Nevada(black/red) sitting on the street in Portland Oregon, never found the operator.

I always wanted a Guzzi buddy, I guess my partner can ride the Nevada now and I'll have the Quota, problem solved!

2004 Nevada 750 ie
2000 Quota 1100 ES

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2017, 03:24:20 PM »
While finishing up my Father's Day ride with my daughter in the mountains, I was stopped at an intersection in town and saw a V7 Café Classic crossing in front of me with a bicycle mounted behind the rider.  Looked to be a quality attachment as there was no motion up or down or sideways from the bicycle.

Offline yellowheader

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2017, 03:37:56 PM »
Ooh! Ooh! I saw a silver 1400 just this morning as I was riding around town on my Cali Stone! On my way to work I pass a house with a skunk-striped 1400 parked next to a couple of Harleys.

I've seen one other Guzzi in the wild since I took up riding again five years ago. At the time I didn't know what model I was looking at, but I think it might have been some version of the California 1100 in white. An older gentleman, not dressed like a pirate, was riding it.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2017, 04:04:49 PM »
Ooh! Ooh! I saw a silver 1400 just this morning as I was riding around town on my Cali Stone! On my way to work I pass a house with a skunk-striped 1400 parked next to a couple of Harleys.

I've seen one other Guzzi in the wild since I took up riding again five years ago. At the time I didn't know what model I was looking at, but I think it might have been some version of the California 1100 in white. An older gentleman, not dressed like a pirate, was riding it.

I ride the Yellowhead often (BC).  Usually my antique Convert.  I've seen V7s and a couple of Stelvios randomly, but the guys I ride with are usually the only other guzzis I see up there.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
I just returned from driving >650 miles from San Francisco to Medocino and back for 7 days.  I saw a lot of motorcycles, but only saw ONE Guzzi , nd it was a red Norge riding two-up last Sat. (6-10) along the Embarcadero in SFO.  I was driving, so could not take a photo.  Anyone here?  :1: :thumb: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2017, 10:27:39 PM »
Living in the Seattle area, I do see Guzzis reasonably often, but still rarely enough for me to notice and think 'Ooohhh, Guzzi'. Lots more Triumphs. But now yuo've said it, I'm going to notice when I see my next Guzzi that I don't already know...wonder how long it will take?

- P
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2017, 12:46:40 AM »
Fridays are a completely different vibe. It's a dozen or so of us regulars, hanging out, bench racing, eating and sometimes a bit of riding.  Most of us have been hanging around for decades - I first ran into the place back in the mid-60s when I got my first car.  For some reason, Vern still lets me come around.

jdg

Well you got me beat on the first time to the Store. I would have been there on the Eldo in about '80. The last time I was there ?? years ago, I said to myself, boy this place has changed. Add on in back for food and all, alcohol area, but the heads were still the leaky ones with the river down the walk on the side of the diner. Some things didn't change.

Used to go up there with a few riders and have a few cold ones, sometimes go uphill and watch riders fall off in the twisties and then head down to Sagebrush Cantina for a snack and a cold one or two. Wow the memories.

Might just have to mess with the Friday traffic to get up there. The 405 used to be such an easy ride back in the day :wink: :sad:

Tom

2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »
Southern BC (Greater Vancouver area) has a few...not many, but enough to be noticed.

According to my friend who also is the one sold my stone to me, I am one of a handful Asian who rides a Guzzi in the Western side...

Let just say we all have our own perks LOL...

Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:10 PM »
After about a year I finally have seen one. A year or so ago, I had noticed a CalVin going by on the road at my work. He noticed me. Hew stopped one fay and said he come by with his bike. Never saw him again.

Well he stopped by on his nice looking Calvin today. Figured that I was on my H word today. He was about to drive by but I stopped and he stopped. Heck I thought it might be that guy from a while back.

So we had a nice little chat. The parking lot got busy so we decided it was time to go.

I should have mentioned this board and Mark, but didn't get the chance. I think he may deal with Cycle Garden.

Hope to see him again and have him show up here. Or is he here already???

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here