Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: Amazonas
« Last post by s1120 on April 15, 2024, 05:26:17 AM »
I remember seeing the Amazonas road test article in Cycle World. It was pretty fast with the hotrod motor in it.
I used to see in the parking lot at the old Loudon track many years ago, a loop frame Guzzi with a Subaru motor and a fully enclosed sidecar on it. Wonder what ever happened to it.
Larry

That bike with the Subaru engine has been at the IMOC rally the last times ive been there. Its a cool ride!! 
General Discussion / Re: Why multis are better - Nerd-alert!
« Last post by s1120 on April 15, 2024, 05:22:47 AM »
I prefer singles and twins myself, and I also prefer an engine that feels eager vs one that is fast but feels gutless. For instance, my son's MT-07 feels like a rocket, while my brother's 955i Triumph feels rather slow, yet in any kind of performance comparison, the latter just kills the Yamaha. My KZ1300 DFI was the same thing; was fast, felt slow.

Thats the thing right there. Its the feel. Unless your racing, ill take a bike that feels stringer in the power range used, over a more powerful engine, that feels kinda flat. I think a lot of us like a little crudeness in the power delivery. Ive always said its a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then a fast bike slow.
General Discussion / Re: Creamy oil in airbox
« Last post by Dukedesmo on April 15, 2024, 04:09:27 AM »

Quote from: Kev m on Today at 01:32:31 AM
Is your track car air cooled?

The challenge of air cooled motors, especially bikes, is to make sure they cool sufficiently in all conditions which can lead to overcooling in conditions they are used less often in.
___________________ ___________________ ________

Indeed, compare my 2 Ducatis for instance:
Effectively they are very similar engines, sharing the same bottom end and similar displacement but one being air cooled, the other water cooled. Not only does the water cooled engine run at a more consistent temperature it also warms up much quicker, especially noticeable as I have the same aftermarket digital dash on both which displays oil temperature and the air cooled takes an age even show a temperature (only displays when above 40c) whereas the water cooled hits 40c within a couple of minutes.
Also, in all but extremely hot conditions the air cooled runs a cooler oil temperature (generally by 10 - 20 degrees) but, in extreme heat will ultimately get hotter - though being in England that is rare...

« Last post by faffi on April 15, 2024, 12:23:22 AM »
The problem is the narrow use of the term "better" which in and of itself means nothing until it is qualified.

Multis are not "better" enough in anything that matters to me, ergo the "facts" are irrelevant.

Tastes are subjective.

The title was chosen to provoke. And as you say, what is better or worse can always be debated, because priorities vary. If you like the workout from chopping trees with an axe, it does not matter if a chain saw can do the same job much quicker.

However, my point was not about tastes or preferences - as mentioned, I prefer singles and twins (and find fours to be stressful just by the way they sound) - but that when it comes to flexibility and power, more cylinders (to a point) have the upper hand. If that matters.
General Discussion / Re: Good Day for Aprilia in Moto GP
« Last post by faffi on April 15, 2024, 12:13:12 AM »
It was edge of the seat stuff, nearly as good as the sprint race the previous day :thumb:
General Discussion / Re: Good Day for Aprilia in Moto GP
« Last post by azccj on April 14, 2024, 10:37:08 PM »
Yes it was a good day for them. Something I discovered when the new MotoGp season started this year, is that you can watch all the races live on HBO/MAX.
Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only / Re: V50 III refresh project
« Last post by jamesfjamesf on April 14, 2024, 09:11:20 PM »
I spent the past 3-4 days trying to get the rear fender mounted so that it would be isolated from the frame and there would be no torque on it from the triangular shape of the fender wall. In addition to fabricating sleeves with grommets and drilling out the fender holes, I had to bend the bender mounting brackets back into position so they matched the inside angle of the fender wall.

If I knew it would take this long I'd have ordered the grommet and sleeve form Harper's for $25 and waited the week for shipping. I'm satisfied with the end result but not proud of the hack. Also not impressed with what was clearly a hack from Guzzi getting the fender mounted. But I had about a CC of Simichrome left to polish up the grab bar and the 70s vibe makes me smile.

jim

direct english film
Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only / Re: Another Benelli Egg bike
« Last post by cliffrod on April 14, 2024, 08:18:51 PM »
The progress looks great, Jim.
General Discussion / Re: Still Kicking
« Last post by Tkelly on April 14, 2024, 07:49:58 PM »
Peter Egan blames his stroke on kicking over a Norton.
« Last post by Frulk on April 14, 2024, 07:39:47 PM »
I really like my 2013 CB1100. Its performance numbers on paper don’t tell the whole story. It has very usable torque at all RPMs but you don’t need to go above 5K to tap into it. I like to lug it around town because you can just roll the throttle and have torque when and where you need it without shifting. That engine is WAY under stressed.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here